Dark Souls II

Play Games, post a picture, have fun.
starlingmax
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 3

Re: Dark Souls II

Post by starlingmax » June 9th, 2014, 12:24 pm

Sorry for the delay in the reply guys, I've been extremely busy/stressed in my studies...
Hierophant wrote:Hey, Max, it's really cool that you're also playing this wonderful game. :hello:
Nostalgia wrote:Good to hear you're playing Max!
Thank you guys, I started playing it because I saw how much you loved this game... you were always uploading videos and such, I honestly failed at first to notice how good this game was, I watched some videos (posted by you) and I didn't grasp the game spirit at first, but once I started playing it I couldn't stop!
One of the greates things this game has (in my opinion of course) is the fact that there's no tutorial, you have to discover things by yourself... while dying! (by the way I died like 500 times).
Of course, after the 3 witches you have a tutorial area with signs that shows you the controls, but that's it! Also I like the total freedom you have to travel the world, and the lack of directions, for example, in "dead space" you can press certain button to know where you have to go, or in other games you just have to acces the map to know where to go. On the other hand, in this game you're completely alone in that area! I must have spent like 15 hours wandering the map trying to figure out what to do...
Another thing great about this game is what is called "emergent gameplay", you can solve a number of situation using your creativity, instead of doing some pre-fixed mechanic... For example, in one part I was REALLY stuck, I spent hours trying to figure out what to do, then I realized that I might check out the bottom of the well in "Majula" so I bought the "Cat Ring" so I could throw myself into the well and survive... but I died! so I thought "if I had more health I could survive the first falling" so I started leveling my character in order to rise the health points... and then after a few levels I could throw myself into the well and discover new areas like the sewer.
Another great thing about this game is its atmosphere, so silent and depressing, but at the same time fascinating!

So... I extended myself too much, but I wanted to share my thoughts with you guys.

Regarding your stats, I'm surprised you are using a sword Hiero (since you are building your character to be a spell caster) I honestly never tryied to use a sword, but it's always an option if I rise my strenght... but I think I will rather rise Faith and Attunement to be very efficient at casting magic!

Nos, It's cool you have a pyro glove +10, I was upgrading two gloves at the same time so I have one glove meant to be used as a hollow (level 6) and another one meant to be used as a human (level 5), I know that being a hollow takes a huge toll on your HP... but the damage you can inflict with that glove is incredible!
Yeah yeah... sure, no problem.. ehhmmm well... bye...

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » June 10th, 2014, 1:11 am

:goodpost:

Ah, Max, you really captured the spirit of the game there. The fact that there is minimal hand-holding in the Dark Souls games is one of the things that makes them great. Like you say, it encourages creativity in your approach to playing and intensifies your sense of exploration and discovery. The example you gave of the pit in Majula, for instance.

Despite being curious, I've never tried jumping down there because there are always so many bloodstains around the edge from other player's failed attempts. Being the patient type, I figured that the game would provide a logical path to that area later on. I'm not 100% sure yet, but I have a strong feeling that I may have stumbled upon another solution. In my last play session I found a merchant at an out of the way location in Earthen Peak. During the course of the dialogue there came a cut-scene where he put a ladder down to another ledge which accessed some items. I'd wager that the next time I play he will have moved shop to Manjula - like most NPCs do - and then... Anyway, I'll know for sure soon enough.
starlingmax wrote:Regarding your stats, I'm surprised you are using a sword Hiero (since you are building your character to be a spell caster) I honestly never tryied to use a sword, but it's always an option if I rise my strenght... but I think I will rather rise Faith and Attunement to be very efficient at casting magic!
The fire longsword appears nice and early in the game. The stats needed to wield it aren't that high - 10 STR, 9 DEX. It also seems to be a very good choice of weapon for a spell-caster because the fire component reduces the damage-scaling for STR and DEX, while increasing it for INT and FTH. It has a cool move set and is very efficient for dispatching grunts, which saves spells uses for more dangerous foes. I started upgrading the fire longsword as soon as I could. It serves me well and I believe it will do so for a long time to come.

I dunno if this will surprise you, too, but I also made sure I got the stats for the shortbow - 7 STR, 12 DEX. The environment offers many sneaky sniping opportunities and that's a part of the Dark Souls games I've always enjoyed - attacking evil enemies who can't hit back!

starlingmax
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by starlingmax » June 12th, 2014, 11:42 pm

Thanks Hiero!
Hahaha! atacking enemies who can't hit back is one of my favourite things also!! that's why I always pick a wizard in these kind of games, for example "Dragon Age" or "Skyrim". I also like using bows of course, but I didn't thought it would make any difference!!! I thought that the bow was a resource for players who use swords, I mean, why would I use a bow if I can cast a long distance spell? So I'm really surprised here, what's the difference? maybe you can lock on targets at a farther distance than when you use a staff?
What about your gear? I used a robe for a great part of the game but then I decided to rise my vitality so I could use "Vengarl's" gear wich is pretty cool and it doesn't weight too much!

