My Recommended MAME Games

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure : Capcom, 1999

Post by Hierophant » February 5th, 2012, 1:35 am

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Heritage for the Future

Capcom, 1999, Fighter / Versus

Note: The parent version of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Heritage for the Future (JBA) is JoJo no Kimyouna Bouken: Miraie no Isan. However, since the English clone is Euro NO CD, the parent is not required to run it in MAME anyway. Also worth noting; JBA is an upgrade of the 1998 original, Jojo's Venture.

Listen up, fight fans! Are you ready to delve into a versus fighter that's far removed from the typical mainstream stuff that you've already played hundreds or thousands of times before? Then prepare to enter the absurdly beautiful world of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure!

At the Mode Select screen you can choose between Challenge, which is like a Survival Mode, or Story for the standard game.

JBA is based on the enduring manga by Hirohiko Araki, and as such, the game has quite a deep and intriguing story compared to the usual efforts in this genre. The unique "Stand" concept of the manga also plays a significant role in the game. A character's Stand is a powerful psychic manifestation that takes many forms between the individual characters. For example, Mohammed Avdol's Stand, Magician's Red, resembles the eagle-headed god of Ancient Egyptian mythology, Horus, and has many flame-based attacks such as shooting fiery ankhs. Noriaki Kakyoin's Stand, Hierophant Green (heh heh... my namesake :P) appears to be a slender yet powerful android equipped with many strange abilities, including laying traps, constriction, and firing deadly streams of emeralds (Noriaki Kakyoin and Hierophant Green are featured in my gameplay demo at the end of this article). It's interesting to note that a lot of Stand names are taken from the major arcana of the tarot. Many characters also have names that reference popular culture, eg. Iggy (Iggy Pop), Dio Brando (Ronnie James Dio and Marlon Brando), Robber Soul (Rubber Soul is a Beatles album), etc. Oddly enough, there is no character named Jojo in JBA; rather, Jojo refers to the doubling of the letters "j" and "o" together in the names of the main heroes, Jotaro Kujo, and his father, Joseph Joestar.

The manga influence is apparent at the Character Select screen with the fighters laid out in comic book style.

Image Image
The game's story is illustrated with many cool scenes.

As with the Street Fighter III series (SFIII), JBA was one of the few games ever produced for Capcom's CPS-3 hardware, providing for superb sound and fluid animation. Incidentally, JBA was created by the SFIII development team. Also, probably due to its relative obscurity, people often mistakenly believe that JBA is a Guilty Gear rip-off. However, the original games both appeared almost simultaneously in 1998, in what was perhaps a coincidental convergence of styles.

With its superior combo mechanics, the gameplay system in JBA is a cut above many other versus fighters. The addition of the Stand system can only push the player's enjoyment further beyond the norm by allowing for extra attack variations, including the creation of customizable Tandem Attack combos. When a Tandem Attack is activated, you have a limited hold time in which to input any joystick motions and button presses that you desire, after which your Stand will execute the inputs while you can use your main character in tandem to inflict all sorts of added chaos on your opponent. The best tactic is to get your main character behind the enemy as quickly as possible, leaving them in an extremely untenable position as you and your Stand beat them unmercifully from both sides. Cool! With a range of advanced combo shenanigans and plenty of crazy characters to master, JBA really is an unconventional and thrilling fighting game.

D'Bo is one creepy dude!

Image Image
This is how I deal with criminals!

The plot thickens...

I can still remember the strangely surreal feeling of playing JBA in arcades for the first time. The notion of characters who can release their inner gods (or demons) at will, along with the emotionally exaggerated super moves and the warped perspectives in some stages, gave JBA a certain psychotic atmosphere that was rare for the genre. When the excellent PSX port came out with the exclusive Super Story Mode, the psycho-funtimes could continue for me at home; while nowadays, thanks to MAME and Kaillera, the violent lunacy of JBA can be enjoyed online to the delight of fellow connoisseurs of grandiose hand-to-hand, Stand-to-Stand combat!

Many surprises lay in store for dedicated players. Once in a while, opposing Stands may clash head on, lighting up the screen with awesomeness!

My JoJo's Bizarre Adventure gameplay vid, featuring Noriaki Kakyoin in action alongside his Stand, Hierophant Green.

Jump to Index

eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Snow Bros.

Sunset Riders : Konami, 1991

Post by eliaskeme » February 13th, 2012, 9:38 am

Sunset Riders

Konami, 1991, Platform / Shooter Scrolling

2 days ago I saw a dream where Lucky Luke approached me and said "I demand you to make a review about my favourite Wild-West arcade game, Sunset Riders". And since I am a Lucky Luke fan I couldn't say no to the lonesome cowboy so here we go.

Info: In this game you choose one of the 4 available cowboys and your goal is to get rewards by killing all the wanted criminals each stage has. Keep in mind that this game has 2 versions, one has 4 players per slot (Player 1 has Steve, Player 2 has Billy, Player 3 has Bob and Player 4 has Cormano) and there is the other one with 2 players where you select the one you wish to control:

Image Image

So as I said you have to choose between 4 cowboys. The first 2 (Steve & Billy) carry guns while the other 2 (Bob & Cormano) carry rifles. At this point it is very common to select one of the riflemen since their shots are split but the gunners' shots are quicker. So after you picked the cowboy you want it's shootin' time !! And if you think that the game would leave you with just your gun or rifle to get rid of all these outlaws you are wrong !!! There are 2 power-ups in this game, the "automatic magazine" as I call it and the "double-guns/rifles". This is the automatic magazine:

Image Image

Once you got it, just keep pressing the fire button. The gun/rifle will never stop firing (in the beginning you must press the fire button in order to shoot 1 bullet/shell) !!! Now it's time for the double-gun/rifle power-up:

Image Image
"You know what they say, 2 heads are better than 1..."

The name of the power-up says it all: you carry 2 guns/rifles instead of one so now you fire twice with every shot. And yeah once you get both the power-ups you become an unstoppable killing machine !!! Oh and tell me how is it possible for a game to represent Wild West without some horse riding ??

Image Image
"What are YOU looking at ??"

Advantages: This is a very nice and at the same time funny game. If you play it you will see exactly what I mean with the word "funny". And because it is a 4-player game you can have fun with friends too.

Disadvantages: In the beginning it is quite easy to proceed but as you go through the next stages you'll see that things are getting tougher and tougher. Oh and after you kill the final boss don't assume that you've completed the game. It starts again (you have the score you had when you finished it) but it gets more difficult. An example here would be a boss who is throwing knives: the first time you meet him he throws 3, the second time he throws 5 !!! And keep in mind that dodging the 3 knives is hard...

Additional Info: After some stages there are the Bonus Stages. In these stages there are evil cowboys coming out from different places on the screen and you have to kill as many as possible. You get points for ever kill so make sure you leave no one alive !!! However, all players participate so you must be very fast to notice AND kill them:

Image Image

You have no idea how much fun (and swearing) my 2 friends and I had last time playing these bonus stages !!! Of course I remembered most of the places they are spawning so I killed them once they appeared...which made my friends VERY furious and they started yelling at me !!!

Snapshots: Here are some snapshots I got while I was playing:

Image Image
"Give me a break, I can easily handle a couple of bulls !! What the..? RUN !!!"

Image Image
Image Image
"Sorry pal but there can only be 1 Mexican here, and that's ME !! Yeah and I'll take that sombrero as well !!

Videos: This is my Sunset Riders gameplay video:

Jump to Index
Last edited by eliaskeme on November 17th, 2016, 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Dragon Blaze : Psikyo, 2000

Post by Hierophant » August 27th, 2012, 3:53 am

Dragon Blaze

Psikyo, 2000, Shooter / Flying Vertical

Whenever you feel like taking a break from the huge array of space/air force type shooters in MAME, but still feel like shooting up hordes of enemies, it's nice to know that there are some other good variations on the theme. Fantasy shoot 'em up extraordinaire, Dragon Blaze (DB), is one such game.

Feel the wrath of my flames, oh dragon lord!

Being that DB was completely unknown to me until I got into MAME, I would place it in my "hidden gem" category of arcade games; and what a shiny gem it is! Psikyo's promotional material describes the game as having "Extremely beautiful graphics enhanced from the 3-D models." While I can only imagine what was involved in their rendering process, the results speak for themselves. Not only are the graphics in DB spectacular, they impart a special impression of solidity that's uncommon in 2D arcade games of this type. Once you've played through environments like the Woodland or Ocean stages you'll have experienced that sensation for yourself.

Hurrah, chaps, I'm going to be rich!

Four dragon riders and their steeds, designed by manga artist, Kouji Ogata, await your selection. Each duo has a varied set of abilities, so have fun trying them all to see which one best suits your play style.

Image Image
Image Image
Show your mettle with these marvellous characters.

The DB instruction sheet gives a nice overview of the game's excellent control functions.

DB offers quite the challenge for hardcore shooter fans. You'll encounter increasingly hellish sprays of bullets as you progress through the stages. Despite the high level of difficulty, shmup novices may still find the game appealing due to it's painterly visuals, mythical music, flexible control scheme, and fast-paced action. DB has that "just one more go" quality that often has me playing on, even after "just one more go" happened ten turns ago!

"The legend of dragons begins now!!"

Me thunder magic'll fry this 'ere goblin mech army!

Oh lowly creatures, bow down before the might of my dark arts!

My Dragon Blaze gameplay vid.

