Board index Arcade Cabinets and More! Big Blue frontend

Big Blue frontend

Show us your cabinet, control panel, or clever mod. Tell us what you did and share how you did it. Bask in the glory!
Post June 16th, 2014, 1:51 am
bigbluefe Gamer Supreme
Gamer Supreme

I made an arcade cabinet frontend that I'd like to share with you.

What's unique about this frontend is that the frontend itself is a video game. It supports MAME and any other program that you can launch from the command line. It's free, of course, and the source code is available on request. It also comes with a powerful configuration utility that lets you easily manage multiple game lists. Unlike most slow and chunky frontends, it boots almost instantly, and you can navigate through the games extremely quickly. It runs extremely smoothly, too. It'll run at whatever refresh rate your display can do (30hz through 144hz). It supports any resolution from 320x240 to 3840x2160, so it'll work on a 15khz arcade monitor in progressive mode all the way through the latest 4k LCD monitor. It supports 4:3 and widescreen aspect ratios, 4:3 letterboxing for widescreen displays, and it supports rotation for vertically oriented monitors.

It even uses a pixel shader to change the graphics during different times of day based on your computer's clock.

Enjoy!

https://sites.google.com/site/bigbluefrontend/

--Incito edit --
Link Approved and added in

Post June 17th, 2014, 6:54 am
Incito User avatar
Founder
Founder

Well, I have not configured it yet. After a quick launch it look really good so far. I will let my Site Admin have a look at this too. If he approves, then I would be happy to promote this. However, there is one issue where when I click config it say I don't have correct windows. I chose the latest version. I have Window 7 32 bit.

Post June 17th, 2014, 9:05 am
bigbluefe Gamer Supreme
Gamer Supreme

Hi Incito,

The configuration utility was built for 64bit. I'll make a 32bit build later today.

Post June 17th, 2014, 9:18 am
bigbluefe Gamer Supreme
Gamer Supreme

Incito wrote:
Well, I have not configured it yet. After a quick launch it look really good so far. I will let my Site Admin have a look at this too. If he approves, then I would be happy to promote this. However, there is one issue where when I click config it say I don't have correct windows. I chose the latest version. I have Window 7 32 bit.

Okay, I updated the link on the website. The config utility is a 32bit exe now, and I made some more improvements.

Post June 17th, 2014, 12:13 pm
Incito User avatar
Founder
Founder

Cool, I will try it out when I get home.

Post June 18th, 2014, 7:15 am
Incito User avatar
Founder
Founder

I am happy to say that the program is clean and been tested. As you can imagine, we can not allow just any new member to post downloads for obvious reason.

So I tried it out. You have so really good ideas here, like being able to control George and the destruction of the sky scraper when you exit the frontend.

I will put the link back up, only if you understand that this will open your software up for criticism. Just reply that you understand this and that MA members are only offering the perspective as an end user to help make you software meet the common user needs.

Post June 18th, 2014, 10:15 pm
bigbluefe Gamer Supreme
Gamer Supreme

I understand. I welcome any feedback or suggestions for improvement.

Post June 19th, 2014, 1:01 pm
Incito User avatar
Founder
Founder

I have added the link back in. :wink:

Post June 19th, 2014, 7:06 pm
Nostalgia User avatar
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Welcome to MameAddicts bigbluefe, love your work!

The only thing i don't like, if i'm going to be picky, is the loudness of the windows smashing. Maybe it's just because i'm a bit hungover but apart from that, nice stuff mate :) Honestly love what you've done here, being a big Street Fighter fan it's hard not to.

Post June 19th, 2014, 10:06 pm
bigbluefe Gamer Supreme
Gamer Supreme

Nostalgia wrote:
Welcome to MameAddicts bigbluefe, love your work!

The only thing i don't like, if i'm going to be picky, is the loudness of the windows smashing. Maybe it's just because i'm a bit hungover but apart from that, nice stuff mate :) Honestly love what you've done here, being a big Street Fighter fan it's hard not to.

That's a good point, Nostalgia. I've been so focused on adding features that I haven't stopped to do a pass on normalizing the sound effects. I'll tweak them and let you know when a new version's up.

Next

Return to Arcade Cabinets and More!

Google+