New to MAME

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Re: New to MAME

Post by Incito » February 14th, 2018, 4:37 am

Hierophant totally deserves this :clapping: :V: :hooray:
The backbone of MA right here. Really good answers on this thread.

Fennec
Gamer
Gamer

Post by Fennec » February 14th, 2018, 11:11 pm

I'll have to read your responses when I get a minute.

I've been wondering about the different emulation disclaimers that
occasionally pop up when loading different MAME games.

And I'm curious if any of you guys play titles with these specific emulation disclaimers (i'm assuming you do),
AND if so, do you notice any substantial game-play issues?

Emulation disclaimers:

-Improperly Emulated Graphics (Mameui block is yellow)(Game will load)
-Incorrect Dumps (Mameui block is green)(Game will load)
-Imperfectly Emulated Sound. (Mameui block is yellow)(Game will load)

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Post by PantherUK » February 15th, 2018, 12:44 am

If it's playable, I'll play it... I've not noticed anything game breaking, but that's not to suggest I've played every single game all the way through by any means...
Ooer... No pictures...

Fennec
Gamer
Gamer

Post by Fennec » February 16th, 2018, 3:22 am

Hierophant wrote:
February 11th, 2018, 12:23 am

Now, even though I tend to steer clear of MAMEUI these days, mainly because of the bloating from all of the non-arcade stuff that's included now.
  • mameppk_bin_gcc-0.119-20070914 - As Incito mentioned, that's the Kaillera build for playing MAME online with other people. I have a pretty much full ROM set for this, so it's also got good general usage. As PantherUK points out, the continuation of MAMEUIFX. I'm updating this one occasionally whenever any worthwhile games get added.
http://www.progettosnaps.net/mameui/
Does the above website that you linked host mameppk_bin_gcc-0.119-20070914?
Why would a build that supports online play be discontinued? You'd think online play would be a fairly popular request among the community if people are willing to use a very old build of MAME for it. I assume the multiplayer is solid or is it laggy?

Reading progettosnaps & what you've written, I see that: "Arcade is Maintained by Robbbert, it is the most direct consequence of MAMEUIFX, containing only the portion of MAME arcade and removing "extra games" that MAMEUIFX offered."

-So when he says "extra games" I assume he means that all non-arcade games are unplayable?

-No need for me to elaborate further on the disparity in ROM set sizes based on the two different ROM hosting sites because I've since abandoned my hunt-and-peck strategy to acquire only the MAME games I want. I went with a complete MAME ROM Set for 0.194 even though It's a bit much for me.

I'm never in a million years going to play a lot of these handheld games or any other kinda funky non-arcade games I've never played before.

-Maybe I should start looking at Arcade64. I'd assume I could use my 0.194 MAME ROMs/.CHDs/Samples/BIOS with the latest version of Arcade64?

-Have you tried Final Burn Alpha or Emulation on a PI3 by chance? Seems certain games such as Killer Instinct and MVC2 struggle on the PI3 hardware. Was curious about that because I've been thinking about building my own Bartop arcade and I see a lot of people using PI3's but I think that hardware would be too under-powered for my personal taste.

Fennec
Gamer
Gamer

Post by Fennec » February 16th, 2018, 3:36 am

Well, I meant to do an "edit" on my previous post to include this recommendation, but I guess I'm blind and couldn't find the edit button.

I was thinking about the MAME FAQ, and perhaps this suggestion is mentioned else where but I couldn't find it with the search bar.

-Maybe mention within the FAQ that people should consider enabling triple buffering to eliminate screen tearing.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » February 18th, 2018, 9:10 pm

Sorry, but normal members can't edit their own posts. However, they can delete their posts within half an hour of submission, so with a quick bit of copy-pasting there sort of is a workaround.

Kaillera MAME lives here:

http://www.kaillera.com/download.php

We are using the P2P client instead of the default one:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2g5zw2nzi ... 707%29.rar

Further info:

Open Kaillera P2P - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=316

That's a members only forum, though, so I've also got a public version of that tutorial with our partners at the NewNet:

MAME32 + Open Kaillera (P2P) - http://thenewnet.eu/en/index.php?option ... Itemid=300

The download we prepared at the NewNet already has the P2P client in place.

Whether or not the Kaillera people will ever release another official update is entirely up to them, but considering that the last one was in 2007, we shouldn't hold our breath. Searching will reveal that there are newer versions of MAME Plus! Plus! floating around, but they are unofficial. I went through the hassle of testing one online with a friend once and it was a complete waste of time; laggy and buggy as hell. I think that whoever is doing this is not totally clued-in. The official versions of Kaillera MAME are generally fairly stable. The amount of lag is variable and just depends on ping.

One of the points of MAMEUIFX / Arcade64 is to remove gambling machines, consoles, etc. from the source and keep it purely arcade. The "extra games" being referred to in MAMEUIFX in particular are just hacks and other oddities which would not be included in standard MAME and which Robbbert has therefore removed from Arcade64, too.

At the time of writing, Arcade64 0.194 is the current version so there shouldn't be any compatibility issues for you.

Fennec
Gamer
Gamer

Post by Fennec » February 22nd, 2018, 6:56 am

Ok, thanks for that. I'll have to take a further look.

I seem to be a bit stuck on something. Likely, there's a very simple configuration involved that I'm overlooking.

1.) So there's multiple ways to organize .CHD files.
-So far I've only played around with a few games requiring .CHD files. I unzip the Roms archive and drop the corresponding .CHD file into the folder. Voila it works.
-I believe you can also drop all the .CHD files (which are in their own folders) into the Roms folder and that'll work too. I think you discussed this in a video if I recall.

-But I think there's a third way that I'm particularly interested in. If I recall, I've seen people create a "CHDs" folder within their "Roms" folder and move all their .CHDs there. They change or add a directory to point MAMEUI toward this "CHDs" folder. I think it involves Options > Directories and setting MAMEUI to look for the .CHDs folder from there. But based on the drop down menu I don't see a CHDs directory there and probably for one very obvious reason: It's not a default MAMEUI directory. So is there a way to set up a CHDs directory like this that will work? I would prefer to have my .CHD files separated like this if possible as opposed to dumping them into the Roms folder.

2.) I have a number of: Software List ROMs (split)
Any hints on how I go about organizing these files so that I can play them in MAMEUI?

Thanks!

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » February 22nd, 2018, 8:17 am

While leaving a CHD in an unzipped ROM folder is fine, just keep this in mind - zipping all of that up again later is a bad idea. CHDs are already compressed and are intended to be run as is. Running a CHD from a zip will impair performance to varying degrees as your system tries to read the entire CHD into memory.

The way it's done in my old 'MAME CHD Info and How To' video was the default setup method back then and it still works now. With the CHDs contained in normal file folders named after the relevant ROMs and the ROMs themselves in zip files, there is a semblance of order. Inside the ROMs folder, Windows will group the CHD file folders together first and the zipped ROMs will appear below.

I haven't bothered with it myself before, but I have a notion of how it might be possible to organize CHDs in newer MAME with the third way you mentioned. I would need to make a separate MAME setup, though, to experiment with the idea and not mess with my existing stuff. I'll get back to you with my findings.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » February 23rd, 2018, 5:51 am

Oh, and about 'Software List ROMs". I believe those are for MESS, that being the home consoles and other related items which used to be separate from MAME, but which have now all been lumped in together, along with the gambling machines. Whew!

Sorry, but I don't think there is much interest or support here for all of the non-arcade stuff which is now part of MAME. Like, if I wanna play NES ROMs, for example, I'll be playing them in one of the perfectly serviceable NES emulators I've already been using for almost ten years. I don't begrudge anyone who wants to do that sort of thing in MAME, though, but that's up to them.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » April 2nd, 2018, 6:24 am

I had some spare time to investigate this idea of separating MAME CHDs into their own folder. It's actually easy to do, but it's quite literally a massive waste of time (more on that later) and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. What I checked should be easy enough for any interested reader to repeat and test for themselves.

The first thing to know is that in MAMEUI64 (I used 0.194 for testing) you can set ROM directories by going Options > Directories, where ROMs will be the default first setting which can be adjusted. The main point is that multiple destination folders can be set up here by using the Insert button and browsing to any folder of your choice. In this way it's possible to have MAMEUI64 look for game files in other folders besides the default ROMs folder and those other folders can also be named whatever you wish.

So, say I have a CHD game like Street Fighter III 3rd Strike. I leave the sfiii3.zip file in the ROMs folder as usual and create a new folder, simply called CHDs, and place the cap-33s-2.chd file in there. I then use the Insert function to tell MAMEUI64 to see this new CHDs folder as another ROMs location.

Now right here is where the real problem begins. Once you add a new directory and press OK, a Game Search / Refresh / Full Audit will commence automatically (I'll just refer to it as a 'Refresh'). After a while I notice that the Refresh is proceeding at an inordinately slow pace. I let it run anyway and go do other things. It eventually finishes after what seems like well over an hour!

This makes me think I should get a proper baseline Refresh time first. So, I put the 3rd Strike CHD file back in the normal ROMs folder location, delete the separate CHDs folder I made, then go into Directory Options and delete the CHDs folder directory entry there. This time I carefully record the amount of time that passes after I hit OK and start the Refresh. In this case, I get a baseline Refresh time of 4 mins 45 secs, which is a far more reasonable wait period than well over an hour. Refresh times for older, arcade-only versions of MAME are even quicker again. For example, my MAME32 Plus! Plus! 0.119 can complete a Refresh in only 54 secs.

Continuing along the same track, I decide to get an accurate Refresh time for the earlier separate CHDs directory scenario. The Refresh time result I get is actually 1 hr 41 mins. Yikes!

Out of sheer masochistic curiosity, I decide to see what happens if I also add further separate directories for BIOS and Devices, for a total of four - ROMs, CHDs, BIOS, and Devices. I suspect this will take much longer, so I let it run while I do other things and check the progress occasionally. The Refresh time result I get for this test is a whopping 4 hrs 38 mins!

So, adding one or more of these extraneous game file directories just takes an absurd amount of time. It's obvious that even though it's possible, doing this is causing some undue strain on MAMEUI64 and demonstrates that it's not a process which the emulator was ever designed to handle properly.

Anyway, I think my computer and I have spent enough time on that. :wink: