My build...

Show us your cabinet, control panel, or clever mod. Tell us what you did and share how you did it. Bask in the glory!
Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Re: My build...

Post by Hierophant » April 2nd, 2013, 7:27 pm

Love your idea for a simple desktop front-end, Panther. Very innovative. If I had a MAME cab I'd do the same.

Chevron
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by Chevron » April 5th, 2013, 6:41 am

Hey all, after a bit of messing about and deciding a frontend wasn't for me I used Windows 7 to make a kind of user friendly "frontend" with the desk top...
Because I use the Tankstick as a mouse it all works perfectly...
Care to enlighten us and how you done this?

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Post by PantherUK » April 5th, 2013, 5:04 pm

Chevron wrote:
Hey all, after a bit of messing about and deciding a frontend wasn't for me I used Windows 7 to make a kind of user friendly "frontend" with the desk top...
Because I use the Tankstick as a mouse it all works perfectly...
Care to enlighten us and how you done this?
Just a Windows 7 desktop with some Mame wallpaper...
Some game system icons... (Of which there are thousands on the net)
The clever bit is giving the icons an invisible name and they all have to be different... Just right click and choose rename and use a combination of the ASCII character you get from holding down ALT and typing 255 on the numeric keypad and spaces... est voila... That's all there is to it, and it looks a lot smarter than it is clever...
All that's left is to right click on the desktop, hover over view and change icon size to large...

That really is all there is to it, but it looks so effective...
Ooer... No pictures...

PantherUK

Post by PantherUK » August 20th, 2013, 11:55 am

After reading about gpzJacks latest cab, I realised I forgot to mention I put a new quad core PC in the cabinet ages ago... :ohmy:

Runs everything super smooth which is why I've got Playstation (for Tekken 3 full speed) and the Sega Model 2 and 3 stuff on there...
Ooer... No pictures...

ebarlow99

Post by ebarlow99 » August 20th, 2013, 1:26 pm

sweet....I need to get mine going so I can play some PS games..... what are some of your specs?

PantherUK

Post by PantherUK » August 21st, 2013, 3:15 am

Hey EB99, this is the PC running my cabinet... AMD A6 3670K Quad Core 2.7GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, AMD HD6530D onboard Radeon graphics, which I think is running with 1gb of RAM nicked from the main 8gb... Runs MAME/Arcade stuff like a dream and the EPSXe ps1 emulator runs sweet as with the graphics all smoothed etc as well as all the other emu's I've got on there...
Ooer... No pictures...

ebarlow99

Post by ebarlow99 » August 21st, 2013, 7:01 am

very nice!

I didn't add Playstation to mine but on the next build im going all out.....just need to find the time to get it all done.....to much going on..... CNC almost completed will post pics when done!

PantherUK

Post by PantherUK » October 26th, 2014, 8:41 pm

Hey guys, it's been a while since I updated this, but my humble little cabinet has had an upgrade... I basically took the tower case out of it as a friend of mine had a collection of better PC parts which he gave to me... I decided against using any kind of case for the parts, so basically the cabinet is the tower case... Please note the very special solution for steadying the graphics card... :wink:

With a nice meaty sub for that thump of bass...

This time around I have also put the DVD drive up on the shelf, which is good for playing DVD's and CD's should the need arise and also for the Dragons Lair and Space Ace DVD's I have too... (The keyboard slides to the left to enable the CD tray to open fully)

Even though it was a feature that proved popular with a lot of people on Mameaddicts, the rotating monitor has gone... The same guy that gave me the computer parts also upgraded his monitor and gave me the old one... He had no use for all these bits, so they have gone to a good home and he does come and play on the arcade, so it's all good... The monitor is a 30 inch widescreen, and the picture is outstanding...

ImageImage

I need to get a different vesa mount for the screen as in it's current form I'm losing some behind the speaker board, I've sorted that with a custom screen resolution for now, but when it moves back and down, I should have the entire screen area visible... Due to the size of the screen I reckon I've gained a couple of inches for horizontal games, but for vertical games it is mahoosive..! All in all a successful refit... Just a little bit bigger than the 19 inch 4:3 it's replaced..!

Street Fighter II

Final Fight

Slap Fight

DoDonPachi

And as it's currently, at the time of writing, the current TDC game... Medieval Madness on Visual Pinball...

Visual Pinball has been fun to set up as there is not a lot of help on portrait mode, so I just edited the X scale in the editor and saved the tables out... This is not possible for all the tables with extra bits of graphics without a lot of messing about, but for the most part easy enough to sort out...

So now it's just a vesa mount and some form of bezel/enclosure, maybe even some artwork of some description, we shall see... Hope you enjoyed looking at what I've been up to with it... :thumbsup:
Ooer... No pictures...

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » October 27th, 2014, 3:22 am

Very interesting to see the new guts of your machine, mate. I especially appreciate you showing us how you've got Medieval Madness looking for the next challenge. Good times ahead!

:woot:

PantherUK

Post by PantherUK » October 27th, 2014, 3:28 am

Thanks mate, after all the faffing about with buttons and graphics, I just had to get a pic of Medieval Madness in there..!
Ooer... No pictures...