Jump to Index

ChameleonAlpha
Guru Extreme
Guru Extreme
Favorite Game: KOF 96

Football Champ : Taito Corporation Japan, 1990

Post by ChameleonAlpha » January 19th, 2013, 9:48 am

Football Champ

Taito Corporation Japan, 1990, Sports / Soccer

Also known as Euro Champ '92 and Hat Trick Hero.

This is one of the first (if not the first) arcade football games. A sort of rivalry started later with SNK when the latter released Super Sidekicks.

The gameplay of the game is as simple as it gets. You have a shoot button and a pass button when you have the ball. When you don't, however, the shoot button becomes a slide button and the pass button becomes a "knee to the spine" button. But watch out! If the referee is on screen when you commit a foul, you'll get a yellow card and eventually a red card (you can knock out the referee if you want to).
:boxing:

You should try it out. It doesn't matter if you like football games or not. I don't, and I definitely enjoy this game.

Some mad skills right here.

When you make a goal and you hear that glorious jingle, it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy.

Some gameplay from YouTube:

Jump to Index

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

The Super Spy : SNK, 1990

Post by Incito » March 9th, 2013, 10:37 pm

The Super Spy

SNK, 1990, Fighter / Misc.

I found The Super Spy by mere accident when I happen to glance at my arcade machine when GameEx was running the “Screen Saver” which is when it picks random games and plays them on a set interval. Immediately I noticed the similarity with a game called “Crossed Swords”, also by Neo Geo. As a fan of that game I decided to give this game a go.

The Super Spy is truly original in the sense that not only is it a First Person Beat ’em Up, but a First Person shooter as well. To make it even more intriguing, there is an RPG style to it! Each baddy you eliminate earns you EXP points. These points then help you level up.

-- GAME PLAY – :boxing:

HUD:

This will show your current weapon select, Energy, Exp point, Your current Level with Attack and Defense power, and two direction arrows that shows you the directions you can move. There is also a blue box on the top left. This shows you the remaining ammo count.

Movement:

Movement is simple. You will move either left or right most of the time. Sometimes you will be prompted to go forward, which is a joy movement up. You are prompted with an arrow as to which direction you are supposed to go like in Final Fight. But unlike Final Fight, you have free movement to stay where you are at and let the baddies keep coming, or move forward even if there is an enemy there. However, running away prevents you from levelling which means certain death if you face a Boss and you are not strong enough.

Offense:

Fist

The A button is for punches, and can be used to throw right hooks by pushing the stick diagonal-up either way and punch. A punch combination is done by tapping A repeatedly and a strong punch is done by holding down the A button then releasing it.

Kicks and Knee Smash

B button is used for kicks and knee smashes. Players can also pistol-whip enemies, if the B button is pressed while armed with the pistol/machine gun.

Other weapons include ....

Knife :Chainsaw:

Gun :headshoot:

Uzi

Note: These are the only ones I have unlocked and there could be more?

Defense:

Blocking

Blocking is done by holding A and B correspondingly, right before the enemy attacks. Ducking is done by simply holding down. However if punch or kick is pressed while ducking, then an uppercut or a knee smash will be executed.

Players can bob and weave, duck, and block, and sidestep enemies' attacks and deliver stronger blows. Alongside the martial arts expertise, the weapons of choice are a knife (which becomes rusty and dull with use), brass knuckles (which upgrades fists), a pistol, and an occasional machine gun.

Getting good with the above defense would prove valuable back in the day when the game cost money.
When you are hit, you will see a flash of red and some of your energy depletes.

Some enemy attacks do more damage than others.
I really like the variety of attacks the enemy can use. They have low attacks, high attacks, and they fight dirty! Some bad guys throw a net at you while others gouge your eyes. This really keeps you on your toes and prevents the game from getting dull.

This game has so many factors that make it a real joy. One such is that fact that your gun causes area damage if you miss!

Some information came from the Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Super_Spy

Trivia! :confused:
A few rooms in the game feature a G-Mantle poster hanging on the wall. This character was later used as Striker character in King of Fighters 2000.
:woot:

Jump to Index

sneekyweezel

Wardner : Taito Corporation Japan, 1987

Post by sneekyweezel » August 19th, 2013, 7:06 am

Wardner

Taito Corporation Japan, 1987, Platform / Fighter scrolling

This is one of the many arcade coin-op games which graced us with its presence in many pizza parlors in the U.S. in the 1980s.

Image Image

In Wardner you and your girlfriend are having a casual outing in the woods when she is kidnapped and taken off to Mr. Wardner, the evil wizard, after she is turned into a crystal ball. You strike out to rescue her from his clutches, and along the way acquire many helpful items to aid you in your quest, such as a magic cape to give you an extra boost against the foes, a more powerful fireball, or even a better sword.

