Is Mame over ?

This forum is designed for gamers to come together and socialize.
Voljega
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Is Mame over ?

Post by Voljega » February 9th, 2016, 2:15 am

I know, I know, provocative statement !

Well lately I've upgraded from a 0.152 to a 0.167 and to my surprise, The Outfoxes which was working perfectly fine has been downgraded to sound not working, and yes the sound in the game is now all crappy and choppy whereas it was working perfectly fine before. I noticed some other games which seem to have suffered in the same way.

At the same time I've been following closely the monthly releases of MAME for the past year and a half and it's hard to notice that there isn't much going on in terms of arcade.

Actually they seem to work on MESS and nothing else much, to a ridiculous point : lately they've been adding things like the Nokia 3310 and children pseudocomputer or even what seems to be computer or hardwares not event dedicated to playing to the list of supported hardwares at an enormous rate.

So not only are they not doing much in terms of corrections and implementation for the arcade wold, but there are still a ton of games not working or not working correctly, especially for the latest arcade hardwares (post 98 let's say)

And while MAME doesn't to be going anywhere, there are new dedicated systems (like Supermodel or things for Naomi, and others) released everywhere which seems to work perfectly fine, but sadly not use a standard UI and unified system as MAME... covering most of the systems and games which MAME seems to have abandonned

So what do you think ? Will work on missing or non working arcade systems resume massively on MAME ? Can we hope to see one day many more games and newest hardwares on Mame ? Or are those days over ?

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Re: Is Mame over ?

Post by PantherUK » February 10th, 2016, 1:25 am

Interesting... My cabinet has MAMEUIFX 0.166 running on it and I haven't noticed anything like that... I only really upgraded so I could use the OpenGL shaders, I'll have to try out Outfoxes tonight and get back to you... As everything is running smoothly now and looks nice, nothing but a major leap forward will see me needing to upgrade again for the foreseeable future...
Ooer... No pictures...

Voljega
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by Voljega » February 10th, 2016, 5:09 pm

PantherUK

Post by PantherUK » February 10th, 2016, 6:24 pm

MAME has grown since it was a simple pac man emulator...
Ooer... No pictures...

PantherUK

Post by PantherUK » February 10th, 2016, 7:03 pm

I tested The Outfoxes on MAMEUIFX 0.166, and although it shows that the sound emulation isn't 100%, it sounds just fine for me with no choppiness... All the speech is there and I can't detect any missing instruments...
Ooer... No pictures...

Voljega
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by Voljega » February 16th, 2016, 5:46 am

Damn ! Well it's not working for me and I don't remember any modification of this rom in 0.167...

PantherUK

Post by PantherUK » February 16th, 2016, 8:19 am

Perhaps try the set from the 0.167 collection just in case something was overlooked...
Ooer... No pictures...

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » February 16th, 2016, 8:28 pm

I used to feel a bit outraged by this kind of thing, namely back when they started adding all the gambling machines to MAME. I never saw any of those in any arcade. Thankfully, MAMEUIFX deletes all that junk from the source.

I'm more sanguine about it these days. No one is holding a gun to MAMEDev's head for their free work. If it really was all over today, then those guys would still deserve the eternal gratitude of the arcade fans for everything they've given us.

As far as I know, The Outfoxies never had perfect sound emulation. If it has become worse in recent MAME, that would actually indicate that it's being worked on for some reason and nothing is over, even though things may slow to a trickle. Sometimes they must break stuff before they can fix it, e.g. to remove old speed hacks from a driver in order to make it more accurate.

oldschoolplaya

Post by oldschoolplaya » March 12th, 2016, 1:39 am

I'm probably in the minority, but I wasn't happy with the convergence of mess. For my arcade cab, I only want arcade ganes, not consoles, not some long forgotten calculator. Mame has truly become a real mess, lol. I will keep my pre-mess 0.155 version indefinitely unless some huge breakthrough is released.

There has been a huge decline in arcade emulation interest in general since the peak ten years ago and that has also affected progress and getting unemulated games to the working list.

Why don't we have Dragon's Lair, or Sega Model 1 / 2 / 3 games playing? There really is no reason other than lack of interest. I dont buy technical challenges as being the reason, if there is a will there is a way. A lot of the original MAME programmers probably have lost interest like Aaron Giles who contributed to great lengths a decade ago but now is off the scene.

The only solution is to get a younger generation somehow interested in the arcades of yore, which would be like asking yourself to get interested in your dad's ham radio club.

GoBlueMike21
Gamer Supreme
Gamer Supreme

Post by GoBlueMike21 » March 18th, 2016, 9:32 am

oldschoolplaya wrote:I'm probably in the minority, but I wasn't happy with the convergence of mess. For my arcade cab, I only want arcade ganes, not consoles, not some long forgotten calculator. Mame has truly become a real mess, lol. I will keep my pre-mess 0.155 version indefinitely unless some huge breakthrough is released.

There has been a huge decline in arcade emulation interest in general since the peak ten years ago and that has also affected progress and getting unemulated games to the working list.

Why don't we have Dragon's Lair, or Sega Model 1 / 2 / 3 games playing? There really is no reason other than lack of interest. I dont buy technical challenges as being the reason, if there is a will there is a way. A lot of the original MAME programmers probably have lost interest like Aaron Giles who contributed to great lengths a decade ago but now is off the scene.

The only solution is to get a younger generation somehow interested in the arcades of yore, which would be like asking yourself to get interested in your dad's ham radio club.

Oldschool, Dragon's Lair works fine (as well as the rest of the Digital Leisure games) and I also believe the Sega Model games work as well, granted, they are different emulators but to be able to relive those old glory days is possible. I agree though, gonna be tough to pass the torch with all the stuff these kids have at their disposal today.