How to Record Gameplay Videos in MAMEPlus!

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » October 31st, 2009, 12:29 am

EDIT: If you don't feel like wading through this rather large thread, check out my video tutorial - How To Record Arcade Gameplay in MAMEPlus! - for a condensed version of the essential information contained herein.

Here's something really cool for anyone who wants to record best quality gameplay vids in MAMEPlus!.

Up till now I've been using File>Play with Options>Record AVI Output in MAMEPlus! to make my gameplay vids. Doing this creates a massive raw AVI file while playing, which, of course, may cause some lag during play, but doesn't affect the quality of the AVI that gets made. The amount of lag can vary depending on your PC's speed though. Mine was tolerable. I was still able to whip out special moves and stuff so I just put up with it.

Now along comes Elias in PM wanting to make some gameplay vids too. The problem is though, he's getting a huge amount of lag during recording with this method. This gets me thinking. There should be a better way to do this by recording the playback of an input file (.inp), even though there is no specific menu option for this. Here's what I figured out.

Firstly, unlike other GUI MAME's that I've tried before, MAMEPlus! does not come with all the usual folders ready made. MAMEPlus! creates most of them as needed, which is a good thing in one way because you don't have a root directory packed with a lot of folders that may never get used. The downside is it can confuse the hell out of newbies. Anyway, for the purposes of this exercise we need two particular folders in the root directory, inp and snap. Make them if they don't already exist.

Now let's create an input file for a game. I'll use Final Fight as an example. I highlight the game in the Available Arcades list then go File>Play with Options>Record Input. Or another way is to just right click the game in the list and go Record Input. If necessary use the Browse button in the next window (Play window) to locate the inp folder. Either way, once that's done I can see that in the Play window next to Record Input the directory path is set to inp/ffight_000.inp. Now it's time to hit OK and play the game. There is no lag now. I quit out after going through the first stage then check the inp folder and there is a small inp file around 100 KB, ffight_000.inp.

Now let's record the input playback to AVI. I highlight the game again and go File>Play with Options>Playback Input. The inp folder window opens and I choose the ffight_000.inp file that got made before. Now I'm back in the Play window. Here comes the really counter-intuitive part. I can now see a directory path next to Playback Input. That's fine but I need another path next to Record AVI Output at the same time. It's blank though. It's possible to try and type in the correct path but there's an easier way. If I hit the Record AVI Output Browse button here the snap folder window opens up. I simply close that window without doing anything and all of a sudden the correct path, snap/ffight_000.avi, has appeared back in the Play window next to Record AVI Output! Finally I hit OK and MAMEPlus! plays back the input and records to AVI simultaneously. Of course there's some lag on my old P4 while this is happening, but it doesn't matter now because I'm not directly controlling anything in the gameplay.

Once recording of the playback has finished I can quit out of the game and check the snap folder and there is the raw ffight AVI, around 2.8 GB for that stage 1 playthrough. I can now watch it in a media player and bask in the high quality of the recording, or just go straight to a movie making software and edit and downsize the file in preparation for uploading to YouTube.

gl & hf! :V:

Useful Links for Video Processing

VirtualDub - http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtual ... =directory
XviD Codec - https://www.xvid.com/download/

eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Snow Bros.

Re: How to Record Gameplay Videos in MAMEPlus!

Post by eliaskeme » October 31st, 2009, 12:06 pm

Well that helps me a lot. You see I had a record AVI button in controller and I was recording the game like this, not like you described. That was my problem. But I find another problem. In my MSHVSF input when I want to playback the inp file since my enemies change the whole move thing get screwed up. Apparently I should record a game where everything is settled in just one way (like the 2.5Ds and the shooter/flying games).

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » October 31st, 2009, 10:25 pm

OK bro, I'll need some time to look into it. I only figured out this new method yesterday so I haven't had much time to do testing of different games.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » October 31st, 2009, 11:52 pm

Well, I just did a quick test with MSHVSF and I can't replicate the problem. I made an inp file with three consecutive matches. I played it back 10 times and it was 100% identical in opponent sequence and gameplay each time. Recording the playback to AVI didn't make any difference either. It all works perfectly for me so far.

Are you absolutely sure you followed my instructions to the letter? Has anyone else experienced this problem, ie. playing back an inp file in a versus fighter and getting different sets of opponents from what was in the original recorded input?

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » November 1st, 2009, 1:55 am

Thanks a lot for trying all this stuff out Hiero mate.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » November 1st, 2009, 7:05 am

Cheers Nos! :woot:

An intriguing thing about this, it gave me the idea that it might be possible to make an inp file from our online gameplay. If it works we could have 2 player vids of us kickin' butt for some of those game reviews like Vendetta.

eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by eliaskeme » November 1st, 2009, 10:21 am

Hierophant wrote:Are you absolutely sure you followed my instructions to the letter ??
Of course I did. Besides if you check my profile on YouTube you will see that I uploaded a Cabal and a Captain Commando gameplay video. But you know what mate ?? I just realised something. Even if you record input for 2 seconds and then playback input for more than that the AVI video will last the time you played. So I think I will do a MSHVSF video like this :smile:

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » November 1st, 2009, 12:01 pm

Hierophant wrote:Cheers Nos! :woot:

An intriguing thing about this, it gave me the idea that it might be possible to make an inp file from our online gameplay. If it works we could have 2 player vids of us kickin' butt for some of those game reviews like Vendetta.
Sounds good man. Yeah thanks a lot for figuring this stuff out, I know I haven't really gotten into the whole recording mame thing yet but you are making it a lot more comfortable for newbies like myself to check it out and have some fun with it :smile:

And now that I'm using vegas etc I'll be able to do all kinds of stuff with the footage like slow down Ryu's vaccum punch, etc etc :smile:

Elias you should stop asking questions for a while and thank Heiro :friends: The amount of time he has spent on figuring this stuff out is massive :V:

eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by eliaskeme » November 1st, 2009, 12:45 pm

Nos I have already said thanks to Hiero and stopped the questions (if you noticed) .

eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by eliaskeme » November 1st, 2009, 12:52 pm

Check out my Captain Commando gameplay vid: