Selecting a Frontend

Show us your cabinet, control panel, or clever mod. Tell us what you did and share how you did it. Bask in the glory!
Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: X-Men

Re: Selecting a Frontend

Post by Seraph » February 24th, 2017, 2:08 pm

Hey guys my personal life has had me really busy lately, but has anyone else been messing with Launchbox/Big Box? The latest patch allows you to merge game versions into one title where you select your favorite version in the menu. However, you can expand it and select another game version. Although it is kind of a tedious process it makes for a great addition. I will be requesting they make some later improvemebts to speed the process up.

Anyway, in my limited spare time I am getting close to finishing setting up my frontend. It won't be anything exciting to showcase initially, but the wife has me pressed to finish setting my system up before I can do some MAME playing since I spent some coin to get my system off the ground. I just used videos from Launchbox and Simply Austin to get my frontend to look like theirs with minor twists according to my tastes. Anyway, I hope to be at least 50 percent done this weekend. My kids have just absolutely worn me out lately and I still want to get back to game reviews. I think that new feature alone has set me back over a week in free time.

Does anyone else spend a lot of time tweaking their frontend or is it just me?
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt... and I'm all out of bubblegum. - George Nada (They Live)

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Post by PantherUK » February 25th, 2017, 10:25 pm

I'm always tinkering and tweaking mate, that's half the fun of emulation for me...
Ooer... No pictures...

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Seraph » March 20th, 2017, 8:17 pm

Hey everyone! I've been quiet lately due to my little ones occupying much of my free time. I do have some notes for everyone to consider pertaining to LaunchBox/Big Box.

I recommend you assign a drive letter for your files way down the list. For example, I use X because if I ever bring the drive to someone else's house, odds are that I won't have to worry about them having that drive occupied. Unfortunately, they direct metadata (box art, manuals, etc.) To drive letter and folders, so I think this would solve headaches later.

If you forget everything else remember this: Never open your drive and LaunchBox/Big Box .exe file with all of your stuff on another computer without ensuring the drive is your appropriate drive letter. If you look for any games you may add going forward you would be wiping the work you did right? That means the time spent downloading that associated metadata too!

I will be recmmending that their bulk edit tool allows you to add star values to multiple games as well. For example, I would like to make my top tier games 5 stars and honorable games 4 stars, leaving the rest unrated. At least they allowed you to combine like named roms to avoid duplicates. I wasted an entire weekend consolidating NES games I had just before they patched their consolidating tool in. Forget that and thank you Launchbox!

I will also be requesting that they have an option in their consolidating tool to also use that for selecting the default rom to go to when you select your game. For instance, if you could make all games default to North America like they have in MAME, sure you will have a few games with REV A that you want to make default but it would severely cut down the workload I'm doing now for others.

I will likely take screenshots of menus so people can see how I have my Frontend configured, but will omit screens of my games list for obvious reasons for each console. I will also be showing things I added in the folders themselves to personalize my frontend.

More to come fellas!
Last edited by Seraph on March 21st, 2017, 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt... and I'm all out of bubblegum. - George Nada (They Live)

PantherUK

Post by PantherUK » March 21st, 2017, 1:47 am

Good stuff mate, looking forward to seeing your information... :thumbsup:
Ooer... No pictures...

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Seraph » March 21st, 2017, 8:41 am

I forgot to post my three questions for the end of that reply.

When I'm not even clicking on my keyboard inside Big Box it seems to have a mind of its own and moving through platforms and titles lagging me to death. I'm thinking because I use a Surface Pro 3 I need to clean both male and female ports to see if that does it. However, I only see that through that one app. This leads me to my next question.

Could it be lag from my drive causing it? Have any of you tried to use a frontend like that via usb 3.0? My dream of running that on my ultralight laptop may be dead and it could be that I need to use a tower and internal hard drive. I've maxed out my PC performance I think to get it running. I may just disable videos and try that.

Windows 10 is messing me up on the energy saving settings limitations guys! If I don't constantly have serious activity through my Plugable brand 7 port usb hub, it power saves and makes my drive or the individual led light for the used ports go out. That means my frontend app could shut down on me during inactivity periods, and between levels or inactivity I could have to wait to reinitialize my controller ports causing resulting lag too. Maybe I need to call that manufacturer but anyone ever have a problem like that? I hope I don'thave to use the hub as a spare and buy another 30 dollar hub.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts. Or if I'm on the right track and need to investigate those things further. If you guys know of a solution to try let me know please.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » March 22nd, 2017, 3:31 am

Dunno if it helps, Seraph, but have you tried this? Go to Power Options and choose 'High Performance' over 'Balanced'. Then go to 'Change plan settings' and have the 'Turn off the display' and 'Put the computer to sleep' options both set to 'Never'.

PantherUK

Post by PantherUK » March 22nd, 2017, 8:41 pm

With regards to BigBox having a mind of it's own, are you sure you haven't got attract mode switched on in the settings..?
Ooer... No pictures...

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Seraph » March 23rd, 2017, 9:54 am

I will check to see about attract mode being on. Wow, I looked up what attract mode does and maybe that's it! I'm gonna laugh so hard if that was where my lag was when I get time to test this weekend. Thanks guys. Still puzzles abot my hub but I need to take screens. I don't remember having all the power settings I've had in previous computers.

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Seraph » March 25th, 2017, 10:40 pm

I can't freaking believe it! I spent so much time fine tuning my setup that I missed out on looking at Attract Mode! Haha! Thanks guys. Now I just need to sort out my USB hub.

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Seraph » March 29th, 2017, 4:26 am

Stay tuned everyone! This weekend if all goes well, I'm posting how I set up my LaunchBox/BigBox custom theme version 1.0 with screenshots. Then, I'm getting my computer setup based on recommendations you all gave to get back into recording clips for reviews.