Looking for three games

Can't think of the name of that arcade game you used to play? This is the place to ask!
Xime

Looking for three games

Post by Xime » July 24th, 2016, 5:40 am

Hi everyone. I'm looking for three games I used to play on arcade machines as a kid. This was probably in the late 80s, maybe early 90s, just to give you some time period reference.

The first game is one where you view the action form an overhead angle (similar to Xevious). "You" are a motorbike, and I think you can shoot bullets out of the front of your bike. I think the game was also scrolling vertically, so that you had to keep moving all the time. The only other thing I remember is that every now and then there were rivers in the landscape, and if you drove into the river, you lost a life. Instead, you had to cross the rivers on bridges that were made of logs/wood, and these bridges got gradually narrower the further you got into the game. I remember one spot where the bridge was just exactly one log wide. Even when you were familiar with the game and KNEW that you were coming up to that spot, you were still likely to end up in the water, because you had to be so precise to even hit the bridge. I'm not sure whether there was a wider bridge across the same river, though. If there was, then the wide one was to the left and the very narrow one to the right in the picture. (I don't remember why the narrow bridge was supposedly the better choice, though :D) As far as I remember, this was a shooting game more than a racing game, though, so it's not for example Dash Yarou.

The second game is one where I think you are a cop. It's also a shooting game, but it's scrolling horizontally. Sometimes you will see other cops standing around the screen, and if you go up to them and go "around" them, you will get things - I think like weapon upgrades and such. As far as I remember, this was a game where there was always a lot going on in the screen at the same time, so I never got very far in it - if you're not careful, you get shot :D I think the first cop you could get an upgrade from was standing along the upper edge of the screen, though. There was also another one standing more in the middle of the screen (maybe lower right, but not along the edge or anything), and I remember that I found it harder to get his upgrade because I couldn't figure out how to go around him properly as long as he had open space on all sides.

The third game is one where you have to jump on top of a passing train at the very beginning. I think the first couple of enemies you see are some prairie wolves or something, then the train comes and you need to get on top of it. Then you fight enemies on the roof of each railcar, until you get to the locomotive. I think there is a boss fight there, and then the game moves to the next level.... which I'm not sure what is, or whether it's still on top of a train or not. I know I have played this game later on mame, but I can't remember what it's called in order to find it again.

I hope you can recognize some of these games. Thank you :)

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Re: Looking for three games

Post by Incito » July 26th, 2016, 9:56 pm

The first 2 elude me.
The third sounds like Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja, but not sure cause "prairie wolves"?
I know Wild West Cow Boys has a train scene too.

What does the main character look like?
Is it fighting?

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » July 26th, 2016, 11:35 pm

I haven't got a clue about the first two games, either, but the third one should be Express Raider, 1986, Data East.

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Post by PantherUK » July 27th, 2016, 1:18 am

Could the motorbike game be Thundercade, also known as Twin Formation..?
Ooer... No pictures...

Xime

Post by Xime » July 31st, 2016, 11:40 am

Hierophant - thank you so much! Express Raider it was, indeed. It was interesting to play the game again, because it was different from what I remembered. For example I thought you could somehow miss the train in the beginning (by not getting on it in time), but this does not really seem to be possible. What made me certain that it's this game was getting to the point where this guy puts a bomb between two railcars, because I certainly remember losing at that point as a kid.

As for the motorbike game, I checked Thundercade, so thanks for the tip, PantherUK. I don't think it's that, though. I don't remember "my" game having such a grey/dark landscape. I'm also not sure about the military theme, but that might have been there. The landscape I remember is mostly brown, with some green and blue. And those log bridges, as I mentioned above. Thundercade does seem to be this typical "tons of enemies on the screen shooting at you"-game, though. Today I cannot understand how we got far in these games as kids, because nowadays I can't seem to keep away from getting shot after just a little while :tongue: