Name of Fighting game [Solved]

Can't think of the name of that arcade game you used to play? This is the place to ask!
fyfasen
Gamer Extreme
Gamer Extreme

Name of Fighting game [Solved]

Post by fyfasen » December 11th, 2013, 5:12 am

Hi. I remember this fighting game, but not its' name.. Ypu could choose from av variety of characters and fought opponents in rounds/fights. One character was a fatso with a killer drop-kick or drop-elbow. Another character was an asian dressed in red I think, who punched with his hands folded down, eg he hit with the top of his wrist. The last character I remember was a (kick?)boxer in jeans and t-shirt and he had a killer uppercut as a special blow.

Does this ring any bells?

ChameleonAlpha
Guru Extreme
Guru Extreme
Favorite Game: KOF 96

Re: Name of Fighting game

Post by ChameleonAlpha » December 11th, 2013, 11:58 am

Was it 3D? 2D? 2.5D (like Aggressors of Dark Kombat)?

midniteSamurai
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme
Favorite Game: Samurai Shodown 2

Post by midniteSamurai » December 11th, 2013, 2:19 pm

it could possibly be either Final fight or streets of rage
ӨПΣ ᄃΛППӨƬ ЯΣFᄂΣᄃƬ IП ƧƬЯΣΛMIПG ЩΛƬΣЯ. ӨПᄂΥ ƬΉӨƧΣ ЩΉӨ ΚПӨЩ IПƬΣЯПΛᄂ PΣΛᄃΣ ᄃΛП GIVΣ IƬ ƬӨ ӨƬΉΣЯƧ.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » December 12th, 2013, 2:24 am

My guess is Double Dragon on the Neo-Geo.

fyfasen
Gamer Extreme
Gamer Extreme

Post by fyfasen » December 12th, 2013, 3:36 am

Hi again.

The game was in 2d, seen from the side. It's probably not any of the games mentioned above. Definately not double dragon or final fight.

I'll try to come up with more clues, but this was in the very late 80's or very early 90's, so my memory is a bit clouded.

starlingmax
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 3

Post by starlingmax » December 12th, 2013, 8:49 pm

Hi! World Heroes Perfect has a red dressed asian character, a muay thai fighter, and a fat viking... so maybe this is what you're looking for.
Yeah yeah... sure, no problem.. ehhmmm well... bye...

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » December 13th, 2013, 2:46 am

Did you take a close look at Neo-Geo Double Dragon before dismissing it? It's not like most other Double Dragon games; it's a versus fighter, not a scrolling beat 'em up. There are some strong matches to your description, too. One fighter, Burnov, is so fat that he's almost completely round! Another fighter, Cheng-Fu, uses Drunken Master style, so his stance involves him holding imaginary wine cups in hands, which brings his wrists forward.

Cheng-Fu's Stance - http://www.arcade-history.com/images/game/677_1.png
fyfasen wrote:Another character was an asian dressed in red I think, who punched with his hands folded down, eg he hit with the top of his wrist.
That's a very specific piece of info in your description about hand position. I don't remember it in that many arcade fighting games. The only other one I can think of off the top of my head is Gen, from Street Fighter Alpha series, who uses a mix of Mantis and Crane styles.

Gen's Stances - http://www.noe-v.com/images/articles/gen_stances.jpg

I doubt that anyone would be in here searching for a game as famous Street Fighter. Neo-Geo Double Dragon is relatively obscure, though, which is why I thought it was worth mentioning before going for a deeper search.

fyfasen
Gamer Extreme
Gamer Extreme

Post by fyfasen » December 13th, 2013, 12:52 pm

Thanks for the answers. No, I'm positive that it's not Double dragon. I took a look at the video, and it's far too hectic and "modern". As I rememer the screen practically didn't scroll at all. And the game play was tournament like.

I'll dig deeper into my memory...

fyfasen
Gamer Extreme
Gamer Extreme

Post by fyfasen » December 13th, 2013, 12:58 pm

Another thing about the "fatso" - i think he also was wearing jeans and t-shirt. And perhaps I've mixed my memories up... Perhaps the boxer was in a different game. The asian - I guess chinese - (I think he had a long pony tail and a typical chinese straw hat) and the fatso were definately in the same game. And the fatso were'nt all that fat, just like a typical bar brawler with a few crates o'beer too many invested in the belly...

The search goes on...

fyfasen
Gamer Extreme
Gamer Extreme

Post by fyfasen » December 13th, 2013, 1:09 pm

Thanks for the World Heroes tip. Nope, that wasn't it. But now I remeber that game, though... As I recall the game I'm looking for didn't have quite as many characters to choose from as World heroes...