Board index Arcade Cabinets and More! My Star Wars Arcade - 1st Cab

My Star Wars Arcade - 1st Cab

Show us your cabinet, control panel, or clever mod. Tell us what you did and share how you did it. Bask in the glory!
Post October 4th, 2015, 3:51 pm
Hello everyone,

Decided to finally post my mame project which started back in April and just finished a few days ago... all and all it was a great project which allowed for me and my father to spend some time together over some beers and weekend mornings.

Over the past 2 years I kept surfing on the web and checking out great mame arcade builds and after thinking of how cool it was a question kept arising 'could I pull this off?' Finally after a LOT of thinking and procrastinating I decided to go for it and was quite gung-ho to get this done over Easter Break (lol). I got some plans off the net, made a list, and with my little wood-working knowledge got started on building the cab.... thank God my father was on my team to help me get through some of the rough spots of the project. Also kudos to my VERY supportive gf who has been very understanding and supportive of this whole project and the countless days Ive spent on it to get it completed. At some points it got to the point of psychosis on my end to finish it up (yes 3 AM can 'roll' up on you quite fast on a worknight when you're trying to hide that pesky windows start up screen to give your cab a more authentic feel when powering on....madness)

I was trying to capture the late 80s early 90s type of cab feel - the era of arcade games I grew up with and actually played as a kid. Shinobi and Double Dragon where about to revisit me many many years later :hooray:

The first version of the cab was operatable about 2 weeks after I started building - the rest of the time has been me trying to upgrade and improve on it.....the timeline in bullet points:

-first build complete - Iron Maiden (my fav band) as first practice theme
-lights in buttons flickering on off - fixed
-setting up frontend....after going through numerous I settled on Maximus Arcade
-setting up custom frontend theme based on Star Wars
-get Rasberi Pi to replace my old pc as the 'brains' of the arcade and after 10 days of endles frustration I toss i and go back to PC
-throw the Rasberi Pi in the toilet and try to flush it after being completely flustered as to why the f*#&@ it's not workig right
-suddenly realize one of the arcade buttons has become permanently stuck....ruining all emulation...turns out it's a faulty xin/mo usb and the reason rasbery pi (or anything else at this point) wasn't working properly
-get replacement for usb controller
-re-download and fix 1800 MAME Roms to work with latest version of MAME
-download videos/snaps for all games
-graphics card from pc burns out - replaced it

So after a lot of sweat, blood, tears, and beers may I present to you a cab that combines my favorite things.....old-school gaming plus Star Wars :) Currently it has over 10 different systems set-up and close to 8000 games playable. GF once more was super cool and insisted that the cab stays in the living room!

May the force be with us - happy gaming to all and will try my luck at a 2nd build over the summer....

Hope you like it,

Post October 4th, 2015, 6:38 pm
PantherUK User avatar

Sweet build mate, love it... And up the Irons..! :liil:

Post October 5th, 2015, 4:37 am
Voljega Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

It's beautiful !

I really wish I had more place in my flat and the time and money to this kind of project !

I'm currently trying to use a Pi2 distribution to emulate every old console and arcade games but arcade is a real pain in the @!#?@! in terms of ratios and performance !

Post October 5th, 2015, 4:55 pm
Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Cool Star Wars theme, lambros1981! :starwars:

Interesting build story, too. Even though making one of these isn't always fun and games, it must be worth it in the end.

Post October 6th, 2015, 5:07 pm
Thulsa Arbiter
Arbiter

Great cab. Love the name.
My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.
~Thulsa Doom~

Post October 6th, 2015, 5:24 pm
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Definitely worth all the time and effort in the end....its all about taking the 'leap of faith' and getting started - a lot you figure along the way.

On pi2 I found libreta (sp?) to be able to play all mame roms bug with noticeable slowdown for newer ones (mk3 / nba jam) ... not sure if its powerful enough or if it needs overclocking etc..... best of luck to u, I took the easy way out with an old pc.

Panther, Iron Maiden rocks, seriously considered an arcade themed after them - just imagine all the artwork you have to work with (eddie) plus maximus arcade with the trooper and caught somewhere in time tracks would be sweet. :liil:

Post October 9th, 2015, 1:46 pm
Incito User avatar
Founder
Founder

Really cool build, and live the marquee!
The Skull and X-wing fighter is SICK!
Just in time to celebrate Battlefront coming out in November. :starwars:

Post November 13th, 2015, 6:54 pm
Lershy User avatar
Gamer Extreme
Gamer Extreme

Beaut for a 1st cab. Nice work!

Return to Arcade Cabinets and More!

Google+