Board index MAME Help MAMEUI64 -- How To Save *AUTOFIRE* Preferences Per Game ??

MAMEUI64 -- How To Save *AUTOFIRE* Preferences Per Game ??

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
Wonderboy Member

I'm using MAMEUI64 v0.181 and I'm wondering if there is a way to save autofire settings for games like Raiden? Because everytime I play, I have to go into the in-game menu and select which player buttons have autofire applied to them and it has become very tedious, especially since every other setting I want can be saved for each indidual game but not this one it seems?

I've searched the internet but could not find an answer for this so far. I'm hoping there is an ini setting that I don't know about.

Can anyone help with this? I would really appreciate it :)

Post November 7th, 2017, 2:19 am
Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

My understanding is that standard MAME treats autofire like any other cheat, so it resets each time. The only way around it that I know of is to use MAMEPlus! instead, which saves autofire settings in each game's CFG file, like so:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!-- This file is autogenerated; comments and unknown tags will be stripped -->
<mameconfig version="10">
    <system name="raiden">
        <input>
            <port tag=":P1_P2" type="P1_BUTTON1" mask="16" defvalue="16" autofire="on" />
        </input>
    </system>
</mameconfig>

You can see there that the "P1_BUTTON1" has autofire="on" saved in the Raiden configuration.

The last official version of MAMEPlus! on their sourceforge page is 0.159, although 0.158 is actually the last one there to use the traditional MAMEPlus! interface:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mamepl ... /releases/

There is also a broader MAMEPlus! archive here:

http://www.progettosnaps.net/mameplus/

Post November 8th, 2017, 7:11 am
Wonderboy Member

Thanks Hierophant, really appreciate your detailed instructions on this, I will give it a try. Glad to hear there is a way to do this but its a pain to have to use a whole new version of Mame that is also a lot older than my current romset version. Do you know if it is possible to hack or recompile the version of MameuUI64 (v0.181) I have?

Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

No worries, Wonderboy. :hello:

Believe me, many of us feel the pain of the MAMEPLus! and MAMEUIFX guys bowing out. Yes, MAME can be recompiled; that's how those knowledgeable folks could make MAME do all the extra cool stuff for us players.

Wonderboy Member

Yep its a real shame, I was using MameFX until I realised it had been discontinued. Do you think its something I could learn to do using a guide or something? I mean, Im not a programer but if its just a case of locating some lines of code and adding or changing something and then recompiling, then maybe I could manage it with a little help?

Im otherwise pretty happy with MameUI except for that one autofire thing...

Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I suppose it's a matter of how much time and effort a person is willing to spend on going down that path. I don't know if it's possible to patch code across such disparate versions (eg. MAMEPlus! 0.158 - MAME 0.181). I imagine it would require some research to find out if that's even worth pursuing. It would probably be best to ask the BYOAC guys for their thoughts on the matter:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/

If you do happen to ask them, I'd be interested in following along with the rest of the story.

Wonderboy Member

Hierophant wrote:
I suppose it's a matter of how much time and effort a person is willing to spend on going down that path. I don't know if it's possible to patch code across such disparate versions (eg. MAMEPlus! 0.158 - MAME 0.181). I imagine it would require some research to find out if that's even worth pursuing. It would probably be best to ask the BYOAC guys for their thoughts on the matter:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/

If you do happen to ask them, I'd be interested in following along with the rest of the story.

I hear you, would be great if existing code for this could be transfered so to speak, but maybe not so easy! I will consult the experts thanks for the link and thanks again for all your advice on this :smile:

If I ever have success with this pursuit, I will certainly let you know :V:

PantherUK User avatar

I haven't checked on any autofire settings but there is a continuation of MameUIFX called Arcade... I recently put the latest version on one of my PC's and it is identical to its predecessor...

http://arcade.mameworld.info
Ooer... No pictures...

Return to MAME Help

Google+