Senior Citizen Gamer

Play Games, post a picture, have fun.
Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Senior Citizen Gamer

Post by Incito » March 30th, 2015, 8:27 pm

Have you ever thought about what gaming will be like when you are a Senior Citizen?
If so, then have you considered that today's games might be our "Oldies Station" tomorrow?
Share your thoughts. Post a video response, or a message. If you have twitter ... #SeniorCitizenGamer.

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Re: Senior Citizen Gamer

Post by Nostalgia » March 31st, 2015, 6:56 am

When i'm like double my age I imagine I would probably start playing less games that involve lightning reflexes like CS, in fact I'm already starting to stop playing that game and it's probably because I'm getting old. Don't get me wrong though, I still own plenty of people, it's just I hate everyone being so loud and abusive on their mics and stuff.

But yeah, I just started playing Hitman: Blood Money and can see myself playing that kinda stuff more than say CS and speedrunning Castlevania because it's a bit more relaxing to play I guess? Definitely a gamer 'til the day I die though, even if it means I'm just playing chess or something online :)

Great video mate, I don't see this topic discussed much. Usually when there's talk of older gamers it's comments from little kids like "when are you going to grow out of it" and other crap like that. I'm pretty sure gaming helps things like dementia and heck, just having fun if you're by yourself in a little house on a pension. I think kids normally who make negative comments just hate that they got butchered by an old boy like me :) But that's just normally something I see in CS, I don't really play much else online.
Last edited by Nostalgia on March 31st, 2015, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DieCobros
Gamer Extreme
Gamer Extreme
Favorite Game: The Punisher

Post by DieCobros » March 31st, 2015, 7:25 am

I see myself gaming for a long while, but as far as when I hit my 60s and up? Really hard to say. Maybe I'll play some RPGs or something slower paced to compensate for the reflexes.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » April 24th, 2015, 5:27 am

I thought it was particularly interesting when you spoke about how gaming culture be might affected by the possibility of technology advancing to the Minority Report level. In a way, I think that's already starting to happen. Touch screen gaming, for example, could be seen as an early step in that direction. As an old school gamer, I can't stand that style of gameplay. Whenever I'm checking out what the younger ones are playing on their phones and they try to get me to have a go, I refuse on the grounds that I don't like playing games which require you to physically obstruct the view of the screen by having to put your fingers all over it. Where's the sense in that? Maybe I really am becoming an old codger, but to me, that's just a silly way to play video games. The screen and the controls should not be one and the same thing.

Haha, darn kids with your newfangled doodads! :wizard:

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Post by PantherUK » April 24th, 2015, 10:35 am

I don't mind touch screen games as long as the controls don't obstruct the screen, some of the emulators on android have the controls in a separate part of the screen...
Ooer... No pictures...

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » April 24th, 2015, 8:39 pm

I've never seen MAME on a phone before. The games that the youngsters showed me were all of the "tap and rub your fingers on the screen" type. Can you reliably execute, say... a dragon punch with touch screen controls? Even though I have no experience in that department, I doubt that wiggling your fingers on a flat surface could ever beat the tactile response of a real game controller.

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Post by PantherUK » April 25th, 2015, 10:28 am

To be completely honest mate I've got a clip on controller I use anyway... After a bit of practice you can pull of all the moves on screen, but I'd rather use the controller any day...
Ooer... No pictures...

Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter
Favorite Game: QBert Ms Pacman

Post by Thulsa » April 26th, 2015, 7:10 pm

I imagine I will be playing games until I die. I turn 40 this year and I can still own in a FPS with enough practice. I have to use tactics and tricks to deal with the sheer speed of youth. I have no doubt Pacman and Frogger will be my oldies station. To be honest they already are. While I enjoy new stuff I am slowing pulling away from modern gaming. It is more about graphics and looking good then it is about being a good game. Yup I already sound like an old man.
My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.
~Thulsa Doom~

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » April 26th, 2015, 10:49 pm

How's this for a test? While good graphics are nice to have when they're supported by solid gameplay, as Thulsa said, they're irrelevant if the game sucks. Who among you can still enjoy a good old game that has the most minimal graphics? I'm talking about games like Space Invaders, Asteroids, and Lunar Lander. Barring the use of coloured cellophane on some Space Invaders machines, these games are all in black and white but have gameplay that ranks them alongside the classics of all time.

starlingmax
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 3

Post by starlingmax » April 27th, 2015, 12:39 am

I will die with a joystick in my hand, I don't intend to stop playing video games even when I'm 90 years old or whatever... We are lucky, our hobby will let us keep playing indefinitely, really, we should be thankful. Sometimes I wonder what will happen with people who likes playing sports only when they are older... they will be clinically depressed when the time comes.
About the new trends... I hate the most, like the touch screen thing, but not just because the touch screen, but also because these kinds of devices are ment to play mostly casual games, and I really hate those. On the other hand, I must say I'm excited about oculus rift and project morpheus!
Times change, but we can adapt, I remember how much I hated the PS3/Xbox360 generation for having survival horrors without puzzles, not even silent hill games came with puzzles anymore... But I started to like other survivals like Dead Space, and I really love that series, so I think that we will always find something attractive about new games, even when we are really old.
About graphics, I can play any game no matter its graphics are as long as the gameplay mechanics are fun. But since I'm a little younger than you guys, my confort zone starts with the NES, I can also play Atari games and such, but I feel perfectly comfortable with NES games... Also, I like games with an ending, without one I feel something's missing, that's also why I rather play a NES game.

Great idea for a thread by the way. :goodpost:
Yeah yeah... sure, no problem.. ehhmmm well... bye...