Zen of Arcade 1CC

Play Games, post a picture, have fun.
Post September 3rd, 2012, 12:00 pm
Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Zen of Arcade 1CC

Skill or die!

When you put real money into a real arcade machine, you either have the skill to get your money's worth, or, you don't, and you die a quick, expensive death. Young gamers who are discovering arcade games for the first time through MAME may have never been in the presence of an original arcade machine before and probably have no concept of what it's like to pump hard-earned money into one. It's a completely different experience to grabbing a console game, paying for it once, and keeping it forever. The hardcore arcade gaming culture that gave rise to the one credit clear (1CC) philosophy is something they should learn about. It dismays me to see young newcomers totally abusing MAME's functions by casually credit-feeding their way through great games... such a senseless waste.

Here's a simple example from my past to further illustrate the concept of what it means to strive for an arcade 1CC.

When there was still a local arcade in my town I would usually play a few games of Raiden each visit because Raiden is such an awesome shoot 'em up. So, picture this...

I put some credits in and start playing. After a decent amount of time, I lose my last life, say for instance, somewhere in Stage 3. At this point I have two options: 1) use a continue and get further along in the game, or 2) run the continue timer down and start over. Which option do you think I'm going to take? If you answered option 1 then you couldn't be more wrong. Here's why.

By now I'm in a far more difficult part of the game than when I started so if I continue I'm not likely to last very long. I don't want to rip myself off like that so the only sensible choice is to start a new game. That way, not only do I get maximum entertainment value for my dollar, I get repeated practice in the areas of the game I'm already familiar with, steadily improving my skills and my chances of getting deeper into the game with each credit.

You can start to see how arcade 1CC culture was born out of necessity more than anything else; the need get the most out of every precious coin. Gaining prowess is a necessary by-product of that endeavour; there's nothing elitist or holier than thou about it. Even if you never achieve an arcade 1CC in your life, you'll still accomplish something worthwhile in the attempt; increased proficiency and a greater appreciation for the finer points of the game you're up against. It can be fun and rewarding to concentrate on trying to master a demanding game.

If you've never tried to do an arcade 1CC before, why not give it a go? It's an admirable goal for any gamer to have. Challenge yourself! Pick a really cool arcade game which has the continue feature and don't ever use that option; ignore it; pretend it's not even there. Do a few single credit runs every day for several weeks. The results may surprise you. A game that at first glance seems virtually impossible to beat with a big pile of credits, let alone one, may gradually start to reveal a glimmer of hope that you just might 1CC it someday.

Good luck and have fun!
Hiero :hello:

Heading Format

Here is the format for headings of 1CC video posts if you want to do it yourself:

[size=200][color=#004080][b][/b][/color][/size]

The post subject should also be for the video, instead of the default "Re: Zen of Arcade 1CC".

Post September 3rd, 2012, 12:02 pm
Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Metal Slug - 1CC No Death

My Metal Slug one credit clear with no lives lost. :woot:

Doing a Metal Slug 1CC has been a labour of love for me over the last few weeks ever since I picked the game for a Thulsa Doom Challenge.

Edit 1: Damn YouTube corrupted some frames in my Metal Slug 1CC at around 18:30. I'll not have my moment of triumph ruined! Will try re-upping it again soon.

:pissed:

Edit 2: Turned out it wasn't YouTube after all, it was actually a silly Adobe Flash Player problem all along. When I re-upped the vid the corrupted section was still there so I did some investigation on the issue. This fixed it for me - right click on a vid>settings>disable hardware acceleration.

:hooray:

Post September 3rd, 2012, 8:50 pm
Thulsa Arbiter
Arbiter

:love: this thread!

I agree!! People today do not know what it was like to have a handful of quarters and told to go play some games. For me the 4-8 quarters I got as a kid was never enough. I had to get good quick to make that money last. No playing until the end for as long as you wanted, no saves, and many times no continues. There were games I avoided because I would simply lose my money. Then there were games that I couldn't stay away from even though they devoured my precious coins. I have never 1cc'd a game. I have never even come close. That doesn't mean I have not been trying for years. It doesn't mean I won't keep trying. There is something different about beating a game designed to take your money. Designed to be difficult. Beating a modern day game doesn't compare to beating one of the old arcade machines. There is no real sense of accomplishment. You can just keep playing until you beat it. Back in the day you either got good or went home broke. Most days you did both.

