Major Havoc lines disappear

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
Scottes

Major Havoc lines disappear

Post by Scottes » November 25th, 2017, 9:11 am

A friend an I recently built control panels in order to play, among other games, Major Havoc. Alas, this game is unplayable, since the space levels - especially the Maze - have elements that disappear. Lines and ships and bullets disappear and then reappear 1-3 seconds later. This happens to both of us - and we're both running 0.189, have the same mhavoc.zip, the same monitor, and our control panels are effectively identical. He runs Win 7 and I run Win 10. Both have Nvidia cards, though very different ones. All Windows software and drivers are up-to-date.

I've tried numerous Mame settings, changing just about every video and vector setting. Not always 1 setting at a time, but usually. That didn't help - but then again I'm no expert in what might matter. Other vector games (Asteroids, Tempest and Gravitar) all work fine, as do all raster games.

And there is a known bug in mhavoc: Some graphics disappear or are not drawn at all. mmarino4 (ID 06668).

While it would make sense to write this off due to a very fitting bug, I have seen recent videos of people playing Major Havoc under Mame. Those videos make me think it's possible to play this game properly. But I'm not sure what to do. Is this a setting issue? Or would a particular Mame version work?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Scottes

Re: Major Havoc lines disappear

Post by Scottes » November 26th, 2017, 8:17 am

Well, problem worked around. I found the complete text of the bug, saw that the issues started occurring in 0.174, so I downloaded 0.173b and I can now play Major Havoc. I don't get all the new, cool features with 0.173b but at least the game plays fine.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Re: Major Havoc lines disappear

Post by Hierophant » November 26th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Yes, apart from using an older, pre-bug version of MAME, the other option is to just wait and see if that bug gets fixed in a future version.

http://mametesters.org/view.php?id=6668