Play Games, post a picture, have fun.
Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Re: Zen of Arcade 1CC

Post by Hierophant » April 10th, 2017, 3:55 am

Mad respect to you, BenCQ! :woot:

Doing a no death run of R-Type is an absolutely phenomenal achievement. The obvious tension you were feeling made your amazing gameplay that much more enjoyable to watch.

"Your name will remain in the universe forever."

BenCQ
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by BenCQ » April 10th, 2017, 8:44 am

Thanks to everyone for all the nice feedback and comments.

I started looking at R-Type originally nearly 6 months ago but I gave up not long into the playthrough as I didn't think it was really feasible.
I think I spent a few weeks of dying on Level 4 like 99% of the time before I realised that I'd have to invest seriously into this to make it happen. I wasn't going to show up one day and beat R-Type.

I started obsessively watching Longplays at work and making notes on boss strategies before I convinced myself to have another crack at it. A friend of mine had recommended it and I see him at weekends, we both work in the same industry, and he'd keep asking me how R-Type was getting on. When I fully decided to try recording properly I'd managed to beat the game in sections.

As most people do who are serious about One Credit Videos of harder titles, I used save states in my preparation because I didn't have the time to do it any other way. Any other game would have been feasible but R-Type isn't really do-able if you die at any point anyway. I must have beaten the boss of level 6 maybe 200 times. I'd find myself walking to work muttering the sequence to myself, I bet that looked odd in retrospect.

When it actually came to starting recording, progress through the game was slow but I found myself clawing through further and further; I'd die on Level 5 a bit until I figured you could hide at the top quite randomly. I knew when I worked that out that there was only really Level 6 and the first half of Level 7 I needed to master. I'd hit such walls with it progression wise though, it was really frustrating. My heart rate would go through the roof when I got to Level 6 but I just couldn't execute somehow.

Then one random Tuesday evening I got to Level 7 and I knew it was close. I just knew I had to stick at it. I died about halfway through the level and I knew that, if I could clear that one part, I'd be fine. The very next take I got to Level 7 and didn't die and I knew that I could make it because 6 and the first half of 7 are probably the hardest bits of any clear.

I got through 8 fairly easily and knew that all I needed to do was execute and I'd be fine.
I can't tell you how it felt when that last boss died. I got a massive rush of air in my lungs and I went a bit dizzy. All I wanted to do was to log off and see if it had recorded properly. I mumbled a few words then checked and everything was ok.

I rewatched it the next day and realised I needed a little extra ending part so I recorded something else over the demo just to fill the gaps.

It's hard to say what that clear means looking back at it now. I played R-Type on Saturday and couldn't get past Level 4. I stopped counting how many goes it had taken me to get the right clear but I was 67 deaths in before I'd even got to Level 6 on one recording.

I guess the whole point of this post is to remember that, if we truly put our minds to it, nothing is really impossible when it comes to beating old arcade games. Nothing at all.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » April 15th, 2017, 2:25 am

Thanks for your insight, BenCQ. I know exactly where you're coming from, mate. It's a major commitment to tackle a game like R-Type in this fashion, especially when doing it no death style is the only sensible option, since dying and losing the power-ups basically makes it pointless to carry on.

I've been working on a shmup lately. It may turn out that I never beat it, but the attempt itself is still a rewarding enterprise; seeing those slight overall improvements after hundreds of silly deaths keeps you going somehow.

BenCQ
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by BenCQ » April 17th, 2017, 7:59 am

Hierophant wrote:Thanks for your insight, BenCQ. I know exactly where you're coming from, mate. It's a major commitment to tackle a game like R-Type in this fashion, especially when doing it no death style is the only sensible option, since dying and losing the power-ups basically makes it pointless to carry on.

I've been working on a shmup lately. It may turn out that I never beat it, but the attempt itself is still a rewarding enterprise; seeing those slight overall improvements after hundreds of silly deaths keeps you going somehow.
You're right in terms of that progression being rewarding. I honestly think it's quite addictive if I'm being honest, maybe that's what keeps me going.
I have to record them all live because the energy when I finally get "the take" really can't be replicated. It's a massively time consuming process but it's one that gets better each and every time I manage to get it done.

I don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: X-Men

Post by Seraph » April 17th, 2017, 2:12 pm

I envy you guys to have the dedication, skill, and time to make those 1CCs happen. It would be cool to make a list like the recommended games of all the 1CCs, so you could go right to whichever one you want to watch. I need to look through my Top Arcade games list to see what 1CCs haven't been done that I'd be willing to do. I think unless I had more free time I'd definitely sit out on those flying shooters. Some are just to slow for me to have the patience for 45 mins of precision moving eithout fails. Also, I've seen other 1CCs done on YouTube, but I've seen comnents that some have been caught using saves midgame. That's all kinds of lame!
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt... and I'm all out of bubblegum. - George Nada (They Live)

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » April 19th, 2017, 3:57 am

I could work out a linked list to put in the OP. I would need to figure out what format to use; order of appearance or alphabetical or whatever.

BenCQ
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Wrestlefest - Royal Rumble/Double LOD - No Continue Clear

Post by BenCQ » April 19th, 2017, 6:14 am

Wrestlefest - Arcade - Royal Rumble/Double LOD - No Continue Clear

Try this for size my friends!

Wrestlefest Achievement Run.

One Credit Royal Rumble Clear followed by a One Credit Double Legion of Doom Clear!

BenCQ
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Tekken - Arcade - One Credit Clear

Post by BenCQ » April 26th, 2017, 6:12 am

Tekken - Arcade - One Credit Clear

One Credit Clear on Namco's Tekken.
I do love this series and plan to do a few more in the upcoming weeks.

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: X-Men

Post by Seraph » April 26th, 2017, 8:39 am

Love me some Tekken! Very cool bro.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt... and I'm all out of bubblegum. - George Nada (They Live)

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » April 28th, 2017, 5:31 am

In response to your Wrestlefest 1CC, BenCQ, I just wanna say, "LOAD THE SPACESHIP WITH THE ROCKET FUEL!!!" :liil: