Name of Side-Scrolling Flying Game? [Solved]

Can't think of the name of that arcade game you used to play? This is the place to ask!
mattp
Mame Addict
Mame Addict

Name of Side-Scrolling Flying Game? [Solved]

Post by mattp » October 2nd, 2013, 8:36 pm

Hi there,

I am trying to remember the name of a beloved game I used to play in the arcade. Here's what I know about the game:

* I was playing it in Brisbane, Australia in 1990-1991 (though it could have been released anytime in the 80s)
* The game was a side-scrolling flying game
* The graphics were more cartoon-like (as opposed to realistic)
* It wasn't a particularly hard game

My memory of the game is limited and may have been distorted by the passage of time. Here's what I think I remember about the game:

* The player was a boy who pedaled a helicopter (though it could have been some other aircraft - my memory may have been distorted)
* The game may have scrolled left (very unusual – I’m probably wrong)
* The title had "Kid" in it and maybe "Sky" (I think I may be totally wrong here)

To be honest my memory told me the game was called Sky Kid but I have investigated that game and it definitely is not the one I'm looking for. It is also not Alex Kidd in Miracle World (which contains a pedal powered helicopter).

I've been looking for this game for the last few years and I’ve had no leads. More than once I’ve looked through screen shots on mamedb.com of every arcade game released between 1980 and 1992 (more than 6,000 images!) This has not enabled me to identify the mystery game.

I really hope someone here can assist. Looking forward to your responses.

Thanks,

Matt

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Re: Name of Side-Scrolling Flying Game?

Post by PantherUK » October 3rd, 2013, 6:44 am

Atomic Robo Kid..? That's a side scroller with cartoony graphics...
Ooer... No pictures...

mattp
Mame Addict
Mame Addict

Post by mattp » October 3rd, 2013, 6:04 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately it is not Atomic Robo Kid.

I wish I could add some more definite details to help people identify this game…

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » October 23rd, 2013, 5:56 pm

Hey mattp, when you say it's not Sky Kid, does that also include the update, Sky Kid Deluxe?

mattp
Mame Addict
Mame Addict

Post by mattp » October 27th, 2013, 6:19 pm

Thanks for the reply Hierophant.

Unfortunately it is not the update Sky Kid Deluxe.

I wonder if there were any other weird variations of Sky Kid...because I really feel like that was the name...however it definitely isn't that game. Maybe I was playing a bootleg of a game, which just happened to be in a “Sky Kid” cabinet? Weird stuff like that happened all the time in the 80s and 90s (maybe it still does?)

Sky Kid in my opinion is quite hard to master, whereas my mystery game was really easy and the graphics in my game were far more advanced...also, I’m pretty sure the vehicle in my game was a pedaled helicopter – not a plane.

One other detail: the little store I played in had arcade machines containing multiple games. We would turn a dial (like on an old television) to cycle through the different games. Not sure if this is at all relevant.

I fear my details are a little too vague and this one may not be solved...then again, the people here have probably solved harder!

starlingmax
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 3

Post by starlingmax » October 28th, 2013, 12:33 am

Bakutotsu Kijuutei ?

In this one you control a robot with helicopter blades on the head, at the same time this robot moves his legs... check it out.
Yeah yeah... sure, no problem.. ehhmmm well... bye...

mattp
Mame Addict
Mame Addict

Post by mattp » October 28th, 2013, 5:59 pm

Thanks for the reply Starlingmax.

Unfortunately my game is not Bakutotsu Kijuutei.

Atomic Robo Kid (mentioned earlier by PantherUK) and Bakutotsu Kijuutei (mentioned by yourself) both have a "space-like" setting...which my mystery game did not have. I wouldn't know how to describe the setting in my game but I'm fairly sure it was more basic i.e. I think the kid was pedaling his helicopter (or whatever it was) through the sky...I think I remember clouds as well. The game was cartoon-like.

Thanks for taking time to assist.

PantherUK

Post by PantherUK » October 28th, 2013, 6:31 pm

The only game I can possibly pin to your descriptions is Chuka Taisen, other than that you've stummped me mate...
Ooer... No pictures...

mattp
Mame Addict
Mame Addict

Post by mattp » October 28th, 2013, 6:47 pm

Thanks for your reply PantherUK.

Unfortunately my game is not Chuka Taisen, though we're definitely getting closer...Chuka Taisen is much closer in concept and look than previously mentioned games.

I hope something I've mentioned hasn't become a "red herring". I'll take this opportunity to mention that my memory may have subtly invented some incorrect details...but overall I hope my vague descriptions are mostly accurate.

PantherUK

Post by PantherUK » October 28th, 2013, 6:50 pm

Chuka Taisen was ported to quite a few game systems as Cloud Master, it could have been the NES version, if the machine you played the game on had a selection of games..?
Ooer... No pictures...