My New PC

This forum is designed for gamers to come together and socialize.
Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

My New PC

Post by Hierophant » June 17th, 2012, 12:36 am

Hey guys, I finally got my new PC! :woot:

This is huge leap forward over my poor old P4, which was pretty much just a glorified typewriter by now. It's like going from a beaten up old Volkswagen to a brand new Ferrari!

These are the basic specs:

OS - MS Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

CPU – Intel Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz

RAM – 32GB RAM

GPU – AMD Radeon HD 7970

The Phantom case provides a great view inside. Now that's what I call windows for PCs! I took this photo with the flash on to display it all clearly. There are colour LEDs in there so the hardware is normally bathed in a spacey blue light. Cool!

NEW PC MAME PERFORMANCE – THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY

Here are performance stats from my new PC for gameplay of some of the more demanding MAME games (mostly real-time 3D polygon games). I'm using MAMEUI64 0.146 with only minor adjustments to the default options (mainly enabling multi-threaded rendering). Whenever this section has anything new added I'll make an update post in the thread.

Updated on Jul 17, 2012.

GOOD

Good games run their gameplay at a solid 100% full performance on my new PC. Since these games don't waver, no further explanation is needed, so just the game and rom names will be listed for the good games.

Brave Blade (brvblade)
CarnEvil (carnevil)
Die Hard Arcade (diehard)
Fighting Layer (fgtlayer)
G-Darius (gdarius2)

BAD

Bad games have some fluctuations in performance on my new PC, but maybe not bad enough to make them too annoying to play. However, if there are extended periods of heavy slowdown and choppy audio, I normally won't bother playing such games in the long run. Therefore, these can be quite a mixed bag.

Gauntlet Dark Legacy (gauntdl), Gauntlet Legends (gauntleg) – These two are borderline cases between being bad and/or ugly. I decided to file them under bad for now. They can cruise along at or near 100% for fairly long stretches of close up action; although, if the camera is in a position to pick up more stage background areas, or zoomed out for boss fights, performance can drop down to about 60-70%. Boss fights take a long time and the slowdown and choppy audio quickly become tiresome, so I won't be looking at these again any time soon.

NFL Blitz (blitz) – Generally runs at about 90% during on-field gameplay. Apart from some minor audio stutter it seems reasonably playable to me. Well... as playable as it can be for an Aussie who only has a very limited grasp of grid iron.

UGLY

Ugly games have such poor overall performance on my new PC that they are rendered unplayable in any meaningful or enjoyable way.

Gradius 4: Fukkatsu (gradius4) – This one never stays still. Even when performance is around 100% the counter is constantly jumping around. Depending on what's happening on screen, overall performance varies wildly. I've seen it go as low as the 40% range.

Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth (starsldr) – Never gets much over 50% during gameplay and sometimes dips as low as about 30%. Ugh!

Atheistpanic
Gamer Supreme
Gamer Supreme
Favorite Game: Killer Instinct

Re: My New PC

Post by Atheistpanic » June 17th, 2012, 4:25 am

...yup, I'm a little envious; although it gives me a point of reference for potential upgrades to my own PC. :bow:
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not."
***Kurt Cobain***

gpzjack
Guru Supreme
Guru Supreme
Favorite Game: 1943

Post by gpzjack » June 21st, 2012, 9:45 am

Are you using this computer for MAME?

Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter
Favorite Game: QBert Ms Pacman

Post by Thulsa » June 21st, 2012, 10:37 am

Hah you can finally play some high 3d polygon count mame games. Welcome to the future. Well for maybe you the late 90's! lol
My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.
~Thulsa Doom~

jyarrison
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Golden Tee

Post by jyarrison » June 21st, 2012, 12:51 pm

Awesome Hiero. When I got my new pc (which is inferior to your new setup) you asked me to give it the ultimate test: Gauntlet Dark Legacy. So now I'm asking you the same. I love playing NFL Blitz and my pc handles it fairly well but there is the occasional slowdown which is a little annoying. Not sure if you're into Blitz but if you are, I'd love to hear how it actually runs on your hardware and not just a benchmark test.

Congrats on the new supercomputer!! :thumbsup:
JY

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » June 22nd, 2012, 5:00 am

After waiting for so long to get a new PC, the first thing I did after getting it all running OK was to check out a range of real-time 3D polygon games in MAME (MAME32 Plus! Plus! 0.119 specifically - that's the one I have most games for). The results were... mixed; some good, some not so much. I would say that, from what I've briefly seen so far, home PCs still have a long way to go before they catch up with everything that MAME can throw at them.

What I wanna do soon is make a setup of current stable MAME 0.146 and all of the more demanding games and post some performance stats for you guys. I'm not into doing any of that overclocking and benchmarking stuff (there are already plenty of way more qualified dudes for that, eg. - http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sh ... =5&o=&vc=1). Any figures I report will just be done with my machine running in it's stock standard state.

Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter
Favorite Game: QBert Ms Pacman

Post by Thulsa » June 30th, 2012, 6:34 am

Check out G-Darius and let me know what you think.

One of my favorite Horizontal shooters.
My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.
~Thulsa Doom~

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » June 30th, 2012, 10:32 pm

I will let you know, Thulsa. I'm still working on the MAME 0.146 setup that I'm gonna test all this stuff on. G-Darius didn't run that great on the old P4 so I didn't really play it back then. I predict it run well on the new i7, though.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » July 17th, 2012, 4:57 am

UPDATE

As promised, I've submitted some general MAME performance info from my new rig. For easy access, I've organised it all into a section of the opening post called "NEW PC MAME PERFORMANCE – THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY".

The games that JY and Thulsa requested are included and I may add more games as time passes. If anyone has any other useful requests, feel free to lemme know.

Thulsa, G-Darius is a lotta fun to play now that it runs at constant 100% performance. :V:

jyarrison
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Golden Tee

Post by jyarrison » July 19th, 2012, 6:34 am

Thanks for that update Hiero. I'm sure you are already aware of this but for some of those bad games, changing the audio frequency from 44K (default) down to 22K can give a nice boost in performance.
JY