My Recommended MAME Games

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Snow Bros.

Undercover Cops : Irem, 1992

Post by eliaskeme » December 13th, 2009, 10:56 am

Undercover Cops

Irem, 1992, Fighter / 2.5D

A beat 'em up game where you have to clean a city from Dr. Clayborn and his henchmen.

Info: If you visit Arcade History you will find out that the game's history is this: "Dr. Clayborn and his henchmen have taken control of the city and Commissioner Gordon (no, Batman is not in the game) made one last plea for help and called three of New York's Finest undercover cops: Bubba, an ex-professional football player; Flame, a former Miss America; and Claude, a retired philosophy teacher. They must fight every lackey and vanquish Dr. Clayborn in order to restore law and order to the city." Here is a picture of the characters:

In this game you can get any kind of weapon you can imagine: fish, boxes, rocks, even cars and motorcycles:

Image Image
"I should retire from football and take up powerlifting..."

Occasionally you will find some pillars that have stuck in the ground. Pick them up and then start attacking your enemies. You can also throw these pillars at them:

Image Image
Image Image

Advantages: The game plot, the landscape, the characters as well as the music that is heard during the gameplay.

Disadvantages: You will have some hard time at certain stages. And that's because you will find Cue Balls that keep throwing you at places that kill you immediately.

Additional Info: Apart from the World version, there is also a Japanese one. The are some differences here. The first one is that the names of the characters have changed:

Another difference is that the characters have more moves, including Super Moves:

Image Image
"WOW !! That's definitely gotta hurt !!"

Well, it is obvious that the Japanese version is far better than the World one.

Snapshots: Here are some pictures of what is going on when you face the 1st boss, Cue Ball:

Image Image
"I knew this crusher would be useful..."

Videos: Here is my Undercover Cops gameplay video.

Jump to Index
Last edited by eliaskeme on November 26th, 2016, 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Galaga : Namco, 1981

Post by Hierophant » December 16th, 2009, 7:43 am

Galaga

Namco, 1981, Shooter / Gallery

Take the concept of Taito's Space Invaders, advance it with Galaxian and what do you get next? Why, the immortal retro classic, Galaga, of course! Galaga is in fact the sequel to Namco's 1979 hit, Galaxian. While Galaga didn't sell as many units for Namco as Galaxian did, as a game it was an improvement in every conceivable way. I would even go so far as to say that Galaga is a space shooter masterpiece that's still as much fun to play today as it was back then!

Image Image Image

Sound, graphics, gameplay: everything about Galaga is just so appealing. As well as making what interlude music there is more memorable, the lack of music during stages actually serves to heighten the players concentration on the task at hand, which is destroying as many swarms of enemies as you can, for as many points as you can, for as long as possible. This sparse use of music shows that less really can be more sometimes, and also emphasises the game's brilliantly spacey sound effects. The colourful graphics, which were great for their day, still have a timeless, universal charm. There's something mesmerising about the way the insectoid alien convoys swoop gracefully into formation. Galaga's gameplay is super tight. The challenge amps up beautifully as you progress through each stage. The bonus stages provide welcome relief from the ever intensifying action, as well as a chance to score big points. Although Galaga hails from a simpler time, points do more than just look good next to your initials in the galactic hero rankings. Extra lives are awarded at set score increments. As there are no continues, skilful players will be grabbing up as many points as they can to keep that credit alive in pursuit of a high score. There are no powerups in the traditional sense here either, it's all about being a dead eye shot. However, Galaga does incorporate a very innovative gameplay technique that gives the player a chance to double their firepower at the risk of losing a life, as demonstrated later in my vid.

Image Image Image

In an early arcade era that was still struggling with the hardware limitations of the time, plot was a very minor consideration for most games. Whatever story is behind Galaga's conflict seems to take place mostly in the player's imagination. All you really know is that your space fighter is guarding against an alien threat; when, where, and why is up to you.

If you're the kind of person who usually baulks at the thought of playing the old school games, then I urge you to think again and give Galaga a try. It represents a unique time of innocence and creativity in gaming that will never come again, when many young developers were making bold strides into a new form of entertainment. Galaga is a triumph of game design genuinely worthy of the title, legendary arcade classic!

My Galaga gameplay vid. I tried a new idea this time where I put the gameplay inside the game's artwork.

Please enjoy.

Jump to Index

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Terminator 2 - Judgment Day : Midway, 1991

Post by Nostalgia » December 24th, 2009, 1:57 pm

Terminator 2 - Judgment Day

Midway, 1991, Shooter / Gun

This game works great with a mouse so don't worry if you don't have a light gun.

T2 has always been my absolute favourite movie and it's regarded by many to be one of the best sequels of all time. This is a movie that has EVERYTHING except the one thing that people like me don't need in a film or video game. That one thing is romance!

As with all light gun games, this game is pretty much just as much fun with a friend as it is by yourself. Unfortunately Hiero and I had trouble with getting it working properly online but if we figure it out then I'll edit this review with details of what you need to do.

T2 was quite epic at the arcades. Everyone loved it. Check it out:

If it's good enough for a T-800 to play, then it's good enough for me.

T2 follows the basic plot of the film, but it gets a little loose so as to allow for levels that contain scenes that aren't in the movie. Basically just more opportunities to blow stuff up. Fine by me.

T2 is quite a challenging game for two reasons. Firstly because rather than just relying on your aim and reaction times like a lot of other light gun games (Virtua Cop and Lethal Enforcers come to mind), T2 requires constant firepower to compete with the massive amount of enemies that you face. The problem with this is, your firepower rapidly decreases when you hold your finger on the trigger for too long. When it gets too low, you're basically a dead man walking.

There are many different power-ups in the game to help you with this, such as items that refill the speed of your gunfire and smart bombs which destroy everything on the screen. I should mention that when you use a smart bomb, a nice little report pops up on the screen afterwards showing the damage you caused. Very cool, and not the only thing in the game that gives you on-screen reports.

It's vitally important to collect these power-ups whenever you can because without them you're either going to need Bill Gates' wallet, or..... Bill Gates' wallet.

Secondly, there are two 'VIP' stages in the game where if you're not concentrating hard enough or just don't have the skill, you will not be able to protect the people/vehicles that need protection. Whenever they are destroyed, so is one credit.

You can pump as many credits as you want into this game, but when you fail these 'VIP' missions, you get sent back to the start of the mission. It never really gets annoying though because these missions are short and simply require you to concentrate a bit harder on what you're doing.

T2 is 6 stages long and includes various missions such as helping your fellow men in the epic fight against the machines (which come in many different forms), all the way to holding the T-1000 back in his helicopter/van so that he can't catch up to and kill John Connor. Most of your time however will be spent destroying many waves of basic enemies.

MANY many waves :mellow:

Here are some screenshots of me playing what is one of the best light gun games ever made. Enjoy.

Who? Oh John Connor? Sorry, no idea where he is...

Jump to Index

eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Wonder Boy : Sega (Escape Licence), 1986

Post by eliaskeme » December 25th, 2009, 5:43 am

Wonder Boy

Sega (Escape Licence), 1986, Platform / Shooter Scrolling

Info: If you visit Arcade History you will see that the game's history is this: "A little boy ventures through Wonderland in this horizontally scrolling game. There are 4 areas, each with 4 levels and end bosses. Walking and jumping depletes your energy so you must eat food found along the way". In Wonderland however, there are certain little monsters that you have to beat in order to proceed. You can do that after you have acquired the throwing hammer:

Image Image
It's hammerin' time !!!

In this game you may walk, but if you find the skateboard you will move faster:

Image Image

WARNING: You have to know that with the skateboard you will go ONLY forwards. If you try to go backwards the only thing you will achieve is to decrease your speed. Another power-up is the guardian angel. By obtaining it you will be able to touch monsters and flames without losing any lives:

During the gameplay you will find some dolls that will add bonus point after the end of each area:

You can extend your lives by earning points as well as by getting one letter in each area in order to get the 1UP in the final area. You should know that these letters as well as the 1UP are hidden and you have to hit the ground in order to find them:

Image Image

Advantages: Very funny game, you will have a great time playing it.

Disadvantages: You have to be a pro and know the exact places of the dolls or you will never be able to face the final boss.

Videos: Here is my Wonder Boy gameplay video.

Jump to Index
Last edited by eliaskeme on November 14th, 2016, 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: X-Men

X-Men : Konami, 1992

Post by Seraph » January 27th, 2010, 5:22 am

X-Men

Konami, 1992, Fighter / 2.5D

ImageImage

Abstract:

This is my first review and to my amazement I still get to review my favorite game on the arcade... X-Men! This review is also my tribute to Stan Lee, Marvel Comics, and Konami. I'm a huge Marvel collector and fan; and Konami introduced me to video games (through the CastleVania Series) and is one of three (all tied) for my favorite video game company. For those that want to know the other two stay tuned for my next few reviews.

Plot:

According to the Arcade History, "X-Men is based upon the comic book series of the same name (most of the game's plot is loosely based on the 1989 X-Men cartoon called 'Pryde Of The X-Men')." I own Pryde Of The X-Men on VHS and recently bought it on DVD, so if you are a fan of this game then check it out.

Anyway, you have to attack, jump and use your mutant powers to progress through seven levels (if you don't count the last boss as one level) to restore peace between humans and mutants. One thing I wanted to point out is that like many arcade games, unless you had one life bar remaining, you lose life by using your mutant powers.

Nerd alert! Although some of you may think this doesn't make sense, mutants such as the X-Men were sometimes shown in a weakened state after using their mutant power. It is also disappointing to some that Wolverine can't heal, but then where is the challenge in that?

Characters:

ImageImage

The character selection screen (above) is shown in six-player mode to show the perspective of what characters you MUST control according to the player number you choose.

Gameplay:

ImageImage

Gameplay differs between the four-player (above) and six-player versions (below). The four-player version is the typical full-screen arcade with the ability to select any character at any point in the game, unless that character is already taken by another player.

ImageImage

In MAME, it is unfortunate that the wide-screen is split up, so unless someone knows something I don't, you MAY want to stick with the four player version unless you have +4 players. Don't get me wrong if I could choose my dream arcade, it would be the X-Men six-player cabinet, even though I like to be able to switch my character mid-game.

Controls:

There are three buttons: attack, jump, and special. The attacks change by combining attacks with directional moves and attacks with the jump button. Moves also vary depending on the location of a nearby enemy (direction and the proximity with respect to your character). To add on to my last comment, yep you can even beat them while their down (screenshot below). YES!

Also, in many games similar to X-Men, you can change the direction of your jump in mid-air. However, in this game you can only jump from side to side; and your jump depends on the direction you are facing, unless you use the attack button with the opposite direction.

Please check out the gameplay video below!

Overview:

Although Capcom holds the Marvel dominance title at the arcade (with their continuing series of fighting games); this one of Konami's greatest achievements. Not only is it highly recommended by me, it deserves a sequel or at the very least a placement on a game console! I don't know who dropped the ball on that one, because it's regarded by many as one of the greatest video games of all time... that's right look it up. :hehe:

Greatest Memory of X-Men:

I was nine at the time and my brother, best friends, and I beat this game together at the local arcade before we watched Home Alone 2 at the theater next door. It took quite a few quarters back then since we could not resist using our powers.

X-Men Trivia from Arcade History:

In Nightcrawler's ranking screen, his name is misspelled as 'Nightcrowler'.

Although "Final Fight" set the standard for scrolling fighters. Konami's X-Men created several innovations for the genre, including the ability to hit fallen opponents to prevent them from getting back up, as well as a character-specialized 'mutant power', which could clear the screen of enemies, but also reduced the player's health.

Bill Toups holds the official official record for this game with 830 points on 06/11/2004.