Here are a few I am always striving to get better at with 1 coin.

Q*Bert
Ghost n Goblins
Ms. Pacman
Golden Axe
Altered Beast
Gauntlet 2
In the Hunt
Smash TV
Carrier Airwing
My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.
~Thulsa Doom~

Post September 4th, 2012, 12:42 am
Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Thulsa, I knew you'd understand because, like me, you've been there in the arcades trying to make those coins last as long as possible. You're dead right about modern day games. Something got lost along the way from the arcade roots to the current state of affairs. Do you remember how the majority of games on old consoles were as tough as nails, too (particularly on the NES)? Of course, some of it was due to lousy design, but there were also many good, hard console games that you'd be proud to conquer. These days, most games are way too casual and over-hyped and it can all get pretty frivolous after a while. I always find myself getting drawn back to arcade and retro games whenever my need for a real challenge must be satisfied.

That's a nice list, Thulsa. If I may be so bold, I think your best bet for a 1CC outta those games would be Golden Axe.

Another thing about 1CCs; what may seem nigh on impossible from one person's perspective could be another man's Easy Street (albeit as a result of intense discipline), as demonstrated by these maniacs. Vid quality is not the best in these, but bear with it to see what is possible.

Post September 5th, 2012, 8:13 pm
Incito User avatar
Founder
Founder

I LOVE this thread!
I could watch these videos all day! :clapping: :thumbsup:

Post September 6th, 2012, 7:13 am
jyarrison Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Hierophant wrote:
Zen of Arcade 1CC

Skill or die!

When you put real money into a real arcade machine, you either have the skill to get your money's worth, or, you don't, and you die a quick, expensive death. Young gamers who are discovering arcade games for the first time through MAME may have never been in the presence of an original arcade machine before and probably have no concept of what it's like to pump hard-earned money into one. It's a completely different experience to grabbing a console game, paying for it once, and keeping it forever. The hardcore arcade gaming culture that gave rise to the one credit clear (1CC) philosophy is something they should learn about. It dismays me to see young newcomers totally abusing MAME's functions by casually credit-feeding their way through great games... such a senseless waste.

Right on Hiero. I have to admit that I have been guilty of this since the quarters are now "free". But I see the heroic in what you're doing and I am envious. I am making a vow to treat these quarters as if they were real money and I am still a kid wanting to maximize my play time. Here's to becoming better at video games that are 20+ years old!!! :SM:
JY

Post September 7th, 2012, 3:46 am
Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Yeah, JY, I'm sure we've all been there at some point. When I first got onto MAME I was guilty of credit-feeding some really good games to the end. It always ruined the games for me, though. You feel like you're not showing those games the respect they deserve. I would end up regretting it later so I started setting some boundaries.

I'm not out to 1CC every arcade game I play; doing a 1CC takes great concentration so I'm usually only doing that for one game at a time. These days, with the good games, I mainly either 1) limit my credits to a reasonable amount that still makes it impossible to clear the game unless I can significantly improve my skills (in which case I lower the limit to keep the challenge factor going), or 2) only play with one credit anyway, just for the hell of it, even if I'm not really working on a 1CC for that game.

I haven't even thought about what arcade game I'd try to 1CC next after doing Metal Slug. :unsure:

jyarrison wrote:
Here's to becoming better at video games that are 20+ years old!!! :SM:

LOL! :rofl:

Post April 10th, 2013, 1:27 am
starlingmax User avatar
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Nekketsu kouha kunio kun one credit

Hi guys, thanks to this awesome forum I learned how to record gameplays on Mame! so here is my first recorded video, it's me beating Nekketsu kouha kunio kun on one credit.... the game keeps looping just like kung fu master so this video is basically the whole game, I hope you to enjoy it!

Yeah yeah... sure, no problem.. ehhmmm well... bye...

Post April 10th, 2013, 2:59 am
Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Haha, neat! I don't think I've ever seen that game in action before. Thanks for joining in the fun, starlingmax. :V:

Post April 10th, 2013, 10:53 am
starlingmax User avatar
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Hiero! you should play this one since is a really good game and its also a milestone in videogame history, after this game Kunio would appear in several games and would be Technoss' mascot!
Yeah yeah... sure, no problem.. ehhmmm well... bye...

Next

Return to Just for Fun

Google+