Board index Arcade Cabinets and More! Selecting a Frontend

Selecting a Frontend

Show us your cabinet, control panel, or clever mod. Tell us what you did and share how you did it. Bask in the glory!
Post December 13th, 2016, 1:49 pm
Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

I am now looking at setting up a frontend completely before I begin the final phase of building a cabinet. What frontend did you all decide on and has any of the UK guys heard about Simply Austin on YouTube? I am leaning towards Hyperspin but I would like some feedback before I sink time for nothing in a frontend I will drop later. I used Suits00 post on frontends as a starting point. I wonder if anything has changed on the opinion of each frontend. Thanks in advance you guys and see the link below.

https://youtu.be/FDt9Et73quw
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt... and I'm all out of bubblegum. - George Nada (They Live)

Post December 14th, 2016, 1:28 am
PantherUK Moderator

I watch Simply Austin's channel and like him I recommend LaunchBox/BigBox which I am currently setting up with a view to porting it to my cabinet...
Ooer... No pictures...

Post December 14th, 2016, 11:51 am
Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

I will look into that setup and keep watching to learn, but it's reassuring you know about him. Any advice he gives that you'd change or anything else to consider? Anyone else to watch or anyone you prefer over him? I just found out about him but maybe my frontend mess won't be so bad after all. Thanks!
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt... and I'm all out of bubblegum. - George Nada (They Live)

Post December 17th, 2016, 2:43 pm
Raitsa New Member

The new GameEx Arcade Edition is my choice.

Post December 18th, 2016, 10:03 pm
Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

I have narrowed down my search to the following Front Ends at this time.

LaunchBox / Big Box is my number 1 choice for the ease of customization for my friends. I may eventually grow out of this Front End, but my friends will likely be bound to this one. That is not even a bad thing because for the superior ease of use I see very little you lose. Over time improvements can eventually add things but the core programs user interface is a huge plus.

RetroFE is my next choice because of its seen potential going forward.

GameEx still has some work on their user aspect, but being the oldest kid on the block I will watch this one.

I will follow this thread, so if I am missing anything please let me know. I am beginning my journey with LaunchBox / Big Box tomorrow!

See the link below:

https://youtu.be/gu7ODdyfEAc

Post December 20th, 2016, 10:15 pm
Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

I'm one day in setting up LaunchBox and man is it time consuming but worth it. So far it's mostly trying to learn how to set up each system, integrate other stuff within those systems and populating the media content within each game. Also, I ran into a glitch by populating the Famicom Disk System. Luckily I was able to get the two games I own to work. Castlevania and Super Mario Bros. 2 the Japanese version. So far I have MAME, Famicom Disk System, and NES working. I need to get everything fine tuned on all systems before I will start getting it to look nice. By the way, I will likely use 4 PS4 controllers, 2 new Hori Fightpads for fighting games, and 2 of the following light guns:

http://www.ultimarc.com/store/section.php?xSec=7

It allows 4 player Goldeneye with this config I set up, 6 player X-Men fun on MAME, and 2 player light gun action. What you all think? That should do everything I want except the eventual trackball.

Post December 21st, 2016, 1:26 am
PantherUK Moderator

RetroArch is pretty good to use along with LaunchBox, I use that for NES and SNES on my big TV but I haven't tried it on the vertical screen in my cabinet yet...
Ooer... No pictures...

Post December 23rd, 2016, 11:23 am
Incito User avatar
Founder
Founder

Raitsa wrote:
The new GameEx Arcade Edition is my choice.

WOW! HUGE change to go head to head with Hyperspin.
I will have to check this out and give Tom a shout.

Post December 25th, 2016, 7:17 pm
Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Raitsa may have the right idea Incito. Is it true that Hyperspin is not looking at any ore upgrades? That hurts them a little if true in my book. However, while I work on mastering Launchbox / Big Box I will consider getting Hyperspin or GameEx but it will be at least a year away while I make good use of my new frontend. I have figured out some on the theme side and have got all my games uploaded. Soon I will be looking at what needs to be done next including controller setup. Anything I should look into for setting things up?

Post December 31st, 2016, 9:00 pm
Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

My slow internet where I have been the last few weeks has slowed me down on big time setting up my frontend. However, I am so glad I started with Big Box! I have adjusted most of my settings, so all I need to do is set up the advanced emulator settings and custom configurations for each emulator's controls. Than, it's just playing with the themes, videos, and fine tuning it. I will likely be to a point where I'm happy with my first complete setup by Monday night. See you all in 2017!

Next

Return to Arcade Cabinets and More!

Google+