Pinball MAME!?

Although we like to keep it MAME only here, if you just HAVE to post about other emus, then here you go.
jyarrison
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Golden Tee

Re: Pinball MAME!?

Post by jyarrison » August 17th, 2012, 11:11 am

Setting up Visual Pinball can be frustrating. I just followed a YouTube vid exactly and luckily for me everything turned out. It is a newer vid than the on posted by ybenny so maybe it would help people to follow this guide. As I said it did work for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZtkOvb8YnY

Good Luck! :boxing:
JY

PantherUK
Favorite Game: Final Fight

Post by PantherUK » August 17th, 2012, 2:59 pm

Hierophant wrote:Be careful not to run a VP9 table in VP8. That's not gonna work out well as there's no compatibility between VP8 and VP9. If you wanna run VP9 tables then you're gonna have to install VP9. To date, Phoenixx is still MIA and hasn't released his VP9 Visual Install Pack*.

So, that's something to watch out for. Most table authors are diligent enough to put some info about a table being for "VP9 only" in the download area.
I just replaced VP8 with VP9.12 after the install, then updated VPinMAME to 2.5 and it works fine...
Ooer... No pictures...

jyarrison
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by jyarrison » August 17th, 2012, 8:46 pm

Don't give up on this people. It is a blast to play some of these tables. I had blown off this emu for quite a while before finally getting serious about it. I'm glad I did!

PS - if you are a fan of South Park at all, you must download that table. It is hilarious!!!!
JY

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » August 18th, 2012, 4:13 am

PantherUK wrote:I just replaced VP8 with VP9.12 after the install, then updated VPinMAME to 2.5 and it works fine...
That is fine if you only wanna run VP9, but then you'll run into problems with the good old VP8 tables if you don't have a parallel VP8 setup:

VP9 compatibility? - http://www.pinballnirvana.com/forums/sh ... php?t=6903

jyarrison
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by jyarrison » August 18th, 2012, 7:06 am

You're right about that Hiero. The instructions in the YouTube video I linked cover that. These are step by step instructions on installing VP9 but it is backward compatible with VP8 tables also. There must have been some major graphic enhancements between version 8 and 9 though because everyone on the VP Forums is saying how much better the VP9 tables look.

Now I need a spare 47" LCD to build a virtual pinball cab
JY

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » August 18th, 2012, 11:02 pm

jyarrison wrote:You're right about that Hiero. The instructions in the YouTube video I linked cover that. These are step by step instructions on installing VP9 but it is backward compatible with VP8 tables also. There must have been some major graphic enhancements between version 8 and 9 though because everyone on the VP Forums is saying how much better the VP9 tables look.
OK, then I'm guessing the vid demonstrates a parallel VP8/VP9 setup (haven't had time to watch it yet; it's quite long) because VP9 on it's own is not backwards compatible with VP8 tables. Regardless of VP9 improvements, here's an example of why you'd still want VP8. I picked the VPM table indexes at VPF for the letter "G" at random:

VP8 Downloads "G" - http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?autom ... pp=25&st=0
Total tables - 26

VP9 Downloads "G" - http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?autom ... =A-Z&pp=25
Total tables - 8

As far as graphics go, it completely depends on the author. Trust me, any table designed by JPSalas/JP & Groni/Scapino will still look amazing in VP8. Using the above example again, there is no Guns N' Roses for VP9 in the VPF downloads at the time of writing. However, you can still play a great version of Guns N' Roses by Lord Hiryu & JPSalas from the VP8 downloads at VPF.

Behold! - http://www.pinballnirvana.com/modules/U ... s/1545.jpg

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » August 19th, 2012, 9:07 pm

Hmmm... I found it interesting to note that when I visited PN today, there was something on the home page that I hadn't noticed before but is kinda related to the point I raised about VP9 table availability at VPF. It appears that a VP9 mod of Hiryu & JP's Guns N' Roses VP8 table was added at PN on Thu Jul 19, 2012:

http://www.pinballnirvana.com/UpDownloa ... 2_Mod.html

Don't ask me why it isn't at VPF yet. When it comes to VP, you can't always expect to find all your eggs neatly packed in one basket. It pays to look around.

:wink:

gpzjack
Guru Supreme
Guru Supreme
Favorite Game: 1943

Post by gpzjack » November 21st, 2012, 1:48 pm

i have the bug now. I tried messing with it today. Seems alot more involved than regular mame. I can't figure it out. LOL. I'm leaving for vacation. I'll play with it when i get back.

ebarlow99

Post by ebarlow99 » May 30th, 2013, 1:15 pm

did everyone get there VP up and running....I can also help if needed! :thumbsup:

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » October 22nd, 2014, 12:57 am

Here's a snap I took of the table we're gonna be playing in the next Thulsa Doom Challenge - Medieval Madness! :woot:

"Get away from my castle, you filthy, wretched peasant!"