New to MAME

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
Fennec
Gamer
Gamer

New to MAME

Post by Fennec » February 3rd, 2018, 6:41 am

Hey guys, what's up?

A little about me:

I was fortunate enough to grow up in a family owned arcade. Eventually, we sold the arcade and moved to another city. Took a few games with us: Bubble Bobble & Double Dragon, but sadly, they aren't around anymore. Used to play at a local arcade until it shut down many years ago. Moved onto consoles: NES/Sega Genesis/Super NES etc. At the age of 14 I bought my first PC and played competitive/professional. (Myth: The Fallen Lords, Warcraft 2, Starcraft & Brood War, Warcraft 3 etc.)

Now that I'm older and I can't afford to sit in front of a computer grinding games for 8-12 hours a day to play professionally, I'm just looking to re-create that chill arcade experience with MAME.

I started out with some basic emulation a few days ago: Snes9x/Fusion/Mesen which involved some trial and error to get everything working 100% but for the most part pretty straight-forward. Through this experience I realized that certain arcade games either weren't ported to console or the ports were terrible. Another reason I'm looking to give MAME a try.

I'm a little hesitant about the process though as It seems quite involved and I have a lot of questions that you've probably all heard before. I've been reading about MAME for the past 4 hours trying to figure out the best way to approach this situation to play the games I want to play. I may make a post else where asking for help. Well, that's about it. Any questions, just ask.

Also, do you blacklist VPN's here? I just noticed that my IP has been blocked while I'm on a VPN ;x

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Re: New to MAME

Post by PantherUK » February 3rd, 2018, 7:21 am

I'd say jump right in, get a version of mame, get a matching r0m set, Google can help with that, and dive in... There are plenty of guides in the Mame help section to get you up and running... With regards to VPN's, they are not blacklisted per se, but if a node has been used to $p@m the board then that IP will likely be blocked... Welcome to Mameaddicts... :hello:
Ooer... No pictures...

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Post by Incito » February 3rd, 2018, 9:54 am

Welcome!
This site was almost gone, but it survived because folks like you still need it. Glad to have ya.
I’ll be adding by a links page soon that’s can help you out so check back often. :V:

Fennec
Gamer
Gamer

Post by Fennec » February 3rd, 2018, 3:27 pm

PantherUK wrote:
February 3rd, 2018, 7:21 am
I'd say jump right in, get a version of mame, get a matching r0m set, Google can help with that, and dive in... There are plenty of guides in the Mame help section to get you up and running... With regards to VPN's, they are not blacklisted per se, but if a node has been used to $p@m the board then that IP will likely be blocked... Welcome to Mameaddicts... :hello:
That's what I'm stressing about - apart from figuring out command lines. How do you get a matching ROM set for the version of MAME that you have? I'm aware of three or so different websites that host MAME ROM sets, but I'm not hopeful that they'll work because they were probably released on a very old version of MAME and I don't know which version that is.

So many questions hehe. But I'll save these for the "MAME Help" section.

PantherUK

Post by PantherUK » February 3rd, 2018, 9:30 pm

Most sets from decent sites will tell you which version they are for...
Ooer... No pictures...

Incito
Founder
Founder

Post by Incito » February 4th, 2018, 4:10 am

The video is a little dated but the installation is the same.
https://youtu.be/sMWSbsFvpWQ

There are many tutorials that can be found on the Mame Addicts YouTube channel.

Fennec
Gamer
Gamer

Post by Fennec » February 5th, 2018, 2:34 am

PantherUK wrote:
February 3rd, 2018, 9:30 pm
Most sets from decent sites will tell you which version they are for...
Yes, I've noticed that emuparadise will tell you what version of MAME the ROM is for (though, I'm not sure if that's the case with every ROM). Some people I've spoken to have told me that sometimes the ROMs will work even if the MAME/ROM versions don't match.
Problem is, I've been been using MAMEUI64 and I can only find the latest version (1.94) here http://www.mameui.info/

The MAME ROM versions I've seen on Emuparadise are quite a lot older than 1.94. I'm kinda interested in using an updated version of MAME because according to your own FAQ:

"Using a current version of MAME means you may be able to play some games
that were broken or unavailable in older versions. There may be other general benefits from current MAME
code as emulation accuracy continually improves."

I should mention that I went with MAMEUI64 because I've seen the most tutorials for it on YouTube. Other than that, I didn't have any preference, I just didn't want to deal with the original command line MAME. Once I get the hang of MAMEUI64 and my ROMs work, I'll likely be using LaunchBox + Kodi Plugin anyhow.

So what would you advise I do? Use an older emulator and which build/version?
I've come across this list of MAME builds. Any suggestions, or are they all about the same? For now I'll continue to read your FAQ and any other information I can find on MAME. I'm pretty determined to get this working.

AdvanceMAME
AgeMAME
BeOSMAME
CPS2MAME
DMAME
EEMame
EMAME9210
HBMAME
iMAME
MacMAME
MadeInMAME32
MAME
MAME Plus!
MAME Analog+
MAMECE3
MAME OS X
MAMEUI
MAMEUIFX
MisfitMAME
PinMAME
SDLMAME
VPinMAME
ZMAME

Fennec
Gamer
Gamer

Post by Fennec » February 5th, 2018, 2:42 am

Incito wrote:
February 4th, 2018, 4:10 am
The video is a little dated but the installation is the same.
https://youtu.be/sMWSbsFvpWQ

There are many tutorials that can be found on the Mame Addicts YouTube channel.
I watched that video before I read this post. Hehe
I see that you're using MAMEUIFX version 0.144 which is different build? than my MAMEUI64 and It's quite an old version compared to the MAMEUIFX version I'm using now. Hmmm

As I mentioned in the response post above (that hasn't been approved yet), I'm not sure what to do about MAMEUI64 because they only offer the latest version and it won't be compatible with that many ROMs because the ROMs I've been finding on various websites are older. It seems like this will be quite the headache to get the ROMs to match the version of MAME I'm using, unless there's some place to find a new version of MAME with the corresponding ROM SETS. I guess I'll keep looking, or do you have any suggestions?

Incito
Founder
Founder

Post by Incito » February 5th, 2018, 1:14 pm

First off ... it is taking me a little longer than usual to approve post. You only need 5 post to be approved in the beginning. After that, you wont have to wait. $p@mmers are the reason for this.

Did you have a look at this yet? http://mameaddicts.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=286
The link got placed back last night.

My personal experience for what it's worth ....
I see no problem with using mameui64 ... I have version 0.179, and 0.161.
There a a couple of games that I care about that this plays where my other version 0.119 does not. However, all the classics I love have been playable for many years on the earlier 0.119 version.

Most of these games do not get remastered, if you will.
Plus, Mameppk 0.119 is the ONLY version that lets you play mame online with friends. :wink:

If it helps, I found that planetemu usually will have the most updated roms .0185.

So, dont get too wrapped up in getting the newest version because mame devs are releases a new version like every month. Just pick a version and work with that. Like I said I use 0.119 the most. Zero Team 2000 is the only game I switch to 0.161.

Hierophant is the most experienced with versions and such. Perhaps he can comment? :link:

PantherUK

Post by PantherUK » February 5th, 2018, 5:24 pm

Ooer... No pictures...