Pinball MAME!?

Although we like to keep it MAME only here, if you just HAVE to post about other emus, then here you go.
frankencois

Re: Pinball MAME!?

Post by frankencois » December 17th, 2009, 11:41 pm

Dude this is probably the best thing to ever happen..... well except for mame of course.

so once you open how do you play it

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » December 18th, 2009, 2:17 am

G'day :hello:

Hey, you stole my line! :hehe:

To know how to play pinball tables once you've got everything setup you just need to know these buttons:

3,4 and 5 = insert various amounts of coins with 5 being a single coin on most tables
1 = Start (press again as needed for multiplayer games on tables that support this)
Enter = Launch Ball
Left Shift = Left Flipper
Right Shift = Right Flipper
z = Nudge from Left
/ = Nudge from Right
Spacebar = Nudge forward
Escape = Pause (then R = Resume or Q = Quit)

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » December 6th, 2010, 8:49 am

Hiero got me into this tonight, so far I only have The Simpsons but wow. Just wow. If it looked any more real it would be scary!

:party:

Truly awesome indeed. Thanks again mate.

Definitely looking forward to trying many of the other greats out.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » December 7th, 2010, 3:16 am

At last, Nos joins the ranks of the pinball freaks! :woot:

Nos, I looked into the table d/l problem at JPGPins. I checked at Pinball Nirvana (PN) and JPGPins tables are available in PN's d/ls section. Not sure if you have to be registered at PN to use their d/ls but give it a shot anyway. You kinda still need to use the JPGPins site as a reference to know what specific tables to search for at PN. Table authors are listed in each d/l entry.

Guys, don't forget about what I regard as an essential component for pinball pleasure, Fartian's excellent VP-Man front end:

http://www.fartian.eu/vpman/index.html

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » December 17th, 2010, 6:53 pm

It looks like Thulsa is also getting on the VP bandwagon - viewtopic.php?p=5513#p5513. Cool, more silverball mania at MA! :woot:

Here's a vid that Thulsa told me about which helped to convince him of the awesomeness of the VP project:

clessx
Gamer Extreme
Gamer Extreme
Favorite Game: Progear

Post by clessx » December 19th, 2010, 8:43 am

Hi again :hello: , thanks very much helping me to solve the hi score problem with mame. :thumbsup:

I read about Visual Pinball first time while browsing mameaddicts forums and considering getting into it, but I have one simple question to ask + can it be played by a gamepad ? I somehow had a feeling it was supposed to be played by keyboard but I hate using kb for games and so....

I love pinball and I"ll give it a try tonight but I thought I"d ask anyway

Thanks

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » December 19th, 2010, 9:37 pm

To be honest, the keyboard controls for VP are excellent so I never bothered trying to play it with a controller. I did recently learn from helping Thulsa get his VP set up that the controls are not easy to change. He wants to add VP to his MAME cab but it looks like he needs to learn more about his keyboard encoder to get the controls in a good configuration. From that experience I'd say that VP needs Xpadder or similar software to play on a gamepad.

clessx
Gamer Extreme
Gamer Extreme

Post by clessx » December 19th, 2010, 10:11 pm

I have installed the Phoenix"s Installer from pNirvana site , and then browsed for tables around thenet , dled a few I liked. 2 of them worked normally , but others fail to run.

I put the table file (with blue pinball icon) in the tables folder , and then select and execute play, but then a message comes rom files missing cannot run. The tables" zip file only contains a single file , being the table file. What am I missing here ?

And also I noticed in some tables zips , there are visual basic scripts and some other files I have no idea where to put them. are they all meant to be in "roms" folder ? Finally what should I do if tables"s music is provided seperately as an mp3 file ?

Thanks !

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » December 19th, 2010, 10:41 pm

Phoenixx's VIP adds a full set of .vbs files to the Tables folder, so normally there's no need to overwrite what he put there. MP3s go in the Music folder.

You're screenshot is not loading for me. Even though you didn't tell me the names of any tables you grabbed, I can take an educated guess that the ones that are working are romless VP recreations. The ones that are not working need compatible VPM roms, as indicated by the error message. The only problem with that at the moment is JPGPins' site d/ls are currently not working, although the tables are still easily obtainable on this page at PN:

http://www.pinballnirvana.com/UpDownload.html

clessx
Gamer Extreme
Gamer Extreme

Post by clessx » December 20th, 2010, 7:07 am

After spending some time, I have got simpsons and some other tables to work. Long time I havent played pinball and its fun and good for stress relief for short breaks , loving it.

I also noticed I cannot run some tables even I have the rom and table files (from creator"s site) . I checked and noticed that they are meant t be used with visual pinball 9 , while I have version 8 (I have installed easy install package). It seems I have to upgrade to 9 , but not sure how to do it my current setup... :mellow: