Zen of Arcade 1CC

Play Games, post a picture, have fun.
BenCQ
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Re: Zen of Arcade 1CC

Post by BenCQ » January 26th, 2017, 6:17 am

Seraph wrote:Quick questions: What is the best video recording program for gaming? Is it the same for MAME as other consoles? What are the optimal configuration settings to get great quality videos?
I use FRAPS for all my recording which converts straight to AVI and a Blue Yeti USB Microphone to do commentary as Fraps has the ability to record sound from an external input. I record MAME/NES/SNES/SMS/MD with the same method. I then use Wondershare Filmora to make and edit the videos, which converts the files into MKV format ready for Youtube.

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: X-Men

Post by Seraph » January 26th, 2017, 1:04 pm

Ben, thanks for the great response! I will look into setting up that method going forward. Anyone have another means that they think works better? I used Fraps when playing World of Warcraft back in the day, but didn't even think to try that. How sad. Filmora sounds very interesting.

Anyone else?
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt... and I'm all out of bubblegum. - George Nada (They Live)

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » January 28th, 2017, 2:29 am

Seraph, the old MAME internal AVI recording method is still as good as it ever was and gives top quality video and it's free. It's also handy in certain situations. Say I'm going for a specific gameplay, like a 1CC: I can keep recording input files for as long as it takes without worrying about massive uncompressed AVI files filling up my disk space. There are some very minor drawbacks, though. If a frame is dropped during MAME internal AVI recording it gets replaced by a default frame of some screen-static-looking-stuff. Occasionally, a frame may also get bumped a bit to one side for some reason. That's all easily fixed in editing, since cutting a single frame out of 60fps will have no detectable effect. Those botched frames can be hard to spot, that's all. If you blink you miss them.

Fraps is good, so long as you have a modern system. I couldn't use it on my old P4; too much overheads in Fraps would lag the recording. My way around that was ZD Soft, which has the most minimal overheads of any recorder I've used. That was handy for games which didn't respond well to the MAME internal method. Fraps is normally not a problem for the i7 I have now, though, and makes MAME gameplay videos that are virtually identical to the real thing, as does ZD Soft. The other advantage of ZD Soft is that, unlike Fraps, it can record the desktop. If not for that my old MAME video tutorials wouldn't exist.

Another option worth considering is OBS. It's a good recorder and unlike Fraps, ZD Soft, etc., it's free and also useful for streaming on Twitch.

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: X-Men

Post by Seraph » January 28th, 2017, 9:27 am

Thanks Hiero! I'm gonna get all your software recommendations and try some out. I'll likely keep the others that are good for low tech mouters for some of my friends.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt... and I'm all out of bubblegum. - George Nada (They Live)

BenCQ
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by BenCQ » February 7th, 2017, 4:54 am

A friend of mine who does documentaries recently came to my house to film one about the channel and the arcades in general.

At about 8 minutes in he asks about recording methods and set up so if you're still wondering Seraph, have a quick watch of that and it goes into a bit of detail.

BenCQ
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by BenCQ » February 7th, 2017, 4:55 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJNQTAVByVs

Ok that video doesn't seem to work for some reason. Here's a non embedded link to it.

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Post by PantherUK » February 7th, 2017, 4:54 pm

It works now... When you want to post a YouTube video, in between the square bracketed youtubes you just need to put the letters and numbers that come after the = sign, in this case JJNQTAVByVs...
Ooer... No pictures...

BenCQ
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by BenCQ » February 8th, 2017, 4:36 am

PantherUK wrote:It works now... When you want to post a YouTube video, in between the square bracketed youtubes you just need to put the letters and numbers that come after the = sign, in this case JJNQTAVByVs...
Thanks very much for that, much obliged. I did wonder why it didn't work!

BenCQ
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Street Fighter 2 Rainbow - Arcade - One Credit Clear

Post by BenCQ » February 8th, 2017, 7:19 am

Street Fighter 2 Rainbow - Arcade - One Credit Clear

Hey again guys.

As promised earlier in this thread, here's this week's video which is a run through of Street Fighter 2 Rainbow Edition Set 3.

This was all kinds of fun to put together. Thanks again for all the support and feedback by the way, it's much appreciated. Hope you enjoy the vid!

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » February 16th, 2017, 3:09 am

That was interesting about the quick cease and desist your operator got for running a Champion Edition hack. The M4 hack I mentioned earlier lasted in one my local arcades for quite a while. I played it a lot once I realised what it was. Sure was great for some cheap thrills.