Scary games

This forum is designed for gamers to come together and socialize.
starlingmax
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 3

Scary games

Post by starlingmax » June 25th, 2013, 9:57 pm

Well, the forum has been really quiet lately, so I thought an off topic thread would be nice!
Okay, the question I expect you guys to answer is... wich is the scariest games you ever played and why.. AND you can't mention neither the silent hill or resident evil series... I'll start!

One of the scariest games I played would be "CONDEMNED: criminal origins" a brilliant first person perspective game in wich you have to strike guys using baseball bats, pipes... etc. You also have a tazer gun that charges automatically over time. The game really gave me the chills while I was playing it, the atmosphere is awesome... I highly recomend this one to everybody... here's a video to ilustrate.

Yeah yeah... sure, no problem.. ehhmmm well... bye...

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Re: Scary games

Post by Nostalgia » June 26th, 2013, 3:32 am

Never really gotten 'scared' from a game, but if I had to choose one then it would be my favourite game :)

The 'scary' factor isn't really about skeletons popping out and other cheap scare tactics though... It's more about being scared of losing heaps of progress or getting stuck somewhere without humanity and having to tough it out alone (no humanity = no help from others). This scary factor sort of goes away a bit once you get decent at the game but it's still there for me in a few select locations (mainly the bonus content as I still feel a little unfamiliar with it compared to the original content and also find it way harder).

starlingmax
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by starlingmax » June 26th, 2013, 9:48 pm

I see what you say Nos, I played some MMORPGs myself and I remember that "scary" feeling of losing maybe 4 hours of leveling because of some high level mob that might kill you if you are not careful enough.

By the way... you say you never felt scared playing a game? well then, I dare you, I double dare you, actually I dare everybody, to play "SLENDER: the eight pages" in the dark using headphones! If you do this and don't feel scared... well, you're really brave :P The game is freeware so.. anybody can download it and play it.

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » June 27th, 2013, 4:53 am

Hmm, I think a lot of games would actually scare me quite a bit in that type of setting. Good point.

ChameleonAlpha
Guru Extreme
Guru Extreme
Favorite Game: KOF 96

Post by ChameleonAlpha » June 29th, 2013, 12:02 am

Clock Tower has a pretty disturbing premise that creeped the hell out of me when I was a kid. I think the first one was a graphic adventure for the SNES. Family friendly console, right.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » June 29th, 2013, 1:56 am

Even allowing for Resident Evil and Silent Hill, my scariest game ever is Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, exclusively for the Nintendo GameCube in 2002. Famous for its patented sanity effects, it's the only game I can remember to ever give me strong nightmares. Unlike the sudden pop-up frights that are common in other horror games, Eternal Darkness gradually accumulates a sense of Lovecraftian dread that seeps into your very soul as the story of mankind's encounters with "the Ancients" weaves through thousands of years of history.

Brilliant game! Talking about it makes me feel like dusting off the cover and firing up the Cube for another descent into madness.

:devlish: :ohmy:

starlingmax
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by starlingmax » July 7th, 2013, 1:11 am

Hierophant wrote:Even allowing for Resident Evil and Silent Hill, my scariest game ever is Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, exclusively for the Nintendo GameCube in 2002.
I always wanted to play that game.. but I don't have a gamecube, neither a good pc that can run a gamecube emulator :P but I have never imagined that this game could be so "nightmarish" now I want to play it even more!
ChameleonAlpha wrote:Clock Tower has a pretty disturbing premise that creeped the hell out of me when I was a kid. I think the first one was a graphic adventure for the SNES. Family friendly console, right.
I've never played the playstation version, but I played the SNES one, a fan translation in fact. Its one of those criptic games in wich you are clueless most of the time until you somehow realize what you got to do (no wonderwall reference intended :P) I found it disturbing, I bet the PS version is even better.

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » December 9th, 2013, 1:28 pm

I did what you suggested starlingmax and played Slender in the dark at about midnight with headphones. Definitely pretty creepy. I find Vapour even worse though, well the old version anyway (see vid).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... PYkG-jZxqI

Staff Edit: Removed vid embedding. PewDiePie warning (strong language in other words).

starlingmax
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by starlingmax » December 12th, 2013, 8:56 pm

I'll make sure to test this game Nos, it looks really creepy!
I don't know why, but indie horror games are really good, I think it's because they have total creative freedom... look what happened to the dead space saga when EA took control of the franchise...

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » December 13th, 2013, 3:18 am

I feel like i'm the only person who hasn't played any Dead Space game yet lol.