Jump to Index

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Defender : Willams, 1980

Post by Hierophant » January 27th, 2010, 6:45 am

Defender

Williams, 1980, Shooter / Flying Horizontal

When you think "arcade classic" there are several titles that immediately spring to mind. Defender is one of those names. Noteworthy for having great audio visuals in it's day, Defender is also still regarded as one of the most challenging arcade games ever designed. Arcade History states:

"Along with Namco's seminal "Pac-Man", Defender shares the title of 'Highest Grossing Video Game of All Time' and to date has earned more than one billion dollars. It's interesting to note that when the now-legendary shoot-em-up was first shown at a 1981 Chicago arcade machine trade show, it was deemed to be a flop due to its high level of difficulty. Arcade industry insiders confidently predicted that both Defender and "Pac-Man" would be commercial flops and that Namco's "Rally X" would be the next major arcade success."

Whoa, one BILLION dollars! So much for the foresight of those industry insiders. I don't know how Rally X ended up doing (I'd never even heard of it before), but they couldn't have been more wrong about Pac-Man and Defender!

Image Image

Defender is one of the earliest examples of a game to use scrolling graphics to effectively create its own expanded world. The main screen shows your immediate surroundings while the scanner shows an additional overview of the entire playfield. You'll be constantly glancing back and forth between the scanner and the main screen to plan and execute your strategies. Unlike most flying shooters, which automatically scroll in a set direction at a certain speed, Defender gives you control of where to go and how fast to get there. Looking at the game's comparatively simplistic graphics today, it would be easy to underestimate the impact of these technological achievements. In the early 80s though, the influence of Defender's huge success and it's technical innovations spurred many developers to expand their repertoire into more intricate game designs.

The game's title calls to mind a core gameplay element that commends Defender to players. Part of your mission is to protect stranded astronauts from alien landers. Failure to do so only makes your job harder as a captured human will eventually get mutated with the lander into a fierce attacker. Saving humans from this fate is also worth a lot to your score, as is having as many survivors as possible at the end of each attack wave. However, if all humans are captured the planet explodes and you're thrown into a vicious struggle for your own survival against a squadron of crazed aliens.

Another factor that adds to Defender's difficulty, apart from it's complex control scheme and layered gameplay, is a complete lack of continues. Only the most hardcore gamers need apply! Are you up for the challenge?

Image Image

Jump to Index

Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter
Favorite Game: QBert Ms Pacman

Q*bert : Gottlieb, 1982

Post by Thulsa » January 30th, 2010, 8:35 pm

Q*bert

Gottlieb, 1982, Platform / Run Jump

Set name: qbert

ImageImage

Webster's Dictionary defines a Q*bert as ..... hmmm... Well never mind that, it doesn't really say anything about who or what a Q*bert is. If you believe the opening to the 80's American cartoon Q*bert's name is derived from the Q in Cube. That is about as far as anyone got explaining the origin of Q*bert.

Q*bert from the start was different to say the least. Even the controls on the cabinet were different. Instead of the standard up, down, left, right you have diagonal controls. Up Left, Up Right, Down Left, and Down Right. Not only did Q*bert have messed up controls but the cute little orange guy swore. Even though it was censored it is still funny and the first game I can think of where profanity was added.

Q*bert was one of the many video games to come out of the Golden Age and survive the test of time. It was not only ported to the Atari, Commodore, NES and more it has been ported to such recent devices like the iPhone and iTouch. Proving that an indefinable ball of Orange fur with eyes and a big nose is just completely awesome!

