Pinball MAME!?

Although we like to keep it MAME only here, if you just HAVE to post about other emus, then here you go.
PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Re: Pinball MAME!?

Post by PantherUK » October 23rd, 2014, 12:59 am

I've finally got mine up and running with the latest VP, no graphical glitches and smooth as hell, but a new problem has appeared... Even though I have redefined the keys to fit with my X-Arcade, every time I use a flipper it coins up :arg: lol I'll sort it out later..!
Ooer... No pictures...

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » October 23rd, 2014, 1:09 am

Good to know you got the graphics sorted, but that coin on flipper button key binding problem must be really annoying. :ouch:

PantherUK

Post by PantherUK » October 23rd, 2014, 1:13 am

Yeah it is mate, did make me chuckle though at first, I was like why is it making that noise..? Emulators, gotta love 'em... :rofl:
Ooer... No pictures...

starlingmax
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 3

Post by starlingmax » October 23rd, 2014, 2:18 am

Hi guys, I have some questions (since I'm new at the pinball scene).

What is considered an average score at Medieval Madnes? and a good score? and an excelent score?

Some tips for a pinball newbie?
Yeah yeah... sure, no problem.. ehhmmm well... bye...

jyarrison
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Golden Tee

Post by jyarrison » October 23rd, 2014, 3:00 am

As far as a good score, I'll hold off on that until Hiero posts his score on the table. That will give us all a good target number to shoot for.

What I can tell you is to just relax and have fun playing pinball. If you get tense and and try to look at your score is when you'll loose your ball.

Tip for a newbie on this table.....Destroy the Castle(s)!! Biggest points in the game along with some good multiball play. Have fun! :hello:
JY

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » October 23rd, 2014, 3:30 am

One way to get your bearings, Max, is to look at the default high score list for Medieval Madness:

Grand Champion:
  • SLL 52,000,000

Highest Scores:

• 1. BRE 44,000,000
    2. LFS 40,000,000
    3. ZAP 36,000,000
    4. RCF 32,000,000

JY's tips are spot on. It's like playing a game of pool. The more relaxed you are, the better you tend to play.

jyarrison
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Golden Tee

Post by jyarrison » October 23rd, 2014, 8:23 am

Hierophant in 'The Thulsa Doom Challenge!' wrote:
Well, Max, I've gotta admit, making new "pinball guys" is one of the goals for me. I feel I must justify my spot in the Pinball People Gallery!
:ninja: :ohmy:
Yeah I have to agree with Hiero on this. If this introduces more people to digital pinaball/pinmame, then it is a success. I was introduced this exact way. A few years ago one of the Challenges was a pinball game. I was not much of a pinball player as a kid but i decided to load it up to take part in the challenege. It was so cool! I was blown away by what could be done with "virtual pinball".

I am in the process of building a virtual pincab now due to this discovery. I should post some pictures on here when i get a chance to show you the current state, very rough at the moment, but playable! When my friends see this they are even more amazed than they were at my MAME cab.
JY

starlingmax
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 3

Post by starlingmax » October 23rd, 2014, 10:30 pm

Hierophant wrote:One way to get your bearings, Max, is to look at the default high score list for Medieval Madness:
Thanks Hiero, I actually thought about that, but since in so many games Highscores are so easy to surpass, I discarded the idea of paying attention to the Highscore list... Just imagine if one guy thinks he is good at final fight just because he surpassed the default highscore, that guy would have a very wrong idea of his abilities!
So, you are saying that default Highscores on pinballs (or maybe just medieval madness) are respectable?
jyarrison wrote:Yeah I have to agree with Hiero on this. If this introduces more people to digital pinaball/pinmame, then it is a success. I was introduced this exact way. A few years ago one of the Challenges was a pinball game. I was not much of a pinball player as a kid but i decided to load it up to take part in the challenege. It was so cool! I was blown away by what could be done with "virtual pinball".

I am in the process of building a virtual pincab now due to this discovery. I should post some pictures on here when i get a chance to show you the current state, very rough at the moment, but playable! When my friends see this they are even more amazed than they were at my MAME cab.
Well, consider me introduced, I'm loving visual pinball! I used to like pinball machines as a kid, but it was just a waste of coins! I only lasted for a few minutes... and when you are a kid every coin (we use coins in my country, not cents) counts!
So now that it's free i'm thrilled!

I'm eager to watch some pictures of your build man. And thanks for the advice!
Yeah yeah... sure, no problem.. ehhmmm well... bye...

PantherUK

Post by PantherUK » October 24th, 2014, 12:38 am

My VP is all sorted now, after a bit of research I just had to edit the keys for coins 1 and 2 in the VPMKeys.vbs script... :thumbsup:
Ooer... No pictures...

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » October 24th, 2014, 3:16 am

I agree, it would be mad to see how your pincab is going, JY. Those things are just too awesome!

Hey, Max, the reason I mentioned the default high score list is simply that it does give you something tangible to aim for in the absence of other players' scores while we wait for the real competition to begin. By the way, that should be pretty soon now that Panther is good to go. You wanna at least be Grand Champion of your own machine in the meantime.

Funnily enough, when I was a youngster my mates and I would sometimes play pinball over video arcades if we wanted to make our spare change last. It just depended on the machine. One time, my mate Bluey and I lasted almost a whole school day, which we wagged, on just two coins each! The machine was Stellar Wars. We cracked the game at least 20 times each and heaven only knows how many extra balls we got!

My pinball addiction used to get me into all sorts of mischief back in those days. My mate Ayrebugs and I once got caned by the headmaster after trying to sneak back into school late from lunch because of the Bally Star Trek pinball in the milk bar across the road. Haha, my sister Ky and her best friend Kimbo saw the whole thing unfolding from their classroom and were in tears of feminine hysteria!

Ahhh... precious pinball memories! As a veteran of the real thing, I reckon that VP does a fantastic job of keeping the spirit of pinball alive. That's extremely important in this day and age when you consider that, if not for the continued survival of Stern Pinball, real pinball would virtually be a lost art form by now.