Board index MAME Help Constant pop/click sound in Popeye

Constant pop/click sound in Popeye

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
Post December 8th, 2015, 11:25 pm
flcl64 User avatar
Mame Addict
Mame Addict

Popeye makes a popping sound every 5-6 seconds. I've tried changing every audio/video/sync option I could find. Any suggestions?

I'm running Mame Plus! XT on Windows Vista.

Post December 10th, 2015, 2:44 am
Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I get no obvious audio popping at my end. The only sound bug info I could find for Popeye is here...

http://mametesters.org/view.php?id=3726

...but that was a minor issue and doesn't seem related to your problem.

Maybe try testing it in a different version of MAME? 0.153 or later, just in case. That's when the above bug was fixed. If you still get the same result then I start to wonder if it's some sorta hardware problem in your setup and nothing to do with MAME.

Conversely, try outputting your current setup through some other speakers if possible. That might also help confirm if it's being caused by the hardware or not.

Post December 1st, 2016, 4:47 am
flcl64 User avatar
Mame Addict
Mame Addict

I might have found some info on the problem. I used an older version of MAME and the clicking went away. I'd just switch over to it, but it runs too slow on my machine.
But I noticed that in the version that doesn't click, the slider menu had 3 sliders called AY-3-8910a ':aysnd'.
The version that clicks only has 1 volume slider called 'Netlist'
Is there a way to change the netlist sound to the other one without changing emulators?

Post December 1st, 2016, 3:39 pm
Incito User avatar
Founder
Founder

I too get no popping on v0.119 or v0.166

Post December 1st, 2016, 4:52 pm
flcl64 User avatar
Mame Addict
Mame Addict

Is that MAME Plus! XT?

Post December 2nd, 2016, 12:26 am
flcl64 User avatar
Mame Addict
Mame Addict

.119 is missing channels on all games and .166 still pops.

Post December 2nd, 2016, 11:37 pm
flcl64 User avatar
Mame Addict
Mame Addict

changed to one that works, now color overlays don't work on the vector games when in d3d mode. The other modes are slow. :wtf:

Post December 3rd, 2016, 1:26 am
flcl64 User avatar
Mame Addict
Mame Addict

I can see the overlay turns on over the black, but under the white. It's in MAME Plus! XT v. 0.149.1

I downloaded artwork, it works (bezels/backdrops/etc.), but there's still no color overlay.

Post December 4th, 2016, 12:23 am
flcl64 User avatar
Mame Addict
Mame Addict

I've found an okay work around. Vector games don't look as good as they used to but it's passable. The old ini files were making things run slow when using DirectDraw. Now I'm using DirectDraw which gives me color overlays, but kinda throws the smooth lines out the window.

But hey, I gots me some Popeye.

Return to MAME Help

Google+