Board index Arcade Cabinets and More! JY's Virtual Pincab project

JY's Virtual Pincab project

Show us your cabinet, control panel, or clever mod. Tell us what you did and share how you did it. Bask in the glory!
Post October 28th, 2014, 8:06 am
jyarrison Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

UPDATE

Here is a link to pictures of my build. http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/jyarrison/slideshow/Virtual%20Pinball%20cabinet%20build

I got the bug a few years ago to build a virtual pinball cabinet after one of the games in a Thulsa Doom Challenge was a virtual pinball game. I was amazed and kind of got the bug. I had my MAME cab but wanted pinball to go along with it. A few months ago I decided to move forward with it and started collecting parts. Once I had enough parts to make it work, I decided to set up a test rig so I could start downloading full screen tables, configuring my DMD and setting up the backglass. I also wanted to work on setting up my LEDWIZ since I had never worked with one before. So my project is far from finished but as you'll see in the photos, it is in a "playable" state at the moment. I have plans to move forward soon with the actual cabinet.

The pictures of the screens didn't turn out so clear. There is so much light coming from the displays at different distances, I think my BlackBerry had a hard time focusing. Also the DMD is pretty much always moving or flashing, so that didn't help.
(BTW, anyone else on here using a BlackBerry?? BBM!)

Currently, it is just laying on an old table in my basement.

Yes, the playfield monitor is being held up by a stack of old DVDs. Classy, I know.

I quickly built a mount to throw my flipper buttons in. Red buttons are nudge. The distance the flipper buttins are placed are very comfortable so I will probably use those dimensions in my real cabinet. Those clamps are currently holding my controls in place on the table. The clamps are quite strong and work great for a temporary hold.

One of many fun tables..

Getting my frontend, PinballX, working. There is a cool little PinballX animated logo playing on my real DMD while you are browsing through to select the table you want to play.

Lighted launch ball button, controlled by LEDWIZ. I have a larger red button I'll be using in my cab. This was again, just some testing.

Bose cube speakers with powered sub for great sound. Also have 3 RGB LED flashers setup just above the backglass monitor. Can see 2 of them lit here. They are controlled by LEDWIZ also which is controlled by the pinball rom.
Last edited by jyarrison on July 14th, 2015, 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JY

Post October 28th, 2014, 11:03 am
PantherUK User avatar

Awesome work mate, that will be the mutts nuts when you've finished... If I had the space and time, the wife would kill me lol
Ooer... No pictures...

Post October 29th, 2014, 5:40 am
Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Wow, JY, it's fascinating to see your process. It looks like there is a bit more involved than building a regular MAME cab. Thanks for the shot of Medieval Madness at the end there!

Post October 29th, 2014, 8:50 am
Incito User avatar
Founder
Founder

Holy crap that's awesome! I will share this in MA Facebook! Nice work! :thumbsup:

Post November 1st, 2014, 6:54 pm
starlingmax User avatar
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Man, I just don't have words to describe how awesome I think this is... And is not even finished! I would be so thrilled if I were you!
Yeah yeah... sure, no problem.. ehhmmm well... bye...

Post July 13th, 2015, 5:20 pm
Gold Skull member

EDIT

I have started a folder to this project. I am kind of keeping it as a record for myself and thought I'd share it here as well. Here is a link to my build folder:

http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/jyarrison/slideshow/Virtual%20Pinball%20cabinet%20build

Hey guys. I have finally started to make some more progress towards my virtual pinball cabinet. Here are some pics.

Cabinet built. Adding wood filler and sanding trying to make it look as smooth as possible. I am no woodworker so I know I will have to settle for mediocre, at best.

Cabinet and backbox. Backbox is laying on its side.

2 coats of gray primer and I figured out how to attach one leg. Woohoo!!Inside corner showing leg bolt bracket

Back inside my basement. Painting is done. All 4 legs are on. Almost ready to start the electrical wiring :hooray:
Last edited by jyarrison on July 14th, 2015, 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JY

Post July 14th, 2015, 12:42 am
PantherUK User avatar

Nice work mate, looks the business... Certainly beats a stack of DVD boxes... :tongue:
Ooer... No pictures...

Post July 14th, 2015, 4:17 am
Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Can't wait to see it all lit up, JY. It's gonna rock! I hope you do a vid of it in action when you're done. :woot:

Post July 14th, 2015, 3:01 pm
Gold Skull member

Thanks guys. I will definitely put up a video of some action when it is ready. I made some more progress today. It is standing on its own!! No more sawhorses. Hopefully I will make some more progress this weekend.

I created a link to my build folder so you anyone can check my photos. It is in the first post on this topic. I will post when I make updates. Looking forward to playing this project.
JY

Post July 14th, 2015, 9:19 pm
Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

It's really starting to take shape now, JY. Seeing it standing on its own legs makes a big difference.

Next

Return to Arcade Cabinets and More!

Google+