Favourite older gaming systems that aren't arcade

Play Games, post a picture, have fun.
Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Favourite older gaming systems that aren't arcade

Post by Nostalgia » June 26th, 2009, 5:40 am

STAFF EDIT: For the purposes of this discussion the author of this thread has defined "older" systems as any from the beginnings of video game history up to and including the fourth console generation. Anything from the fifth console generation (eg. Sega Saturn, Playstation, Nintendo 64) is pushing it. After that forget about it. Please respect these parameters. END EDIT

SNES would have to take first spot for me, nostalgia goggles on! LoL.

Also, I'm kinda ashamed to admit it, but i think those pixely FMV sega cd games are awesome too :hooray:

It's hard to not enjoy even the bad games of the past when you have the nostalgia goggles on :hehe:

Also I recently picked up Deus Ex and Unreal Gold for some PC fun :)

How about yourselves? I know Hiero has some quality old consoles lying around :V:

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Re: Favourite older gaming systems that aren't arcade

Post by Hierophant » June 26th, 2009, 12:20 pm

Hey Nos :hello:

You know, I'm a bit partial to my Neo Geo systems, but I don't think they qualify for this as they are basically arcade machines for the home. In that case I'm with you, SNES FTW! Many great gaming moments to reminisce over and still heaps of fun after all these years.
:link:

As for crusty old PC games I've probably logged more hours on StarCraft than all my other PC games combined. Still pretty nubbish at playing it though.

Never played the Sega CD, but I was way into the Mega Drive. Still get bouts of nostalgia for Streets of Rage II sometimes (amongst others) and have to dig it out of the game cupboard. So you've got a soft spot for Sewer Shark and Night Trap eh? LOL, onya dude, those FMV games were dire! How would AVGN put it?

'Full Motion Video, as opposed to video that isn't full motion. It's not even like playing a game, it's like watching a movie... a bad movie.'

It might be a good lark to borrow those goggles of yours and go back to the past to play some crappy games.

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » June 30th, 2009, 12:21 pm

Actually I still haven't played Sewer Shark OR Night Trap, although I've seen them running and they look pretty cool :smile: I will have to give them both a play sometime soon.

I've played a fair bit of Road Avenger, it's hard to not like that game!

:hooray:

That's cool that you got right into the Mega Drive. I have a soft spot for all the Streets of Rage games and, just like for all the other systems, I enjoy checking out different versions of Mortal Kombat, etc etc :smile:

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » July 1st, 2009, 2:11 am

So are you using Fusion for Sega CD games, Nos? What Sega CD games do you have other than Road Avenger? I've only used Fusion for Mega Drive so far coz I'm such a Mega Drive nostalgia freak.

Check out this rare gem:

Alien Soldier, Sega 1995

LOL, 16 bit graphics still look alright to me. Alien Soldier was developed by Treasure, you know, the guys that made Gunstar Heroes.

Impressive. :thumbsup:

eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Snow Bros.

Post by eliaskeme » July 2nd, 2009, 3:58 am

Nostalgia wrote:SNES would have to take first spot for me, nostalgia goggles on! LoL.

Also, I'm kinda ashamed to admit it, but i think those pixely FMV sega cd games are awesome too :hooray:

It's hard to not enjoy even the bad games of the past when you have the nostalgia goggles on :hehe:

Also I recently picked up Deus Ex and Unreal Gold for some PC fun :)

How about yourselves? I know Hiero has some quality old consoles lying around :V:

I was born in 1992 so the only consoles I was aware of when I grew up were the arcades that my father's bar had (and still do), the Game Boys and the PSs. My favourite was definitely the Game Boys cos I spent so much money buying new batteries so I could play Pokemon and Zelda: Oracle of Ages :link:. I also loved playing TEKKEN 3 and MSHVSSF (EX edition) in my PS1. The point with the PS1 is that it was INSIDE the arcades so whenever I wanted to play TEKKEN I would just put hte CD in. Nice trick right ??

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » July 2nd, 2009, 9:06 am

Aww yeah, that's another vote for Nintendo. :mario: :tongue:

Hey Nos, what's your cut off point for "older" systems here? Is it the end of the DC, PSX, N64, 32/64bit era?

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » July 2nd, 2009, 11:24 am

You think a mame addict user with the name 'Nostalgia' would have a cut off point?

:hooray:

To answer your questions i use fusion like you but also gens and I don't own any sega cd games at the moment because I formatted my computer but I've had a few awesome titles apart from road avenger such as mortal kombat and snatcher :hello: Also sonic cd but I hate sonic games :lipssealed:

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » July 3rd, 2009, 2:09 am

LOL! Good one, Nos. :hehe:

I know we already talked about it in vent, but what I meant was which previous generation of consoles can start to be considered as "older"? I don't think of the last gen consoles (PS2, Xbox, GC) as older systems yet, especially the PS2. Even though PS2 came out in 2000 there are still games scheduled for release into 2010, so it's still pretty much a currently viable system.

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » July 3rd, 2009, 9:50 am

Yeah you can go as far back as you want, and go all the way up to the playstation 1/nintendo 64 era but you're really pushing it at that point!

xenon1
Gamer
Gamer
Favorite Game: Mortal Kombat 1 2 3l

Post by xenon1 » July 3rd, 2009, 6:36 pm

I may be giving my age away but my favorite game that isn't arcade is the Intellivision console....matter of fact I still have mine and it works although my kids laugh at the clunky graphics and the sound effects that were just different pitches of static made to emulate real sound.....hours of my life gone but I loved it :yes:
If practice makes perfect and nobody's perfect then why practice?