Dark Souls II

Play Games, post a picture, have fun.
Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Re: Dark Souls II

Post by Nostalgia » March 21st, 2014, 7:38 am

Finished the game tonight, it's excellent :)

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » March 23rd, 2014, 6:25 pm

If it's anything like the first Dark Souls, then I'm sure there will be years of fun to be had once we have our PC versions.

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » April 26th, 2014, 9:43 pm

Me and Mat have been playing the PC version Pete, it's so much better than the xbox version I was playing.

We haven't played online together yet but there is no shortages of summon signs and they actually work now! Mat added you to Steam by the way mate.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » April 28th, 2014, 11:37 pm

I'm all set now. A new adventure begins! :woot:

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » April 29th, 2014, 6:58 pm

Hey, Nos, do some of the controls in Dark Souls II seem a bit stodgy to you? Specifically, the controls for guard break and leap attack (tap LS forward and RB/RT). Compared to DkSI, I find those two moves almost impossible pull off. I only managed to do one leap attack in my first play session and couldn't do a guard break at all. Leap attack is not that big of a deal, but guard break is important for dealing with the spear and shield hollows. Without a reliable guard break, those guys keep wearing me down badly.

Apart from that, it's been much fun. Many mysteries and surprises already and such awe-inspiring graphics. The landscape is remarkable. Sometimes I just have to stop and stare at some texture of stone or wood or whatever and think, "Ooh... How pretty!"

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » April 29th, 2014, 7:45 pm

I haven't tried those moves much mate but I'll check it out today. Pretty sure everything is fine here though, made sure you're pressing the right buttons? Also some attacks might depend on the weapon you're using and if you are two-handing or not. And yeah the scenery is great, especially the water in Majula :)

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » May 4th, 2014, 8:43 pm

Guard break serves the same function as the kick move in DkSI. I was practicing guard break for a while with no enemies around to see if I could figure out the timing. I reckon I did it once in about every ten or twenty attempts; not a very useful ratio for actual combat. Whenever I did manage to do one it kinda felt like I was leaning my character's body into the move, if you know what I mean. The timing seems to be extremely strict, though, so I guess they designed it for experts. Either that, or guard break control is something which needs to be patched to make it more accessible for all players.

For now, I've figured out another way to deal with shield-using enemies. Since my guy is a sorcerer, I avoid most close-quarters combat. So as not waste precious spells on enemy shields, I get just close enough to aggro them then time a roll evade to create the distance needed to safely cast magic while their guard is still down.

starlingmax
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 3

Post by starlingmax » May 19th, 2014, 5:25 pm

Hey guys, I've been playing this game the last couple of days, I love it! I suck at it by the way! I beated it yesterday and started a second journey, I was wondering, what is your character's build?
My character is basically a spellcaster... I have:

85 points on Intelligence
40 points on Vigor
13 points on Faith
15 points on Vitality
40 points on Attunement

I don't even use a shield, I have a staff on my right hand and a pyromancer's flame on my left hand.
Yeah yeah... sure, no problem.. ehhmmm well... bye...

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » May 19th, 2014, 8:21 pm

Good to hear you're playing Max!

My build has been respecced a bunch of times but at the moment has 55 Faith with a bunch of lightning imbued equipment (to get the maximum damage with all that Faith). I'm using a lightning dragon chime +5, lightning defender sword +5 and pyro glove +10. Also i'm in NG++ now so I have Wrath of the Gods which is crazy OP against invaders :) Not one person I have hit with it has survived for me to need to cast it again.

I'm nearing the end of NG++ but I doubt I will go into the next NG with this build as it's mainly just for helping other people and I have everything I need already.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » May 20th, 2014, 10:07 pm

Hey, Max, it's really cool that you're also playing this wonderful game. :hello:

My first character is still growing, so there's not much point listing stats. He's mainly using magic, though, so most of my souls are obviously going into intelligence, attunement, and faith. I am quite fond of the fire longsword I found. It's nice for dealing with grunts and helps save spells for more important things.