Board index Arcade Cabinets and More! Smile station - My build blog

Smile station - My build blog

Show us your cabinet, control panel, or clever mod. Tell us what you did and share how you did it. Bask in the glory!
Post February 27th, 2014, 4:25 am
Nostalgia User avatar
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

It looks like so much effort of things I just can't be bothered doing, i'm just not manly enough! So jealous still.

Please keep posting updates mate. :)

Post February 27th, 2014, 5:07 am
smile123 User avatar
Gamer Extreme
Gamer Extreme

Hi Nostalgia

Personally I love building things and learning new stuff so to me it's a challenge that I am really enjoying but the reward is that it will do something when it's finished equally as enjoyable. I suppose you are right, if it isn't something you will actually enjoy then building a cabinet can be a pain I guess.

It's all about the gaming I suppose.........
Adopt - Adapt - Improve

Post February 27th, 2014, 8:47 am
Nostalgia User avatar
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

As long as everyone is happy all is good mate!

Post February 28th, 2014, 9:57 am
PantherUK User avatar

You wait until the day you finish the build and switch it on for the first time completed... It's a real moment to behold and remember, especially with the amount of work you've put into it..!

Post February 28th, 2014, 7:55 pm
smile123 User avatar
Gamer Extreme
Gamer Extreme

Today I did some work on the screen area. Found this to be the hardest bit so far...

I played around with the screen position a bit but since this photo I decided the acrylic screen will come right down into the acrylic covered control panel. Might look nice if the artwork connects the two. Also there might just be room for some speakers below the marquee section at the top...

I sprayed the monitor front black, only a couple of mm's is visible eventually. I knocked up four pieces that had an external to exactly fit the acrylic I had cut. The internal cut out fits flush with the edges of the LCD.

Bezel in place, paint is still drying and it probably needs another coat..

Test fit for Bezel to acrylic screen...

Front view. Plan is for printed artwork between the bezel and acrylic...

Skipping a few photos .... everything fits! Needs tidying up a bit but with the artwork in place this should hopefully work out well. Some issues included buttons on the front of the monitor and figuring out how to get everything central...

First cab build for me and this bit is proving tricky especially as I have not got any plans to follow. It's coming together slowly but surely and although the plan was to whizz through it to get some experience for a better cab I am now starting to fuss over stuff.
Adopt - Adapt - Improve

Post March 1st, 2014, 9:49 am
Incito User avatar
Founder
Founder

I like your method of making a bezel. Pretty smart actually. Many people, myself included, tend to add the bezel after the monitor is mounted. Nice.

Is that your printer next to your arcade? Perhaps a dumb question, but want to be certain. :ouch:

Post March 1st, 2014, 10:11 am
smile123 User avatar
Gamer Extreme
Gamer Extreme

The monitor bezel is not my idea I don't think, I thought about it and it came straight into my head. I must have seen it somewhere before but it made perfect sense. Yes there are two printers in my shop, one is for 24 inch roll media and the other takes a 44 inch wide roll.
Adopt - Adapt - Improve

Post March 4th, 2014, 4:20 pm
Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Hey, smile123, I just wanted to say thank you for showing us your build in such detail. It's gonna be awesome to see how it all turns out. I like the non-game themed artwork idea. That will make it pretty unique and also pretty badass, considering the two alternatives you have in mind (Anonymous and The Joker).

:hello:

Post March 11th, 2014, 7:40 pm
smile123 User avatar
Gamer Extreme
Gamer Extreme

I took the one piece back off with a view to making it two seperate panels for easier access, the whole cabinet became flexible so I strengthened it and it's now solid even without the back on so thats good.

I finished the frame for the monitor, it might look a bit over engineered but I needed to be able to mount it easily on my own. I also wanted to be able to remove the bezel from the front easily without taking any panels of etc etc

Monitor in place and everything lines up perfectly.

Here is the final support I made for the monitor -

With the monitor removed the reveal can now be seen which will carry the artwork.

I added the small panel above the display to carry the speakers so the cabinet shell is now complete with the monitor mounted inside... currently working on the light for the bezel, the speakers and thinking about the control panel. Just today sorted a Pc for the cabinet.
Adopt - Adapt - Improve

Post March 12th, 2014, 2:15 am
PantherUK User avatar

Awesome stuff mate, you should start a cabinet building sideline..!

PreviousNext

Return to Arcade Cabinets and More!

Google+