Image Image

As you head to the castle for the ultimate showdown with the twisted old man, you use the map to see your location which is resembling a Ghost and Goblins type of world, so you know how far in you are. There is also a magic fairy to help you, and a shop to buy items at the end of the level. This game was ported to the Sega Genesis, but the coin op version has better graphics and smoother game play.

If you missed Wardner, then give it a try today- it's very fun and awesomely challenging!

Jump to Index

sneekyweezel

Bad Dudes vs. Dragonninja : Data East USA, 1988

Post by sneekyweezel » August 19th, 2013, 7:11 am

Bad Dudes vs. Dragonninja

Data East USA, 1988, Platform / Fighter Scrolling

One of the great classic arcade games of the 1980s was Bad Dudes vs. Dragonninja, and was seen in many pizza parlors and bowling alleys everywhere.

Basically the plot goes down as the president of the United States has been kidnapped by the evil "Ninja" clan, and the secret service hires you to go get him back. In the arcade you control one of two players, either Striker or Blade, two martial arts trained "Bad Dudes", and will play through many stages to retrieve the president.

Image Image

Progressing through the levels you will find different weapons to aid you against the countless merciless thugs which will try to stop you at all costs, from red and blue ninja to even Karnov? Yes Karnov seems to make a cameo appearance but no one seems to know why he's on the bad side now. You can pick up nunchucks and a dagger and also cans of cola and clocks for health and extra time.

The game was so popular it was ported to the Nintendo Entertainment system, Famicom, and PC, but the graphics and gameplay were much smoother in the coin-op. If you really loved this game like I did, and missed it or just got tired of pumping in those countless quarters to play Bad Dudes vs. Dragonninja, then why not play it today?

Jump to Index

sneekyweezel

Moon Patrol : Irem, 1982

Post by sneekyweezel » August 19th, 2013, 7:14 am

Moon Patrol

Irem, 1982, Shooter / Driving Horizontal

For anyone not old enough to remember this game, you're in for a real treat! It's Moon Patrol, the great 1982 classic that was in all the arcades and hang outs. You drive across the moon in a "moon buggy", jumping over craters and various obstacles like mines and moon rocks, while racing to the next area.

Image Image

The further into the levels you go, you have to face a horde of evil flying ships overhead that drop bombs down on top of you, and some make dangerous craters in your path to destroy your buggy. Later you face tanks and rocket ship cars from behind, all while trying to get the best score while getting to the goal as fast as you can!

Image Image

The game was ported to many different systems, including the great Atari 2600 and Commodore, but the gameplay and graphics were unmatched in the coin-op version. Why not play Moon Patrol today, and see if you got what it takes to take back the moon?

Jump to Index

sneekyweezel

Ninja Spirit : Irem, 1988

Post by sneekyweezel » August 19th, 2013, 7:18 am

Ninja Spirit

Irem, 1988, Fighter 2D

Every now and then while researching Mame games I come across one that must not be missed, and Ninja Spirit fits that bill to a "T". You play the role of a warrior who fights through the levels with different weaponry, a sword, shuriken (throwing stars), bombs that are thrown at enemies, and the kurigama (sickle and chain).

Image Image

As you progress through the stages, you obtain power-ups that make you increase in strength. There are various ones to pick up, like a cloning type of shadow that follows you, kind of like the clones you pick up in "Ninja Gaiden 2" the Dark Sword Of Chaos. There are also power-ups to change your weapons into more powerful versions of themselves, and you're going to need them because you have to face off against a boss at the end of the level!

Image Image

These kind of games were the reason I lived for arcades in the 1980s, so don't miss out on Ninja Spirit!

My Ninja Spirit gameplay video:

Jump to Index

sneekyweezel

Crime Fighters : Konami, 1989

Post by sneekyweezel » August 19th, 2013, 7:22 am

Crime Fighters

Konami, 1989, Fighter/2.5 D

Let's take a look at one of the great beat ‘em ups of the 1980s, it's Crime Fighters and it rules!

Image Image

The story is basically a group of girls have been kidnapped (or girlnapped) and the city or whoever has hired you to go get them from the criminals. So it's to the streets to clean up the town and find them. Now the game has some signature moves which really come in handy when dealing with these punks, and there are a lot of them.

Image Image

You can crescent kick and roundhouse, throw punches, and in some versions of the game (there was a four player and two player arcade) you can do a "back" kick, as well as kick the enemy when he's laying on the ground. You can also do a jumping knee, and a hair pull, as well as an over the shoulder "judo" throw.

Image Image

There are many weapons to pick up from downed punks as well in the city. You will find a knife, a stick (crowbar) and gun in the later levels. Also be ready to face a real boss "baddie" at the end of the stage, and some big "brutes" as well. Crime Fighters is by far one of the best beat ‘em up style games of it's time, standing next to Final Fight as one of the greatest! I had a buddy in those days and we used to take the bus to the arcade to play it- don't miss this game!

My Crime Fighters gameplay video:

Jump to Index