Mame controls driving me crazy... again !

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Re: Mame controls driving me crazy... again !

Post by PantherUK » August 26th, 2015, 1:02 am

:goodpost:

Edit: This post would have been a lot better had it have been on the same page as the post its pointing at... :blush:
Ooer... No pictures...

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » August 26th, 2015, 1:05 am

LOL!!! Thanks for that, mate. :rofl:

Atarix777
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Atarix777 » August 26th, 2015, 2:23 am

I had the same problem, too - in my case the problem was not MAME but that my PC changed from time to time the name for the input controlls. Took a while for me to find out, that the problem came from the USB plugs - Now I know that I have to use always the same USB port for the same Fightstick/Joypad before of starting MAME - if I change them just once, my PC will rename all buttons again and then I'll have to reconfigure MAME, too.

Voljega
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by Voljega » August 26th, 2015, 3:25 am

Thank you Hierophant it's pretty clear that way !

Yeah I was wondering if the USB port could be an issue too, even if my joystick always seem to be connected with the same number.

Also starting the (Windows) PC with the arcade stick already connected doesn't seem to plug them entirely, I had some issue where I had to unplug/replug the arcade stick for Mame to detect it... And by reading many things about Retroarch on Linux it seems to be an issue on Linux as well

So copy save of the cfg files seem to be the only way of being sure to keep custom controls.

Scripts recreating cfg from clean custom copies before launching MAME GUI executable could also be a good thing (once you've finished to fine tune all your controls of course)

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Post by Incito » August 26th, 2015, 2:07 pm

Atarix777 wrote:Took a while for me to find out, that the problem came from the USB plugs - Now I know that I have to use always the same USB port for the same Fightstick/Joypad before of starting MAME - if I change them just once, my PC will rename all buttons again and then I'll have to reconfigure MAME, too.
I wonder it your controller used a com port? Changing USBs will change the com port and hose your config on some devices. :confused:

Atarix777
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Atarix777 » September 1st, 2015, 1:33 am

Its more like a "random" change, once i use a different USB Port for my fight stick on the PC, it will get a different adress and MAME is not knowing these adresses until i make a update in the cfg. Well, nowdays i do not have this problem anymore because i always use the same USB Port, but it took me a while to understand what happend :confused: