Billy Mitchell - Banned from Twin Galaxies for using Mame

This forum is designed for gamers to come together and socialize.
Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Billy Mitchell - Banned from Twin Galaxies for using Mame

Post by Incito » April 19th, 2018, 2:21 am

So, Billy Mitchell's scores on Twin Galaxies are gone, and he has been banned (despite providing TG financial assistance).
This means that Steve Wiebe is the first player to ever get 1M points on a Donkey Kong arcade.
Official Scores now: https://www.twingalaxies.com/game/donke ... wed/page/1

So, why bring this up?
Simple ....
Billy Mitchell claims he never used mame, but it has been shown that the video he sent to TG on the King of Kong documentary was generated by a game played on mame (specially version 0.124).

Per TG,
"From a Twin Galaxies viewpoint, the only important thing to know is whether or not the score performances are from an unmodified original DK arcade PCB as per the competitive rules. We now believe that they are not from an original unmodified DK arcade PCB, and so our investigation of the tape content ends with that conclusion and assertion."
https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthread ... post964048

Why does it matter?
On mame, you can easily pause a game, or use save states till you get the rng to work the way you want. Furthermore, it is not too hard to splice video together to fake a good score.

I have no doubts that Billy Mitchell is a great player on Pac-Man, and Donkey Kong. It is a shame that he had to cheat and submit a bull crap score on the movie Kong of Kong. I really felt bad for Steve Wiebe would basically had to beat his own score to be the king of Kong. At least Steve Wiebe is now recognized as the 1st player to brake 1M points on Donkey Kong.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Re: Billy Mitchell - Banned from Twin Galaxies for using Mame

Post by Hierophant » April 22nd, 2018, 4:15 am

I've been following that news on YouTube, too. Same deal with Todd Rogers earlier this year. Google him and you'll find plenty of articles and videos.

It's sad that they decided to bolster their fragile egos with this fraud, but it's good to see that TG is taking serious action based on the evidence.

Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter
Favorite Game: QBert Ms Pacman

Post by Thulsa » May 3rd, 2018, 8:28 pm

I kind of laughed when I saw the news. Makes how he was portrayed in King of Kong a bit more accurate. He did say in his initial response that he had evidence to prove he didn't cheat. I wonder what that will be . Hi everybody. Hiero and I were talking about this on twitch the other day. :hello:
My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.
~Thulsa Doom~

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » May 10th, 2018, 5:22 am

Incito was right all along; he has a mullet so he must be evil! :rofl:

You talking about this, Thulsa?

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see if he actually has anything meaningful to add at this point.

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Post by PantherUK » May 11th, 2018, 1:04 am

The guy is clearly a bit of a wally, and annoying, but from what I've seen on this, isn't it all he could of cheated but we aren't sure that he did..?
Ooer... No pictures...

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » May 18th, 2018, 3:49 am

To answer your question, Panther, I think this video does a good job of wrangling together all the relevant info in a reasonably concise, easily digestible manner:

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Post by PantherUK » May 20th, 2018, 11:32 pm

I shall give that a look see later, cheers mate...
Ooer... No pictures...