Board index General Re: Seraph's Top 100 Arcade Games List Discussion

Re: Seraph's Top 100 Arcade Games List Discussion

This forum is designed for gamers to come together and socialize.
Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Link to the Top 100 Arcade Games list is up - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2556&p=17491#p17491

Update:

This is a work in progress but this will start it off. I think the list breakdown is very balanced and will work out nicely. Thoughts?

10 Classic
20 Beat Em Up
10 Fighting
5 Maze
5 Misc
10 Platformer
10 Shmup Flying 2D
5 Shmup Flying 3D
10 Shmup Run and Gun
10 Shooter Light Gun
5 Shooter Third Person (Cabal)

10 Classic
40 Fighting
10 Misc/Maze
40 Shooter
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt... and I'm all out of bubblegum. - George Nada (They Live)

Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Top 10 Classic games for discussion.

Asteroids
Defender
Donkey Kong
Frogger
Galaga
Mario Bros.
Missle Command
Pac-Man
Pong
Space Invaders
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt... and I'm all out of bubblegum. - George Nada (They Live)

Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Top 10 Fighting games for discussion.

Capcom vs.
Dead or Alive
Guilty Gear
Killer Instinct
King of Fighters
Mortal Kombat
Street Fighter
Soul Caliber
Tekken
Virtura Fighter

Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Also, if you are wondering why only 10 classic games, I based it off of what I'm more likely to play too. For instance, if I were to pick a classic game to play, I would likely play only those. Anything else I'd play would be because someone else wanted to play another one and I played along. That is why Beat em ups got a top 20 and fighting games only got a top 10.

Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Oh and I did only a top 10 for fighting because I likely would stick to those games. Anything outside of those, I likely wouldn't have much skill with even one fighter because there are so many moves for each character. A top 5 would have worked for me, but that is too few games on such a great genre of games.

I forgot to mention that the criteria for classic games is that the games start from the beginning to the end of 83. That would allow Galaga, Mario Bros., and potentially Gyruss to make the list. That is when the Golden Age games peaked and abruptly faded. If you are wondering why Gyruss didn't make my cut, it's because I'd rather play on NES and as an honorable mention. I don't know if I've ever talked about my love for that game but it's amazing.

Last thing, I shouldn't have to say it based on my list so far but one game per franchise.

Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Should be a nice list, Seraph. Would race driving, sports, or puzzle games fit in there anywhere?

Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

The 5 misc for Three Wonders, NBA Jam, Puzzle Bobble, Golden Tee (maybe) and the best driving game (recommendations?) unless someone can convince me to drop a game from the other 95 for something that good. Problem is so many good games for a top 100 haha. Anyway, any ideas on games to add or replace? Any ideas on the Classic games or fighting?

Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

One major rule I stuck with was it had to be something I would likely play at least occasionly. There are other consoles to compete for time and there is modern consoles. That's why the fighting list had to be cut. Too many moves and very few games had similar move structure.

Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

The first arcade driving game which always springs to my mind is Virtua Racing; not only for the great gameplay and graphics, but its status as the most influential game of the genre. Everything else seems kinda second best.

Can't really argue much with your picks. I mean, I also have a soft spot for Gyruss and played it in the arcades way more than a some of the listed classics, but should personal preference displace general popularity?

PantherUK User avatar

If I'm ever asked, or think about an arcade racing game Outrun and Pole Position always come to mind first for me... If it's more modern then I tend to think of Daytona or Sega Rally...
Ooer... No pictures...

Next

Return to General

Google+