Control Panel and cabinet with diagonal controls:

Image Image

Some people say Pac-Man or Donkey Kong is their favorite or maybe even Defender. Everyone has their own first love in the video game world. Since 1982 mine has always been Q*bert. Q*bert's game play like many games from the 80's looks simple. Jump on the cubes to change there color. If only it were that easy. Along the way you encounter a variety of obstacles. You start with Red Whammy balls followed by Coily the Snake who like a heat seeking missile chases Q*Bert across the game board. In the later stages you are joined by Ugg and Wrong Way. They are nasty little critters that scroll across either the bottom left or bottom right of the cubes until they work themselves off the game board. Next are Slick and Sam, unlike other Enemies these are colored green which means you can stop their rampage. In most cases this is a must in later levels. As you progress through the game of 9 levels each with 4 stages you will have to go across the cubes more than once to change their color. Slick and Sam are kind enough to undo your hard work as they make there way to the bottom of the game board. Oh I forgot to mention. Jumping off the game board and not landing on a colored disc also results in the loss of a life.

ImageImage

Now there are two things that help you along the way. First multi-Colored discs that you can jump onto for safety. They then fly you to the top and set you down on the top of the pyramid. If you time your jump correctly Coily will jump after you and plummet to his doom clearing the board of all enemies. Last is a little green ball that appears occasionally. Landing on the ball will freeze enemies for a time and allow you to get down to color changing business.

If you have never heard of Q*bert, or never thought to give it a chance, I say sit down, throw in that imaginary coin, and enjoy. Once you start playing Q*bert I think you will see why it is still being played to this day.

Note: If you wish to play Q*bert in MAME you must configure the controls correctly. If the controls are not configured correctly it can be very difficult to play. Please see the Mame Help Forum Link for exact instructions.

http://www.mameaddicts.com/phpBB3/viewt ... ?f=5&t=464

Also when playing Q*bert it was not designed for use with an 8-Way Joystick. If you use a modern day joystick you must be very precise in your movements or Q*bert will either stop moving or fly off the edge.

Game play footage: (I am not the one playing)

Jump to Index

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: X-Men

Trog : Midway, 1991

Post by Seraph » January 31st, 2010, 3:52 am

Trog

Midway, 1991, Maze

Abstract:

This review is an honorable mention to Midway and Namco; because although they do not fall into my top three video game companies, they should be respected for their video game contributions. Anyway, Midway is a company that took the game you loved and injected extreme violence into it! However, the video gaming world was changed forever when Namco released Pac-Man in 1980. Anyway, I am always surprised that people overlook this title, because so many people can relate to Pac-Man, yet most people I talked to have never heard of Trog. If I haven't convinced you to try it yet "it's an advanced and violent evolution of Pac-Man, which is the most influential game for the arcade" -Seraph. I'll get more to that later in the review, but as I continue I hope you at least give it a shot.

Stay tuned for my next review as it will be another "top three / tribute" review.

Plot:

Assuming you have a firm background in Pac-Man (look for red text referring to Pac-Man), you control a T-Rex (Pac-Man) and gather eggs (Pac-Dots) that are the same color as your T-Rex. There is a counter at the top of the screen telling you how many eggs you have left to collect. Once you see that you have zero eggs left, a sign saying "Home" tells you that you can leave the level (you are not safe until you exit which is different from Pac-Man). Now this is where the Trog (Ghosts) come in. The Trog don't care that you just want to collect eggs and get home. They will do anything for a meal even if it means they have to sit down and do some thinking. :devlish:

Unlike Pac-Man there are more power-ups, power-downs, traps, things aimed to kill you, and even falling off the island (no walls to keep you safe) to worry about. The animation for anything dying is much more enjoyable, and it's refreshing that whatever can kill you kills the Trog.

Characters:

The character selection screen (above) shows 4 players, so imagine playing a Pac-Man-like game with 4 players at the same time. Well, now you can!

Gameplay:

Since I don't want to ruin the game for you and because of its simplicity, I'm only including gameplay screenshots.

Eat enough Trog and a cool message appears unlike Pac-Man.

You get points for getting the Trog to fall off the island.

How I Found Out About Trog:

In the 90's, McDonald's did more than help you gain weight, they got your game on too! At the location near my house, some genius put a Trog unit next to the "play area" and I have loved the game ever since.

Trog Trivia:

"A Trog unit appears in the 1991 movie 'Terminator 2 - Judgment Day'." - arcade-history.com

"The Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) titled the game Trog!, I think because of the confusion between the dictionary's definition and a movie called Trog." - Seraph

"I think it's a weird coincidence that if you look at the T-Rex name "TR", the land they live in "OG", and when you put it together you get Trog which are out to eat you. - Seraph

Jump to Index

eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Shinobi : Sega, 1987

Post by eliaskeme » February 6th, 2010, 6:24 am

Shinobi

Sega, 1987, Platform / Fighter Scrolling

A classic game for everyone who want to be a ninja. :ninja:

Info: In this game you have the control of a ninja and you have to complete 5 missions in order to complete the game. Each mission is divided into stages and in the end you face the mission boss. During the gameplay you will have to rescue hostages in order to proceed. Your ninja shoots with the traditional ninja stars but is also very good with the gun the game provides you if you rescue many hostages:

Image Image

If you find trouble going through a stage you can immediately eliminate the surrounding enemies using the Magic Attack:

Image Image

After you defeat the mission boss, you will be moved to the bonus stage. There you will have to kill all the running ninjas with your stars and eventually earn an extra life. However unless you do it fast and correctly you will fail:

Image Image
Damn I was so close !!

Advantages: The game is definitely one of a kind and it can offer you a large amount of thrill while you are playing. Also the music in some stages is great.

Disadvantages: There are certain kinds of enemies and there are also certain kinds of Magic Attacks. But this game is worth playing.

Videos: Here is my Shinobi gameplay video.

Jump to Index
Last edited by eliaskeme on November 28th, 2016, 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Altered Beast : Sega, 1988

Post by Nostalgia » February 10th, 2010, 4:51 pm

Altered Beast

Sega, 1988, Platform / Fighter Scrolling

Most gamers have played or at least heard of Altered Beast. It's a classic 1-2 player game which was released at the arcades in 1988, and was later ported to many different home systems.

The story is one of a centurion who has died in battle, but is later raised from the dead by the great god Zeus, whose daughter has been... wait for it... kidnapped!!!

:hehe:

Hmm I guess I shouldn't be too critical about the semi-lame plot. We ARE talking about a game released in 1988.

So anyway, Zeus' daughter (oh, her name is Athena by the way :thumbsup: ) was kidnapped by none other than Neff, the evil lord of the Underworld.

Zeus has granted you the ability to shift into different powerful and magical beasts (via power-ups), but Neff can do this too, so be prepared for some epic battles at the end of every stage.

BRING IT ON, NEFF!!!

Oh boy...

If you're unfamiliar with Greek mythology, then you probably have no idea who Zeus is. If you ARE familiar with Greek mythology, then you're probably wondering what a centurion is doing in what looks like Ancient Greece!

And why did he just turn into a werewolf?

But this originality and creativity is a huge part of why this game is so immersive and fun for me.

There are only 5 stages to beat, but the stages are challenging and they are very diverse, with quite a few different types of enemies to face.

By the end of the game you will feel like it was enough work for one day.

The waves of standard enemies you face are pretty easy to kill, but if you get too relaxed about it they will be all over you like seagulls on a chip.

A basic enemy you'll encounter.

It's a lot of fun discovering the different forms you can morph into throughout the game, and these forms require that you get used to them in the short amount of time you have before the boss fights. You will face the bosses soon after becoming fully morphed.

All of the forms are completely different. You'll find you aren't getting bored as quickly as you do in some other beat 'em ups where you can only do the same attacks throughout the entire game, and only have two or three characters to choose from (Eg: Double Dragon and Final Fight).

For a game released in 1988, the graphics, music and sound effects are all top notch and the creativity of the game's overall design is awe-inspiring. The gameplay and flow of the game stops it from getting boring fast and really seals the deal.

An absolute must-play game and I'm looking forward to playing it online soon as I've only ever played it by myself. I'm expecting a lot of fun.

Enjoy.

Edit: Hiero and myself have since played Altered Beast online and it works faultlessly. Changes the gameplay a lot too (for the better).

Jump to Index