Games outside your comfort zone

Play Games, post a picture, have fun.
Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Games outside your comfort zone

Post by Nostalgia » June 16th, 2014, 9:42 am

So my graphics card blew up yesterday and is out of warranty so I had to replace it with a really old one from my last PC. This has kinda forced me into using emulators for the SNES etc more and finally I have started playing JRGs which is something I've been meaning to do for ages.

Some people recommended Final Fantasy 3 on SNES (which I think is considered to be FF6) and I've put about 2 hours into it now and i'm loving it.

Anyone else tried something new recently or have any stories?

starlingmax
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 3

Re: Games outside your comfort zone

Post by starlingmax » June 16th, 2014, 8:15 pm

I'm sorry to know about your card man, but is really cool that you're looking at the bright side of the situation.
I recently played "Metal Max Returns" for the SNES, it's a fan translation since this title wasn't commercialized outside Japan. It's an excelent RPG with a lot of free roaming and a lot of thinking to do in order to advance.
I would highly recommend you to play "Crono Trigger". This game is simply the best RPG for the SNES, and that's huge if you take into account the fact that there's dozens of RPGs for that console!
I would also like to mention that there are enhanced versions of both Crono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI for the PS1, whatever you play, I sugest you to play these versions. You can find Crono Trigger for PS1 in "Final Fantasy Chronicles" wich is a bundle of 2 games in 1, the 2 games being Crono Trigger and Final Fantasy IV. And you can find Final Fantasy VI in "Final Fantasy Anthology" wich is another 2 in 1 game, the games being Final Fantasy V and VI.
Yeah yeah... sure, no problem.. ehhmmm well... bye...

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » June 16th, 2014, 10:36 pm

starlingmax wrote:I'm sorry to know about your card man, but is really cool that you're looking at the bright side of the situation.
Well said, I feel the same. On the one hand, it really sucks that you won't be playing Dark Souls, etc, for however long it takes before you get a new graphics card, Nos. On the other hand, what better excuse to start getting into some good JRPG action like we talked about on Steam the other day? Have fun with it, mate. Another highly recommended SNES RPG you might enjoy is Secret of Mana.

One game I sometimes wonder about that felt outside my comfort zone, even though it shouldn't have, was Populous. I mean, I love all sorts of strategy games, but I didn't know what the hell was going in that one.

nightshade
Gamer Extreme
Gamer Extreme

Post by nightshade » June 28th, 2014, 11:20 pm

yeah it took me forever to figure out poplous tho never did figure out powermonger tho

I cant play sports games unless there's a manager mode or its something like the one baseball game on the c64 where it was just multiple choice when you pitched or hit and the base running and fielding was computer controlled it was made by accolade I wanna call it hardball 2 or 3

ParkProductions

Post by ParkProductions » December 31st, 2015, 3:45 pm

God games like Power Monger and Populous and even Command and Conquer all looked great with all the land building and people running around to CC's tanks and fighting. But I could never figure out how to play them.

The Immortal is another game that was interesting but never got into. Prefer the more arcadey games than the strategy ones.