new cabinet maker here :(

Show us your cabinet, control panel, or clever mod. Tell us what you did and share how you did it. Bask in the glory!
soldsoul4foos

new cabinet maker here :(

Post by soldsoul4foos » September 22nd, 2016, 9:05 am

Hi, I have just recently decided to build a cabinet, put a pc in it running mame.exe, and play games. I'm not an expert by any means. I have my joystick working with a usb controller, and have 13 buttons available to install. I also have an old cabinet that I've taken all the guts out of, and started making a new mount for the joysticks and buttons.

I only have two main questions at this point. I'm kind of learning as I go.

1. What should I look for in a monitor to replace the old tube that I removed. I do have the bezel that went around it.
2. Is there a standard button configuration layout I should use? I will (afaik) be playing mostly ms. pac man, donkey kong, etc. But I guess with the buttons available, I don't want to limit myself. May as well make it as applicable as possible.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Bill

From the site rules: New members will be in the "Newly Registered Users" group for their first few posts. Each post must be approved by a Moderator. - PantherUK

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Re: new cabinet maker here :(

Post by PantherUK » September 23rd, 2016, 12:31 am

If you want compatibility for everything MAME has to offer, I would say a minimum of 6 buttons for each player is a must...
I've got a 30" LCD placed vertically in my cabinet and I make use of the CRT effects shaders to give it that old look...
Ooer... No pictures...

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Re: new cabinet maker here :(

Post by Incito » September 23rd, 2016, 11:15 am

I can help with #2.
You need to figure out what your top 3 favorite games our and place around this.
Like Panther said, most do the 3 on top and 3 on the bottom with a player1 and player2 button up higher in the middle.

Note:
SNK games usually are 4 button sort of an "L" shape that is turned 90 degrees clockwise.
Mortal Kombat has a 5 button X pattern.
Street Fighter is 6 button, 3up and 3 down.