Greetings you maniacs. How are the arcades?

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter
Favorite Game: QBert Ms Pacman

Greetings you maniacs. How are the arcades?

Post by Thulsa » November 17th, 2019, 6:43 pm

Got a few questions for me old mates! Help seemed the best category at the moment.

Firstly, was playing some MAME last weekend and some of my games have just disappeared. Games always used to play. My main example is Cyvern. I went looking to play it with a friend which I have done many times and it is just gone. Any else ever experience this? I made no updates to either the bios or the rom itself. Nothing new to MAME so it should be just fine. makes me think my files are bad or my hard drive is going out.

This got me thinking after at least a ten year run or so it may be time to update my cabinet. What are everyone's thoughts on current builds for MAME?
Any problems moving to a new OS I should worry about. Most like 7 now possibly Win 10 if i upgrade. Any current builds of MAME i should be weary of that will mess things up? I am not worried about the Rom side of things I think I have that covered. Mainly looking to upgrade the PC, OS and MAME. Then some hardware repairs as needed but my game database and play ability is my main concern once I start making changes.

Also any cool changes to the Front End world scene? Still running MALA since I installed it.

:hello:
My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.
~Thulsa Doom~

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Re: Greetings you maniacs. How are the arcades?

Post by Hierophant » November 17th, 2019, 8:50 pm

G'day, Thulsa, great to heart from you, mate! :hello:

Can't say I've ever had any files just up and disappear like that. Did you check if the Cyvern ROM file is still in the proper folder? Did you do an audit of Cyvern? As you say, it could be a sign that your system is wearing out.

The only current MAME build I'm bothering with these days is the one Panther discovered for us, here:

Arcade - The continuation of MAMEUIFX - https://mameaddicts.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2599

So in short, that has all the characteristics of MAMEUIFX we came to know and love before it ended; e.g. only lists arcades (no fruit machines, calculators, etc.), has built in shaders to turn an LCD into a virtual CRT. There are no new features being added, but the MAME Dev who takes care of it keeps it in sync with official MAME releases.

I don't see any problems with moving on to Windows 10. Good old MAMEPPK 0.119 from way back in 2007 still runs fine on Windows 10.

I'll leave current front-end stuff to Panther.

Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter

Post by Thulsa » November 17th, 2019, 9:35 pm

Well the only way that file left its directory is if the file legit grew wings from the game itself and flew away. I am guessing the old PC is on its last leg. I will check out that link for sure. Updating non working roms after I update MAME will be interesting. While I am looking forward to the work and maybe finding some new titles at the same time. I am also dreading going through my library and making sure everyone is working correctly. I have been rather frustrated that Cyvern is gone. Makes me wonder how many other games have gone MIA and I just have not noticed. :rofl:
My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.
~Thulsa Doom~

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Post by PantherUK » November 18th, 2019, 1:09 am

Hello old wingman... Frontend wise I just use Launchbox on Windows and Arc Browser on Android, although on my cabinet I still just tend to use the Arcade menu system, as Hiero says it's exactly like MAMEUIFX, although I haven't updated it in a fair while... If it ain't broke etc... Good to see you about my friend...
Ooer... No pictures...

Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter

Post by Thulsa » November 18th, 2019, 5:03 pm

I will browse around and see what is out there in the Front End world. I want something shiny and new I think. Overall it is looking more and more like a PC failure this thing is an old work horse as far as computers go. Probably about 12-15 years old. So I have some work to do in the PC area and MAME software area as well. Might change out some buttons as well.
~Thulsa Doom~

PantherUK

Post by PantherUK » November 19th, 2019, 1:29 am

Worth a quick look anyway mate...

Ooer... No pictures...

PantherUK

Post by PantherUK » November 19th, 2019, 1:32 am

The PC in my cabinet is getting on for 10 years old now, when it turns its toes up I may well go down the Raspberry Pi route...
Ooer... No pictures...

Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter

Post by Thulsa » November 20th, 2019, 2:17 pm

going to be honest. No idea what that is. I am too old for change. I fear change. :wizard:
~Thulsa Doom~

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » November 21st, 2019, 3:01 am

I know the feeling.... :unsure: