How to Record Gameplay Videos in MAMEPlus!

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter
Favorite Game: QBert Ms Pacman

Re: How to Record Gameplay Videos in MAMEPlus!

Post by Thulsa » July 24th, 2011, 9:01 pm

OK where I stand right now.

I deleted the old NVRAM and the clones. Deleting the clones helped the crashing issues. However the playback/record does not recognize the NVRAM at all. I need to initialize the test switch. Which unfortunately does not work while in this mode. So following your steps for this game do not seem to work for me with this game. However I was able to record straight to AVI with no problems.

Well sort of.... I have one issue but I am not sure if this is how it is or I did something wrong. When I play back the avi it is very small kind of like a screen shot of mame. Will this expand once I upload it to youtube? I have no idea since I have 0 editing software. I might have some basic windows stuff I will have to look and see.

So there is my update. Clones bad!
My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.
~Thulsa Doom~

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » July 25th, 2011, 6:05 am

As has been mentioned once or twice before, the playback input to AVI record method won't work for all games. My steps do work for the majority of games. It's your fault for picking a game with so many problems for your first try lol! There are even some games that won't work properly by recording straight to AVI either, eg. Mortal Kombat, which is why I kept a history of my ZD Soft Game Recorder settings for that one - viewtopic.php?p=5976#p5976 - and Defender, as shown in my "How To" vid.

Yes, the AVI that gets made by MAME is based on the game's native resolution, which is usually quite small compared to what you might be used to seeing expanded to full screen. Despite the small dimensions, the AVI will be very high quality and the graphics will look fine even when blown up to full screen, just as they did in the arcade.

Unless you wanna try uploading a massive raw AVI and possibly bump into the file size limit on YouTube, you'll need VirtualDub and the XviD codec (linked in OP) if you want my help getting the vid into shape. You could also do what Elias does sometimes and upload an unlisted or private test vid then lemme take a look at it to analyze any probs before you go public.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » October 28th, 2012, 8:09 pm

Additional:

With some much appreciated help, I've finally managed to write a detailed tutorial about How to Record Netplay Videos in MAME32 Plus! Plus! 0.119.

At last!!! :hooray:

starlingmax
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 3

Post by starlingmax » February 15th, 2014, 9:02 pm

Hi guys, I don't know if this is the right place to be posting this but please feel free to move this post to another place if I'm in the wrong thread.

I'm having problems recording a gameplay...
It is known that some games cannot be recorded with the "playback INP & record AVI output" function... but I'm writing this because I really don't understand what's happening, I've been trying to record a gameplay of "the punisher" and everything works just fine until I reach the third Boss... then the INP file descyncs and I cannot keep recording because the character starts doing random things and obviously dies... But I wonder, why does this happen on the third stage? am I doing something wrong? I already tried erasing the NVRAM but the same happens... Is this normal? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Yeah yeah... sure, no problem.. ehhmmm well... bye...

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » February 16th, 2014, 9:47 pm

Yeah, Max, this is the original gameplay recording thread at MA, so it is the best place to post your question.

I'll have a look at The Punisher for you when I get a chance. What you described does remind me of a time when I was testing a similar problem for someone in Splatterhouse where it doesn't get desynched until much further along than usual, like stage 3 or thereabouts. As I recall it, deleting the nvram before recording did keep the playback synched, though.

starlingmax
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by starlingmax » February 18th, 2014, 2:10 am

Hi Hiero, since erasing the NVRAM helped with Splatterhouse, I'll try recording again now just in case I did something wrong the last time, I'll let you know what happened. I'm hoping that maybe with another MAME version the INP file doesn't descync, but I know I'm asking too much and probably it will change nothing :sad: nevertheless I'll try it. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, thanks a lot for your time and cooperation man. :smile:

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » February 18th, 2014, 2:56 am

If it starts getting too hard you could always use Fraps mate. One click and it's recording. Mess up and want to restart? Click the same button to stop the recording and then click it again. Can require some pretty serious resources though for some games.

starlingmax
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by starlingmax » February 19th, 2014, 2:01 am

Hi Nos, I remember having tried FRAPS on your recommendation before, but my computer is from the stone age, so I think that isn't a suitable option for me, buuuuuut, maybe if I play a little with the options like frame rate and such, I can get it to work, I think I'll try it a second time since this seems to be a dead end, thanks for your input!

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Post by PantherUK » February 19th, 2014, 2:11 am

DxTory is another piece of software like Fraps, I believe it works better on slower machines but I also believe its not freeware...
Ooer... No pictures...

starlingmax
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by starlingmax » March 1st, 2014, 6:14 pm

Hey guys, I finally discovered what I was doing wrong, I thought that you just needed to erase the NVRAM once! so that was my mistake. What I did this time was to erase the NVRAM before recording the INP file, AND before recording the AVI file. I'm pretty sure you guys already knew all of this... My mistake was basically that I didn't read this whole thread properly. Thanks for your for your time guys.
PantherUK wrote:DxTory is another piece of software like Fraps, I believe it works better on slower machines but I also believe its not freeware...
Thanks Panther, I tried this program and it works really well, better than any other asoftware I tried before actually, but not enough to record a gameplay in my computer.