Board index The Lobby Greeeeeetings! I am INTVaddict.

Greeeeeetings! I am INTVaddict.

For introductions and personal topics.
Post August 25th, 2015, 12:55 pm
INTVaddict User avatar
Gamer Supreme
Gamer Supreme

:: coyly places aggressive quarters on your machine ::

While I'm not exactly new to emulators, I am freshly introduced to the wonderment that is MAME. I can't remember how it got started, just a scant short week ago, but I discovered that there were Intellivision emulators out in the world that I could use to play my old favorites from childhood right on my home PC.

Oh, I remember. Actually, I found an NES emulator first (NEStopia, I think it was called) and had a bit of fun playing, oh, what was it...oh, 1942. I couldn't believe how well the emulators work. My first emulator exposure was a PS2 one, and I tried playing one of my discs (Rainbox Six) and while it played...it was super horribly mis-timed, and I just wrote the whole thing off...until I saw the older games that were easily playable.

Anyway, I first ran into "Nostalgia," a fairly well-put-together Intellivision emulator out there...but I was having trouble getting my Advanced Dungeons and Dragons ROM to play on it, and so I went looking for other emulators, and after a short look at jzINTV, I accidentally saw that you could play the game online via a browser helper something or other using the emulator "MESS." So, I figured, well...I'll just go look for MESS, and...well, that led me to MAME, because I guess at some point, MAME became integrated with MESS...and yadda yadda yadda...bingo-bango, now I'm using MAME64 0.164, with the MAMEUI64 as the front-end, because the command line functions was driving me up the wall.

In any case, so that's me and my MAME exposure in a nutshell. I'll be shooting questions around, I'm sure after watching some more videos at the Youtubes.

Post August 25th, 2015, 3:14 pm
PantherUK User avatar

Wlecome to MAMEAddicts, feel free to shoot any questions, tons of folks happy to help here...

Post August 25th, 2015, 4:07 pm
Thulsa Arbiter
Arbiter

Welcome.

MAME is awesome. :liil: It never fails to scratch that nostalgia itch.
My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.
~Thulsa Doom~

Post August 25th, 2015, 4:22 pm
INTVaddict User avatar
Gamer Supreme
Gamer Supreme

Awesome. Will do.

Here's one. Let's say that I've read the FAQs and searched the boards and my particular platform/game issue has no representation (yet). If I was having an issue getting MAME to recognize a ROM that it will play if I navigate inside the File Manager with the Intellivision ROM loaded, but won't recognize it on its own, regardless of where the ROM file is located (i.e., in a zip file by itself, outside of a zip file but in the INTV folder, outside of the INTV folder but still IN the ROM folder...whether or not there is a directory listing explicitly to the folder containing the ROM made in MAME), but that it is a naming convention problem (like highlighted in the noob helper FAQ).

If CAESAR and mamedb do not have a listing online for a certain title, how would one go about figuring out what the "correct" spelling is supposed to be?

Or, in the case of Intellivision game ROMs, are they just never listed at all, separately and must be loaded only from the File Manager after INTV is launched from MAME?

I have no problem making a bunch of separate batch files to load specific games, but I was kind of hoping to be able to lean on MAME's controller config files for specific games...because the emulation for the Intellivision controllers...which were always very different than other console types...is hit and miss, and is definitely not uniform. So, having the ability to only change the console INTV controller settings is not very useful.

Anyway, that's my big issue for the moment. I appreciate the time and effort that goes into Noob Education. :)

Post August 26th, 2015, 12:39 am
Voljega Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Welcome :)

Well from what I tried I would say that emulators works quite perfect when there's no cdrom involved and when there is enough differences in terms of computation power between your computer and the system you're trying to emulate.
Everything worked like a charm up to the N64

After that it's a bit messy.
Ps1 emulation works fine but getting good working roms is difficult
Gamecube works pretty well but not with all games and there are still many sound / graphics glitches
And I read that on a good modern PC some Ps2 games work pretty well

Return to The Lobby

Google+