Board index Other Emulators Seraph's Top 100 Non-Arcade Games Discussion

Seraph's Top 100 Non-Arcade Games Discussion

Although we like to keep it MAME only here, if you just HAVE to post about other emus, then here you go.
Post December 17th, 2016, 4:24 pm
Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

This is to discuss my Top 100 Non-Arcade games list. In short, my list is organized to ensure a reasonable breakdown of games considering the massive console and PC game library before 2000. I will do another list for modern gaming. The number of games in each system were selected based upon my overall reception of the system, and games that hold a high replay value for me. If I'm considering playing some Non-Arcade games, this is the list I select through and the games of its franchise. Before Mame Addicts, I had missed a few real gems on the Arcade, but in old console and PC gaming I have played just about everything from Base Wars on the NES to Blast Chamber on PSX (both on my side honorable mentions list for competitive gaming). Over time, I will post a brief review of games that made it on the list that, may be up for question for some.

Link to Top 100 Non-Arcade Games list - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2558
Last edited by Seraph on January 26th, 2017, 5:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt... and I'm all out of bubblegum. - George Nada (They Live)

Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Disclaimer: Since the focus here at Mame Addicts is Arcade gaming, I chose to cover each game briefly and allow members to explore some nostalgic gaming for themselves. This also allows me to more quickly cover these games with my justification for certain titles. It also allows me to get back to Arcade reviews sooner.

I will be covering titles based upon the following criteria: The game must not be generally regarded as known to most gamers. Why discuss Super Mario Bros. 3?! OK, bad example but more on that later. Note: If I did not reference a game for discussion here and you have not played it such as Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, then you have some serious gaming to do! Secondly, the game has multiple games in a series, and I decided that the best game was one game over another but there is no clear winner by many. This list does not mean that I advocate skipping out on Castlevania (first game in the series on the NES), but it simply means that if you were to introduce a franchise to someone, you may want to start with the best title to gauge interest (up to you). Now for the reviews...
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt... and I'm all out of bubblegum. - George Nada (They Live)

Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Adventure Island (AI): One could argue why each of these titles are regarded as the best in the series and I would recommend them all. However, in my opinion the easiest to remove from the top choice is AI III. Don't be duped by new features such as a dinosaur to mount like Yoshi, item, weapon, etc. The level design and progression, music, difficulty, and thought from AI II vs. AI III makes AI II my favorite in the series. Only because those two are the closest in similarity is this the first to go. AI IV is out for me not because the developers attempted to do something creative, but it is simply not my pick of games in its genre to start someone with. Consider that this game is competing with my preferences against Metroid and Castlevania II. It's why many of these games are even called Metroidvanias. It is still a very worthy game to explore, but certainly not the best in the series. Hudson's AI or AI I is the last to go for me for why I gravitate to NES, the sheer difficulty oh and it started it all. If you don't know about the Hudson bee, it is among the hardest games on the NES. This is a good game to test platforming skill and see how far someone can get on one continue without the bee!

Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Double Dragon (DD): Most people likely saw that list and said Seraph is off his rocker but hear me out. Look up DD III on youtube and you'll see most of them mock the Bimmy and Jimmy error. However, the gameplay is better than its Arcade counterpart for one. I loved the gameplay and being able to gather heroes as you go had a Castlevania III feel to it. The difficulty was also crushingly tough, and I think my favorite DD level of all the games has got to be the Japan stage. DD II on the other hand was regarded as almost flawless for the NES, but I would rather play this on the Arcade personally. Even the platforming aspect was very cool but what hurt this game was the special move mechanics. Knowing how to apply the special moves rendered the game from easy and dull to near impossible. Although DD I started it all and Mission IV was especially memorable, oh and the vs game was kinda fun in limited doses, it wasn't enough to be a best in series title.

Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Guerilla War: For SNK fans this is a no brainer. 2 Player Co-Op play you say Seraph?! Sure, we could have done without unlimited continues for difficulty but the added touches in the gameplay makes this the best version to play even above the Arcade game, which is rare like Double Dragon III. One of my best friends had this game and I enjoyed it a lot throughout my childhood. Fortunately, I did not need to discover this later in life like a few other games on the list. If I wanted another game on the list to shoot stuff I could have picked Duck Hunt, but this a gem that is constantly left off people's Top NES lists for no reason except maybe they have no idea that they must play this game. This is also a rare title that is not a conventional title but still makes it on both my Arcade and Non-Arcade lists.

Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Holy Diver: One of two Famicom games that made it on my list. The developer Irem is known for a few titles such as R-Type, but this is my favorite title they created. They essentially took from the best features of many of the best NES games and "borrowed" them. From the Belmont character from Castlevania, to the Zelda interface, and maybe Xexyz which didn't make the cut on my list but an honorable mention. The difficulty is NES tough and the elements of so many games made it an unoriginal but excellent gem. People that want a gem that is a platform alternative may look towards Shatterhand or Little Samson.

Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Little Nemo: The Dream Master: You didn't put Duck Tales on your list, what about the Moon level or Transylvania?! Nemo is a better game in my opinion in every regard except the Moon's music in Duck Tales. Nemo has nicely done cutscenes that take you back to a highly recommended Disney movie gem most of you may have missed. The gameplay is longer and the level design is much more complex. The difficulty is higher, and the variety in gameplay keeps you entertained as you navigate through each scene. Oh and if that doesn't sell you this game, did I mention that there are numerous animals you feed candy throughout the game to tame them and allow you to ride them like a Yoshi?! This came out right around the same time as Super Mario World, but with more animals and more abilities than the Yoshis gave you. This is a gem worth at least one playthrough.

Post December 17th, 2016, 11:45 pm
Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Mega Man (MM): This conversation here is the most argued debate within a single franchise on the NES. Most of the comparisons usually end with MM 2 with MM 3 closely behind. MM 4 gets a slight nod for its new Mega Buster allowing you to charge your shot for a more powerful and larger burst of energy to attack the enemy. MM 5 gets some additional upgrades and so does 6 but 5 is truely where the NES peaked. They are all great games! 1 is mostly looked at for its difficulty alone and being the first in the series. Where MM 2 stands above 3 is in the large gap between MM 1 and 2 vs. MM 2 and 3. MM 2 has the best music by far of any game in the series and argued to have the best tracks on the NES. Each boss and the level design and the castle progression sets the gameplay just above MM 3. Especially the first level at the castle in MM 2, but I don't want to say more to avoid spoilers. Where people tend to gravitate to MM 3 is when considering the introduction of Rush the dog, Proto Man, storyline, and a few of the bosses/gadgets. In the end, I selected MM 2 like everyone else that reviews this series on the NES for the pure quality of gameplay over the improvements in gimmicks as in Adventure Island II vs. III. I have disagreed with many throughout my lists from real gameplay experience as a child and adult, but here MM 2 slightly comes on top. To truely understand you'll just have to play the entire series!

Post December 18th, 2016, 12:34 pm
Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Ninja Gaiden (NG): Usually this discussion can be left between NG I and NG II. Although NG III is a solid NES title, it didn't have much to offer as far as being a memorable title when comparing it to the best in series. NG I, the game that started it all. Most people gravitate to this over NG II for its Level design and gameplay genius, and the cutscenes were very imaginative considering the developers only had 8-Bit to work with. For a platformer game of its time, the pure difficulty was among the best the console had to offer. The music kept you engaged and every death taunted you to try and die again. I don't want to ruin this experience for you, but NG II had ramped up the graphics, excellent music, and the controls and gameplay mechanics were outstanding. Where NG II fell short was its crippling slowdown and difficulty reduction compared to NG I, which is why people played NG I and enjoyed pushing Ryu through the levels. Specifically, the added graphics and gameplay mechanics narrowly brings this game back to top tier, but likely due to its hastily developed sequel, the misapplication of these new features hurt the game in some areas where it should have clearly stolen the show.

Post December 18th, 2016, 12:41 pm
Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Shadow of the Ninja: I don't know if this game needs mentioning but unless you were deeply involved in the NES library as a child you likely missed this gem. Natsume developed this game and most have only experienced them through Power Blade. I have a game on my SNES list to come soon that was by the same developer. Who didn't like ninja games in the 80s and 90s?! What was special about this game was in short everything: gameplay, level design, new gameplay mechanics for this sort of game, graphics, music, it seems like I'm just going through the motions of rambling every aspect of the game and yes that's cheap. However, you play this with a friend and tell me that wasn't some of the best NES fun you've ever had. Yes, you heard right folks, 2 player co-op has come to the ninja scene!

Next

Return to Other Emulators

Google+