How to Record Gameplay Videos in MAMEPlus!

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Snow Bros.

Re: Recommended Games Discussion

Post by eliaskeme » May 30th, 2011, 8:39 am

Yeah what I'm tryng to understand is which "choice" is the most suitable :confused:

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Re: Recommended Games Discussion

Post by Hierophant » May 31st, 2011, 7:51 am

I just took some time to check out the problem. The MAME .avi that gets output for MSHVSF is 16:9, so when you open it in Vegas with the Multimedia (320x240, 29.970 fps) Project Properties Template, the vid is letterboxed. To remove the black bars you simply scale up the Track Motion Height from 240 to 310 and voila, no more letterboxing. Then when you upload it to YouTube it'll still get pillarboxed, but at least the game graphics will be in good proportion and the vid will be fullscreen height.

For straight gameplay though, I prefer to fix problems like this with VirtualDub. VDub doesn't add motion blur like Vegas does, so therefore, (although VDub's file size will probably be larger than Vegas's), VDub makes the vid movement much sharper. I dunno if you use VDub though, Elias, but it's a very easy matter to fix these kinda basic problems with it. I'll post some test vids soon of the MSHVSF intro rendered with Vegas and Vdub so that you can compare the difference.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: How to Record Gameplay Videos in MAMEPlus!

Post by Hierophant » June 5th, 2011, 12:09 am

OK, first, the Vegas render with the ugly motion blur messing up the movements. :sick:

And then, the VDub render with all the crisp motion of the original. :woot:

amanda88

Post by amanda88 » July 20th, 2011, 10:43 pm

If you want to record your gameplay videos with high quality, you should use some good screen recoreder, which can help you record video of screen with long time. The one I used can help me record everything displayed on my computer screen, and it will go on to record until you stop it. It also can help you save the video as standard video format file, so you can transfer it to your device.

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Post by Incito » July 21st, 2011, 3:37 pm

Most mame32 versions like I have up for download here allows you to do record game play as an avi video file. It can bea large file so I then open it in Movie Maker and save as a wmi which shrinks file size very much. This is the what I do with my Random MAME Game videos. This works for me.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » July 22nd, 2011, 3:30 am

Yeah, the main point of this topic is to show useful ways of internally recording high quality arcade gameplays in MAMEPlus! WITHOUT the need for any screen capturing software. Any secondary screen cap discussion here is for particular games that cause difficulty with the MAMEPlus! recording method.

:ryu:

Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter
Favorite Game: QBert Ms Pacman

Post by Thulsa » July 22nd, 2011, 7:35 am

Master Hiero said I should post my problem :bow: Yes Sense!!!

Trying to record my first video with Mame plus. I found one of my favorite games is nowhere on youtube. So i wanted to record the attract mode first then maybe some game play.

Things worth mentioning. It is a 3d polygon game and requires a CHD. I am using Mame plus 132 or 135 right in there. I don't think it is in the .140 yet I will have to check when I get home.

Following all the steps to record from the INP into an AVI during playing back. I hit OK and Mame+ just crashes no exceptions or errors. It just simply crashes. Every time. It also crashes if I just choose playback without the record option.

Things to note.

Yes all the file paths are correct
The computer has more than enough memory and power to pull off this task.
It is a CHD so i am not sure deleting the Nvram will help and the hour load time is a hindrance. That will be a last resort.
Only thing I can think of is it is a bare bones PC as far as software and may not have the proper player. Does AVi play in Windows Media Player? That is the only thing on there.

Ok have at it! :clapping:
My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.
~Thulsa Doom~

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » July 23rd, 2011, 2:52 am

Hajime! :tongue:

Just to get the easy question outta the way, yes, WMP plays .avi files. As for the rest...

Although it's not the same, the problem you've described reminds me of what happens when you try to Playback Input in the parent version of Street Fighter III 3rd Strike. Whenever you do that, the game behaves as though the nvram is gone. In other words, it wants to write a new CD, which obviously takes ages. If you abort and relaunch the game for normal play it goes back to using the existing nvram, no problems. Like I said in the vid tute, the solution to that is to use the NO CD version of SFIII3S.

When you say that MAMEPlus! crashes, I'm guessing you mean really crashes out completely back to the desktop, right, and not just crashes outta the game and back to the GUI? Are you doing this on your cab or your PC? You know I don't use any fancy front ends so I have no idea if that could be an issue, but hey, it could be worth trying in just MAMEPlus! alone if you haven't already.

I can understand if you're loath to reveal the game name with no one having done it on YouTube yet, but if nothing else helps, you may wanna PM it to me so that I can test it for you in secrecy. If I can solve it then we can publish the details later if necessary, after you got your vid up.

:wink:

Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter
Favorite Game: QBert Ms Pacman

Post by Thulsa » July 23rd, 2011, 8:33 am

First for trying to make the video I use MAME+ and skip over the front end bit. I am following your instructions step for step.

The crash does two things. Either it crashes to my desktop closing Mame + completely or it crashes and just goes back to Mame+

I am using my cabinet which is a lesser machine than my main PC. I am going to try making the movie there if all else fails.

Also there is not a non CHD version like there is for Street Fighter. Could be I need to check a couple things as mame plus might be looking for multiple versions of the nvram file. I have a couple clones that might be getting in the way.

I will fiddle with it tonight and see what I come up with. Also I will try a different game and see if I get the same results.
My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.
~Thulsa Doom~

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » July 23rd, 2011, 7:47 pm

Ah OK, the reason I asked about the nature of the crash situation is that if you pick the wrong inp file by mistake - like say, the inp of a clone and you then launch the parent - MAMEPlus! will open briefly (black screen) then exit straight back to the GUI. As for crashing the GUI itself on a regular basis, I've never encountered that situation before in regular MAMEPlus!, only the infamous playback input to avi record crash in MAME32 Plus! Plus! 0.119 which stymied my efforts to work out an online recording method. I will only be able to verify your GUI crash if you decide to PM me the game name.

Obviously, CPS-3 games aren't the only ones that need to write a large nvram file on first launch. Viper Phase 1 is another such game that springs to mind. It's not a CHD and doesn't write the CD like SFIII3S does, but makes you wait a "moment" while it counts backwards from 999 for the update. The result is the same though; if you try to playback input the game ignores the existing nvram and wants to do a new update instead.

In theory you could still let games like this sit there and do their thing while you make lunch or something and record the update and any following input. The problem with that idea though (apart from wasting time), is that you would need a ton of space for the resulting movie, being that raw AVI averages around 1GB/min. You said that your game takes an hour or so to update which would be about 60GB of useless recording (you'd need to edit it out later) before any attract mode or gameplay takes place. In such cases I would try recording straight to AVI instead and do my best to deal with any lag that may occur.