Board index The Lobby Dragon's Lair and company.

Dragon's Lair and company.

For introductions and personal topics.
Post January 22nd, 2017, 6:38 am
starlingmax User avatar
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

I'm currently playing Dragon's Lair on Daphne, and while playing it I couldn't help but wonder, how much money did the averge person spend in this machine. The game is an epic coin muncher, the rate at which you lose credits is unbelievable.
I live in Argentina, and in this country these kind of games never made it here. So I wonder, fellow mameaddicts that live in more centric areas of the world, did you get to see this games in action at an Arcade? How was it? I read some stuff on the web stating that these games created a craze back in the day, earning millions of dollars to the developers, prompting other developers to jump onto the bandwagon, obviosly saturating the market and ending the craze, but in the mean time they earned a LOT. But again, I would like to read some first hand experiences if possible, not just the business side of the story, so if you happen to have encountered these machines, please share your experience!
Yeah yeah... sure, no problem.. ehhmmm well... bye...

Post January 22nd, 2017, 7:36 am
Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

When I went to the Southern tropical areas of Mexico to visit some extended family in the 80s and 90s I remember the woerd looking coins to operate the machines. I also remember seeing such a massive library of games that exposed me to so many at a fraction of he cost. I lived at the Arcades there during at least a few days of each trip. It is how i came to know most of thearcade library I know today.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt... and I'm all out of bubblegum. - George Nada (They Live)

Post January 22nd, 2017, 11:24 am
PantherUK User avatar

Here in England people went mad for Dragons Lair... I was about 11 when it came out, but didn't get to actually play it until a couple of years later due to the floods of people gathered around them and my parents not wanting to wait around for a couple of hours for me to queue up... I eventually got to have as many goes as I wanted in the 90's as my friend and his brother bought a cabinet and had it in their flat... I had a VHS tape that they recorded the whole laser disc on for me... So yeah quite a biggie over here...

Post January 23rd, 2017, 6:50 am
starlingmax User avatar
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

PantherUK wrote:
Here in England people went mad for Dragons Lair... I was about 11 when it came out, but didn't get to actually play it until a couple of years later due to the floods of people gathered around them and my parents not wanting to wait around for a couple of hours for me to queue up... I eventually got to have as many goes as I wanted in the 90's as my friend and his brother bought a cabinet and had it in their flat... I had a VHS tape that they recorded the whole laser disc on for me... So yeah quite a biggie over here...

Hey Panther!
So people queued for playing Dragon's Lair? That's the kind of thing I wanted to know! When you say people queued for 2 hours, even if that's a figure of speech, it clearly ilustrates how big it was. Even if I compare the biggest arcade hit in my country, that not even begins to compare to what you are saying. I even imagine people taking notes on other people's gameplay in order to know beforehand which direction to pull the stick when their time came to play.
Probably for the better than your parents didn't let you queue for hours just to spend 5 minutes playing (In the case of spending at least a couple of pounds that is). Also the fact that a friend of your's had the original arcade in their flat, speaks volumes of how much people loved the game, in Argentina Mortal Kombat, is the only game I can think of right now that would make people want to have the original arcade in their houses.

Seraph wrote:
When I went to the Southern tropical areas of Mexico to visit some extended family in the 80s and 90s I remember the woerd looking coins to operate the machines.

Ha! you are talking about "fichas", I suppose the right translation is "tokens", but I don't know for sure.

The usefulness of tokens resided in the fact that the arcade center owner could adjust the price of the credits, so to speak. For example, in some places the cost of 4 tokens would be 1 peso (BTW, in the 90's 1 Peso was worth the same as 1 American Dollar) but in other places they would give you 3 tokens for 1 peso. I always went to an arcade center where they would give you 5 tokens for a peso :thumbsup:
Off course, every arcade center had to have their particular kind of token, so you couldn't buy cheap tokens in one arcade center, and spend them in an expensive one... Buuuut, there were some inexpensive places far from downtown that would have the the same kind of tokens that another arcade center in the city, and being that far away these places would sell maybe 10 tokens per peso, so if you could buy like 5 pesos on tokens, you would be a rich man in the city! hahaha, I could never pull that off because I never went far away from the city, but I knew people who were able to do this.

Post January 23rd, 2017, 10:52 pm
Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Max, thanks for taking me down memory lane and explaining my story in more detail to the rest of the class haha. Even mentioning the fichas and adding the pics! Man seeing those coins made me immediately think of Black Tiger at the arcade and Contra a block down from my uncles house at a convenience store.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt... and I'm all out of bubblegum. - George Nada (They Live)

Post January 24th, 2017, 6:23 pm
starlingmax User avatar
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Hahahaha! you took me to a memory trip when you mentioned the weird coins! so thank YOU! :thumbsup:
By the way, I love Black Tiger! (and contra obviously, but few people would mention black tiger)

Post January 24th, 2017, 8:34 pm
Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

http://www.mameaddicts.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=3162#p3162

I wrote our Mame Addicts Review on Black tiger it had such an impact on my arcade gaming memory.

Post January 26th, 2017, 1:58 am
starlingmax User avatar
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Your review was extremely spot on, Seraph, in particular when you mention the importanceof the player's decision on what to upgrade.
I personally love games that have some sort of economy, for example Cadash, Black Tiger, Wonderboy in Monsterland, Battle Circuit, etc. Because the desicions you make have a profound impact on the subsequent development of the game. For example in Black Tiger, I try to avoid any upgrade until the third stage, but sometimes you give in and purchase something.

Return to The Lobby

Google+