Board index MAME Help "Modern" MAME not seeing keyboard

"Modern" MAME not seeing keyboard

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
Post October 18th, 2017, 1:24 pm
Ripcord New Member

I'm having an odd problem that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere, wondering if people have some ideas.

I'm finally upgrading one of my (Windows 7) emulation systems from ancient Mame (0.145) to more modern (trying 0.188, but anything relatively recent).

Even if I take a vanilla Mame install - freshly extracted, no config - it seems to refuse to see the keyboard on the system. If I load just the default menu (mame64.exe with no options), I can't navigate the menus, although typing letters will let me do searches.

Using the mouse I can navigate to menus, and if I look at control config lists, every item (like "P1 Up", "Pause", etc) just says "n/a", as if it doesn't think I have any control devices attached.

I can double-click on an item to try to map a key binding, which it lets me do, but then doesn't respond to any keypresses.

I've used my old config, wiped config (deleted all .cfg and .ini files and run mame64.exe -cc), used a "Fresh" install, all with the same result. I've even tried setting custom bindings in default.cfg for things like "UI_CONFIGURE" to "KEYCODE_TAB", but those settings still just show up as "n/a" in the UI.

I've tried flipping settings I see that seem like they might be relevant, like enabling/disabling multikeyboard, enabling/disabling joystick, etc. No change.

Mame 0.145 doesn't have this problem. 0.175 does (and 0.188). I haven't tested versions between .145 and .175 to see when the problem started, but I can.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Post October 21st, 2017, 9:11 pm
Incito User avatar
Founder
Founder

Is this a wireless KB?

Post October 26th, 2017, 2:52 am
Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Is Windows completely up to date?

Return to MAME Help