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » June 13th, 2014, 4:21 am

Spell-caster or not, a bow is always gonna be super useful in the Dark Souls games. The reason being, with a bow you can go into a first person view that is a bit zoomed in and has a cross-hair. From there, you can manually aim at targets that are way outside your normal lock-on range, allowing for proper sniper action. For example, you know the approach to Undead Purgatory in Huntsman's Copse? Just before the rope bridge there are four pretty tough guards waiting. If you walk too close they can all aggro at once and really give you hell. With a bow you can lure them out one at a time. Stand back and shoot one from long range and deal with him singly. Rinse and repeat for a much more practical path through that section.

I'm mainly using the Hexer's set now. Before that I was just wearing a mishmash of whatever suited me best at the time from various other sets. The Hexer's set is very light - total weight 6.5 - so my guy has good evasion.

starlingmax
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by starlingmax » June 14th, 2014, 12:13 am

I didn't know about that man, Its funny how there's some things you wouldn't normally know unless you talk with someone about the game.
I think I've never been in that place you mention "Huntsman's Copse"... because when I finally knew what I had to do (I was really stucked in a place I won't mention because I'm afraid I could spoil you) I went into a frenzy and started speedrunning the game, so there's some areas I didn't went to, that's one of the main reasons I'm enjoying my second gameplay, I will now take my time to enjoy those places!
In fact, I think I'm going to turn my xbox on right now :D

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » June 16th, 2014, 6:18 am

Hmmm... it would be strange if Huntsman's Copse was optional because it led me to a lotta other areas. Apart from the path to Undead Purgatory earlier in the area, the boss fight in the Copse opened up Harvest Valley, which goes to Earthen Peak, which goes to Iron Keep, and that's where I am now.

Thanks for avoiding spoilers as I'm still on my first play through.

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » June 16th, 2014, 9:30 am

I'm biting my tongue a bit Pete but I know you don't want me to spoil stuff which is awesome :)

starlingmax
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by starlingmax » June 16th, 2014, 7:44 pm

You're right Hiero, I made a mistake identifying "huntsman's corpse"... and since you're in that area I now know I wont spoil anything if I tell you where I was stucked... I just couldn't find a way to rotate the mechanism that gives you access to "Huntsman's corpse"... Man, I was so frustrated! But eventually Licia (the miracle merchant) went to that place and used her miracle powers (in exchange for 2,000 souls) to rotate the place and give me acces to the new area.
And I now know the bridge you were talking about, is the bridge that gives you access to the chariot riding boss. What I did in that place was pass through the enemies and the bridge and jump to a plataform wich the enemies couldn't reach, from there I killed them with magic (some of them simply fell).

By the way, it would be cool if you guys could share your thoughts on bosses, wich one was the worst you faced this far?

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » June 16th, 2014, 10:10 pm

Ah yeah, I was a bit tricked by that rotating room setup, too. The roundabout way I realised it was by thinking that Shaded Woods was where I supposed to be up to after clearing Forest of Fallen Giants and Lost Bastille, but then finding that the lion warriors there were way too tough for my spells. I went back to exploring and ended up in Heide's Tower Of Flame instead. The enemies there weren't so tough, so it felt like I was more on the right track and I eventually got the Huntsman's Copse access from Licia.

As for bosses, I usually try my best to beat them on my own if I can. If not, then I'll summon help. As a sorcerer, though, some melee bosses can be a real handful. I almost beat the Pursuer first go on the big rooftop where there is a plenty of room to evade, but then had much difficulty with him when he moved to that smaller area with the ballistae. He pursued me to hell! I must've tried at least ten times to beat him there by myself. After I caved in and summoned help for the easy win, I had a blast hanging around there and helping other people with the Pursuer. It can be a hilarious fight sometimes because of ballista shenanigans, like when a summoned player kills the host with ballista shots. Even though it wrecks the fight, it always made me laugh when that happened. One time, when I was happily gesturing after the battle, another player killed me with the ballista. Haha! I had to laugh. After that, I was much more careful about where I carried out my post-match celebrations.

It's great that such a grim game can be so funny sometimes, too.

:wizard: :rofl:

starlingmax
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by starlingmax » June 25th, 2014, 1:19 pm

Whow man, I thought I was the only one having troubles with "the pursuer" I spent like 3 hours trying to beat him, I yelled at the screen so many times that my girlfriend started to believe I was going nuts! One hit was all he needed to kill me, so I basically had to kill him dodging every attack!
Also... these guys gave me hell...

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: