Re: Seraph's Top 100 Arcade Games List Discussion

This forum is designed for gamers to come together and socialize.
Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: X-Men

Post by Seraph » September 26th, 2016, 8:35 am

I thought about the whole Capcom thing but then I thought thats how good they were back then. I was more concerned about losing Streets of Rage 1. I thought I saw a box for Streets of Rage for Megadrive or Genesis and Players 1 or 2 on the box but wanted to confirm that. If so yeah lets just keep Cadillacs and Dinosaurs. I'll look into that later.

Any of the other lists lacking? Any game that was really solid that was left out? Wondering how I can squeeze Zombie Revenge in there in the "Other" titles, but the only way to do that would be to remove 5 in the Gun category but it would be hard bringing that list to 10. Maybe something to think about.

Aside from classics of course on what to add because I didn't want the list overpowered by classic titles, which is how everyones lists tends to look outside Mame Addicts.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt... and I'm all out of bubblegum. - George Nada (They Live)

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Seraph » September 26th, 2016, 9:09 am

Confirmed Streets of Rage 1 was on Genesis so yeah lets remove SoR. Let me know if anything major was left out of the list. I think it may be solid the way it is unless we put more in the other category but not too sure about that.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt... and I'm all out of bubblegum. - George Nada (They Live)

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » September 27th, 2016, 11:25 pm

Yeah, Capcom are the masters of the scrolling beat 'em up, so it is deserved.

In Fighter Platform you have Haunted Castle. Please consider Rastan.

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Seraph » September 28th, 2016, 10:43 am

Hiero this is when it finally gets interesting. Where we have legitimate games that should make the list but what gets the Axe? I have a special bias with Haunted Castle being a Castlevania nut, and playing that as much in coin as Black Tiger, Nemo, and the rest. I suppose the conversation is what game gets the 10th and 11th slot. For me Wonder Boy is likely my 10th game on the basis of the Sega Master System version, and its just hard to knock anything off really. I'll give Rastan another close look this evening.

What we may end up doing is put Haunted Castle in Green for Seraph and Rastan in Red for you on some of the final changes so it will be a MAME Addicts list instead of just mine. My questions if we make it a group list since you all have been adding input I would want to know if you guys are fine with the ground rules like only a Top 10 on classics, and the other genres as well or if our lists would be way off? If very different then I'll just keep my picks in black and just have different colors for you guys in place of certain titles as (your picks). Thoughts? I will check Rastan again this evening.

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Seraph » September 28th, 2016, 10:13 pm

Compared them side by side and I think I would burn Wonder Boy over Haunted Castle even though I'm a huge Adventure Island fan as well. Maybe we see what Panther thinks and put the bottom games in different colors at this point.

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Post by PantherUK » September 29th, 2016, 12:30 am

I'll do some comparisons over the weekend, although to be fair, thanks to 8-bit conversions on the Commodore 64, Rastan is the game I know best out of the 3...
Ooer... No pictures...

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » September 29th, 2016, 3:15 am

Keep it as your list, mate. I'm just trying to help by pointing out anything which strikes me as odd.

The reason for picking on Haunted Castle is that, for a Castlevania game, I find it to be devoid of any feeling. Compared to the really good ones, like Super Castlevania IV or Symphony of the Night, playing Haunted Castle seems like drudgery to me.

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Seraph » September 29th, 2016, 9:28 am

Ouch little love for Castlevania? Yeah I agree it wasn't what you would expect from Castlevania but it still is a hard platformer with some memorable moments and music. I guess I like the CV series so much because it got me into my love for horror. In fact, after Super Mario Bros 1, Castlevania for the NES was the first game I played that didn'tcome with the console.

When I was like 4 years old, there were these teenagers that had like every NES game but the one they were playing was Castlevania and after hours of my brother and I playing non stop we borrowed it till we got our copy.

I get why Rastan is hard to bench too because the different powerups, enemies, and dynamics of their platforming throughout the game makes it a solid title. My only problem is the music although still good it's repetitive.

I will look into Wonder Boy again and see the variance in it vs Sega. Maybe it pans out to drop in the same fashion as Streets of Rage.

Edit: So I did some research and the Sega Master System version of Wonder Boy is upgraded enough to justify it as the definitive version of the game. The character isn't as slick on surfaces as you would expect from the arcade, but jumping can be also more challenging in some areas in the Sega Master System version. Also, the slightly polished graphics, and extra levels I think make the console version win. What you guys think?

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » September 30th, 2016, 3:28 am

I'm a mad Castlevania fan, too. Symphony of the Night is among my top 3 most played PSX games. It's games like that which set a very high standard for the series, though, and Haunted Castle just feels way below par to me.

I'm not much help with that particular Wonder Boy game. I've only ever gotten into the action RPG one on the Mega Drive / Genesis, Wonder Boy in Monster World.

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Seraph » September 30th, 2016, 6:04 am

Well maybe Panther played that SMS version. You can see a longplay on youtube and compare but yeah most people never played SMS. I only played SMS in high school cause guy next door had that. I think that Wonder Boy was the only decent game on there to tell you the truth but I didnt play it long enough to remember the bonus content. We played Playstation and Saturn more then.

Anyway, anything else that struck you on the other lists? Man the advoce you guys gave so far has been really helpful! I played most of those arcade games but we never had Outrun and Vendetta at the places I grew up.