Board index MAME Help Help with Neogeo games dip switches on Mameuifx

Help with Neogeo games dip switches on Mameuifx

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
Post December 14th, 2010, 12:12 am
clessx Gamer Extreme
Gamer Extreme

I"ve got mameuifx"s 0.110 version from a link a user kindly provided on mameuifx official forum , and I finally switched from mameplus 0.108u5 to mameuifx 0.110.

High scores save well on dodonpachi and gunbird 2 etc , but this time , I"ve lost the ability to set dipswitch settings on neogeo games , and cannot set to home mode on any neogeo game. I use the same bios , but only free play availible and no other settings. I also noticed some green glitching screens come up when launching neogeo games , which I never experienced with mameplus...

Any help please ? :hello:

i also copy-pasted my original post at mameuifx forum ;

I"ve downloaded mame32fx from the link that alfman kindly provided , and was delighted to see it was compatible with my roms and my high scores were saved without any issues.

But when I switched to neogeo and attempted to play King of Fighters 98 , I noticed that the region and console-arcade mode settings in the dip switches menu are one , and I can only set to free play , thus not being able to set the timer to infinity , or change the difficulty.

I"ve copied my roms from my old mameplus installation , and also the same bios of neogeo which I used without problems for years... In right click settings menu of neogeo.c I can set the bios to Europe , US etc but makes no difference.

I"ve also downloaded neogeo unibios 2.3 but it makes no diffrence neither.

I was very happy my hi score problem being solved , but not being able to use home-mode in neogeo games is a big trade off for me... Sad

What can be the problem ? Doesn"t mameuifx support home mode in neogeo ?

Thanks for your help

clessx

Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

The green screen below is exactly what an arcade operator would see when turning on a Neo Geo MVS each morning. I'm accustomed to seeing the same screen when booting Neo Geo MVS games in all the MAMEs that I've used:

It's possible that MAMEUIFX does not recognise the AES bios. Like you said, to access the bios settings in MAMEUIFX go right click on any Neo Geo game in Available>Properties for neodrvr.c>Miscellaneous>BIOS. I'm using MAMEUIFX 0.132 to demonstrate here:

On the Default bios I get the KOF'98 How To Play in English:

If I use a Japan bios I get this instead:

Rather than using dipswitches in MAME's tab menu, press F2 to access the service menu and change Neo Geo game settings with the Soft Dip, like so:

Image Image
Image Image

clessx Gamer Extreme
Gamer Extreme

Thanks for your kind and easy-to understand answer.

I"ve finally got my hiscore work in dodonpachi etc , but I was shocked that I noticed I wasnt able to set difficulty in kof or garou , which are all time favourites of mine , and decided to roll back to mameplus ...

So , can I alter all the settings of neogeo games like time , difficulty etc in the menu that come up by pressing f2 ?

Is it completely same as using mameplus" tab-dipswitch menu ? Can I get the in-game menu where I could select versus team , versus 1p , practice , ... ? Does it have any disadvantage compared to mameplus" tab-dipsw method ?

I wonder my old mameplus didnt show the green screens btw...

Finally , can you please teach how did you get to the settings menu you posted here :

I had some trouble navigating the neogeo games" f2 menu which I entered first time

Thank you very much

Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I guess that some things have changed since MAME 0.108. I normally don't use anything older than 0.119 and a lot of what you're questioning is what I would accept as normal. I'll try and answer to the best of my knowledge but keep in mind, some stuff may not apply to an older MAME like 0.108.

Q1. So , can I alter all the settings of neogeo games like time , difficulty etc in the menu that come up by pressing f2 ?

Yes, I think so. That's how I do it in all the newer MAMEs I use.

Q2. Is it completely same as using mameplus" tab-dipswitch menu ?

I've never heard of the Neo Geo dipswitch method you described before. I'd say that at some point, for the sake of accuracy, the MAME Devs moved most of the Neo Geo dipswitch stuff into the F2 service menu instead, just as it would be on a real Neo Geo. In my experience of newer MAME, the tab menu dipswitches for Neo Geo games are identical between MAMEPlus! and MAMEUIFX and are very limited in their usefulness (see screen below). Most of the needed options for each game are in the F2 service menu instead.

Q3. Can I get the in-game menu where I could select versus team , versus 1p , practice , ... ?

That is a complicated area. I may have to revise what I said in my previous post about the AES part of the bios not being recognised in MAMEUIFX. I have something like a super neogeo.zip file that I constructed myself from various bits and pieces I searched and added. I'm using this one Neo Geo bios for all my MAMEs. I did this around the time of 0.134, which is when I first got into normal MAMEPlus! (as opposed to MAME32 Plus! Plus! 0.119 for Kaillera).

Prior to that I had mainly been using MAMEUIFX 0.128 and 0.132 for offline play. Since they're both older than 0.134, it's possible that some parts of my bios are not compatible with those versions of MAMEUIFX. For example, none of the Universe bios's show in MAMEUIFX 0.128, while they do show in 0.132 (as in my neodrvr.c Properties screenshot in previous post). Now, in MAMEPlus! 0.134 I also have the Asia AES and Japan AES bios's available. Now that I think on it, it seems more likely that MAME/bios version compatibility is the issue for me. I'd say that MAMEUIFX should be capable of recognising a compatible AES bios.

In any case, even though I don't get the standard AES bios's showing up in my MAMEUIFXs, so long as the Universe bios is available it's still possible to set it to AES for things like Practice Mode in KOF'98.

Q4. Does it have any disadvantage compared to mameplus" tab-dipsw method ?

