Customized MAME.EXE versions suited for cabinets

Show us your cabinet, control panel, or clever mod. Tell us what you did and share how you did it. Bask in the glory!
Vedderist
Gamer Supreme
Gamer Supreme
Favorite Game: Raiden

Re: Customized MAME.EXE versions suited for cabinets

Post by Vedderist » October 26th, 2011, 5:34 pm

Awesome tutorial mate. You've explained everything really well. Can't wait to give it a try and compile my own mame.exe

Cheers :clapping:
I know I was Born....I Know that I'll Die....The In-between is Mine

aaronbewza
Gamer Extreme
Gamer Extreme
Favorite Game: Galaga

Source for files needed

Post by aaronbewza » November 15th, 2011, 4:11 am

I propose that someone could offer a bit of bandwidth and a little space on their webpage somewhere, to host everything required to alter a regular compile of MAME into a custom one with hiscore support and save-state messages removed. I can build a small tool (matching version numbers of MAME) which could make the alterations and start compiling it with those things already added. I think the idea is valid because no actual MAME files would be hosted at any time, which would be a no-no. A person would simply have to drag-and-drop my tool into their downloaded MAME source folder and run it... boom done.
I could build one for a range of MAME version numbers (each one is a little different) so if anyone is willing to contribute to this, I'd totally make it happen. The tool would be 1mb, and would work on XP, Vista and Windows 7 computers. The other files would be a few hundred kb.
AutoHotkey builds cool stuff.

aaronbewza
Gamer Extreme
Gamer Extreme

Post by aaronbewza » December 20th, 2011, 11:48 pm

"Aaron's Custom MAME Compiler version 1.0" is almost ready! A little more testing and I can release it.

It is automated... here is a list of what it does at the click of a button:
- Detects your version of MAME Source code and patches in High Score support for your specific version, automatically (from 108 to newest)
- Permanently and completely removes "State Successfully Loaded" message boxes
- Creates the matching version of "HiScore.dat" to use with the compiled MAME executable
- Creates the matching version of "MAME.INI" to use with the compiled MAME executable (already optimized for the new options)
- Creates "compile.bat" in your MAME Source folder to use any time (will start compiling)

System Requirements:
- Tested on Windows 7 32-bit
- MAME source files folder (MAME download page, any version from 108 and newer)
- MinGW working folder (MinGW download page, must be compatible with chosen MAME version)

I'll release this thing in a few days once testing is complete :)

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Post by Incito » December 20th, 2011, 11:51 pm

So cool!
It's awesome to have programers on MA! :thumbsup:

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » December 21st, 2011, 3:13 am

Very cool indeed, Aaron! :SM:

Baraka

Post by Baraka » November 15th, 2012, 10:17 pm

Thanks for this great writeup! This was the thread that Google suggested for me that introduced me to this site. I was able to compile my first Cab-specific Mame.exe and I feel so fancy now. :thumbsup: One question though, is there some specific param that I should include to make my compiled EXE optimized for my specific i3 dual core? It have not found anything that says how to do it, but yet I keep reading posts that seem to suggest that MAME now supports dual core and quad core processors. Maybe I am just confused. The last version of MAME I had before compiling my version .147u2 was .83 lol. I have some catching up to do.

Baraka

aaronbewza
Gamer Extreme
Gamer Extreme

Post by aaronbewza » November 16th, 2012, 4:09 am

There is only the specific param used to compile MAME which takes advantage of multiple cores for more speed when compiling. If there is support inside MAME for multiple cores it would be there regardless of how it was compiled. The customization only removes message boxes and adds high score support (hiscore.dat)... nothing else is changed :)

Baraka

Post by Baraka » November 16th, 2012, 7:50 am

Thanks Aaron for the quick response! That clears everything up for me. I realize that the processor topics I have been reading are in fact referring to compile times and not MAME's ability to use different processors. I am so out of the loop and trying to catch up. The good news is that I compiled a working .147u2 with the hiscore.dat and now that I have done it, I feel super special. lol

Thanks again!!

Baraka

Chevron
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by Chevron » November 16th, 2012, 9:39 am

Is it against the rules or frown upon to link a precompiled version of mame 147u2 nonag hi score for people on here?

If its all good i can host and link it here.

aaronbewza
Gamer Extreme
Gamer Extreme

Post by aaronbewza » November 16th, 2012, 9:56 pm

I think that's a no-no... simply out of respect for the authors of MAME and for those who run this site. I think the MAME developers frown at people posting hacked compiled versions although it's fine if we do it ourselves.

But... no harm in asking one of the people who run this site :)