Again, I don't know since the MAME tab menu Neo Geo dipswitch options for both MAMEPlus! and MAMEUIFX are identical for all the versions I'm using (as in the screen for Q2. above). So, there are no effective advantages/disadvantages with those dipswitches for me and it doesn't matter anyway since the needed options are in the F2 service menu instead.

Q5. I wonder my old mameplus didnt show the green screens btw...

I'm guessing that it's because you always play in AES mode. The green boot up screen is perfectly normal for MVS mode though.

Q6. Finally , can you please teach how did you get to the settings menu you posted here :

I had some trouble navigating the neogeo games" f2 menu which I entered first time

Sure can. My "How To Turn Blood ON In Metal Slug" video actually has a quick demonstration of the Neo Geo service menu.

clessx Gamer Extreme
Gamer Extreme

Really thanks a million times for taking time to answer me , :hello:

Almost all my questions answered and I can finally enjoy both shooters with hiscores and Kof"s , but I have one last thing to confirm (umm 2 I think).

Can you please confirm that practice mode on Kof games can be used on mameuifx ? It is that I use it a lo for practicing combos and death moves *because I normally suck :blush: *

And finally I wanted to ask about bios *shh , I would ask you if you can share your bios with me but after reading it seems it would not be probably compatible with mameuifx 1.110 and didn"t ask about it* , what is the best bios to use with neogeo games ? If I want to use unibios , must I unzip it first and then re-zip in neogeo.zip bios folder ? Does it have any advantage ?

Thank you :ninja:

Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

No worries mate. Neo Geo is a subject that's very close to my heart since I'm a proud owner of both an AES and a NGCD, as you can see here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=291 :woot:

Q1. Can you please confirm that practice mode on Kof games can be used on mameuifx ?

Yes, I can. As shown in my neodrvr.c Properties screenshot, the Universe bios I have is compatible with MAMEUIFX 0.132, so I can set up AES mode and other cool stuff in that version. Whether or not it can also work on those older MAMEs that you're using is something for you to find out and report back on.

Q2. what is the best b10$ to use with neogeo games ?

As a Neo Geo freak, I'd have to say that the Universe bios is a must have item for true Neo Geo devotees.

Q3. If I want to use unibios , must I unzip it first and then re-zip in neogeo.zip b10$ folder ? Does it have any advantage ?

Yes, that's how I did it. If you can locate the compatible parts then it's a simple matter of extracting neogeo.zip, adding the parts, and rezipping the file.

The Universe bios is definitely a great advantage for Neo Geo fans who want easy access to many game features. Check out THE UNIVERSE BIOS Official Homepage for more details on what it can do. Especially useful are the SCREEN SHOTS and HOW IT WORKS sections.

clessx Gamer Extreme
Gamer Extreme

I"ve added unibios 2.3 to my neogeo.zip bios file , but after running mame and making a refresh it is not listed in bios list. The same old Us. Japan . Europe mvs biosses are listed. I wonder if I need a older version of unibios for mamefx 0.110 ? should I try all unibios from 1.0 I guess :meh:

Also , I unfortunately found out that I cannot select practice menu from f2 menu list , and cannot make time infinite for samsho5sp , only slow fast and normal... I remember all those were availible in in-game main menu... am I missing something here ?

thanks

Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Try the oldest version of the Universe bios and see how you go. Also try adding any AES bios's you can find and hope for the best.

You are slightly misunderstanding something. The F2 service menu only accesses the standard MVS options. For a better range of options you'll need the AES bios and/or the Universe bios.

If none of that works out then I dunno, maybe those bios's weren't even supported back in the MAME 0.108 - 0.110 days and I would suggest that you seriously consider adding a newer version of MAME to your collection. You'd freak out if you saw the full list of Neo Geo bios's I have available in MAMEPlus! 0.134.
:ohmy:

clessx Gamer Extreme
Gamer Extreme

Try the oldest version of the Universe b10$ and see how you go. Also try adding any AES b10$'s you can find and hope for the best.

I will do that. But as far as I can see I can set home or arcade modes with plus 0.108 , even I dont add any aes bios or unibios , is this normal ? it is only a minor difference 108 and 110 I thought but... :huh:

To make it clear and avoid misunderstanding I took a screenshot. by mameplus p0.108u5 (bios is one I got from romnation or coolrom years ago , no unibios included I think)

You are slightly misunderstanding something. The F2 service menu only accesses the standard MVS options. For a better range of options you'll need the AES b10$ and/or the Universe b10$.

If none of that works out then I dunno, maybe those b10$'s weren't even supported back in the MAME 0.108 - 0.110 days and I would suggest that you seriously consider adding a newer version of MAME to your collection. You'd freak out if you saw the full list of Neo Geo b10$'s I have available in MAMEPlus! 0.134.
:ohmy:

I also considered that , but too troublesome it came out to be and then I quitted.

I have once dl"ed mameuifx 0.140 (latest) and then threw in about 8 games in rom folder to test but the result was... 0 recognized :ouch:

I love and play neogeo games most so I guess I should put some pen and paper next to pc to memo when I get a notable score in dodonpachi ehehh (which I rarely can , best I can do is the level 3 boss on 1 coin) :tongue:

Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

clessx wrote:
I will do that. But as far as I can see I can set home or arcade modes with plus 0.108 , even I dont add any aes b10$ or unibios , is this normal ? it is only a minor difference 108 and 110 I thought but... :huh:

Maybe it was normal for MAME back then. So, are you changing to AES mode with the dipswitch method you spoke about?

Next

Return to MAME Help