Board index Other Emulators Pinball MAME!?

Pinball MAME!?

Although we like to keep it MAME only here, if you just HAVE to post about other emus, then here you go.
Post January 4th, 2009, 2:08 pm
Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I've been MIA for a few days due to ongoing investigations into a really cool thing I found called Visual Pinball (VP) and VPinMAME (VPM). It's the most awesome thing ever, well, apart from MAME of course. I'm sure all you hardcore MAMERS must've already heard of this before, but I still thought it would be fun to throw it out there for other newbies like me.

If anyone wants details just ask me and I'll try and make a post with some links, (I say "try" because I've never tried to put links in a forum before. I assume you just need to enter a complete URL and it will turn into a link, right? Lol, told ya I was newb!) ;)

Post January 5th, 2009, 4:58 pm
Maxrage User avatar
Guru Supreme
Guru Supreme

well try and post it im sure we would all enjoy a lil pinball because they sure are expensive

Post January 5th, 2009, 7:56 pm
Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

No worries mate. Here's the place to start:

http://www.vpforums.com/modules/Jig/index.php (EDIT: D'oh! VPForums is no more. Go to Pinball Nirvana instead. They have Phoenixx's installer there. See below.)

Best way to go - I always bookmark the homepage of a site I'm gonna use a lot first, (sorry if I'm being Mr. Obvious here). Register with them. Once that's done click the "read more" thing at the bottom of the Welcome to VPForums section of the homepage. This will take you to the full message that has a link to a no fuss, newb friendly install package. I figured it all out so I'm sure most anyone could manage it. Anyway, even if someone stuffed it up completely by now they're registered with VPForums and can ask the friendly people there for help if the solution can't be found in a thread search.

As with MAME I've found that there a quite a few quirks to getting everything you can out of Visual Pinball (VP). There have even been a couple of occasions where I found myself making adjustments to the developers code for a table's script to fix some problems. Don't be discouraged by that though, as it was all made relatively easy by the gurus at VPForums. Anyway, it's all part of the adventure, right?

Here's a list of some other useful links associated with Visual Pinball:

http://www.pinmame.com/

http://www.pinballnirvana.com/index.html (EDIT: This is the place. The installer download is the animated pinball display near the top.)

http://www.irpinball.org/

http://www.pinball-originals.com/

http://www.jpgpins.kilu.de/

MmmHmm...JPGPins, ah...yes... if you want a good reason to look into this phenomenon go here first. I will try to upload an image or two in my next post. Most of the addresses in the previous list are for tables downloads and few other bits and pieces.

For roms, go to the Internet Pinball Database (IPDB).

Well that's it for now. Whilst I'll be curious to find out what people here have to say about VP, please don't ask me for troubleshooting tips and suchlike here at MameAddicts. That's what VPForums are there for. (EDIT: Or not!)
Last edited by Hierophant on February 27th, 2012, 8:50 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Reason: The death of VPForums

Post January 5th, 2009, 8:47 pm
Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Errrm...heh heh...I did it. Hey people, check out these pics! I'd say they're fairly self-explanatory. One thing they don't explain is what it's actually like to play these masterpieces. I'm here to tell ya folks, it's a riot. :hehe:

Oh yeah, these tables are both from that http://www.jpgpins.kilu.de/ place I was drooling about before, so get hooked up!

"Q, we don't have time for your games."

"Would you like a Squishy?"
Last edited by Hierophant on August 20th, 2009, 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post January 6th, 2009, 5:45 pm
Maxrage User avatar
Guru Supreme
Guru Supreme

yeah maybe im silly but ive followed what the vpinball easy installer says to do put table in the table folder and r0m5 in the other and it keeps telling invalid set what give now im the noob DOH

Post January 6th, 2009, 8:35 pm
Incito User avatar
Founder
Founder

Wow that's emulation! Look like the real deal! Gonna have to check that out, and tilt the heck out of it. :twisted:

Which PinMAME rom did you use?

Post January 6th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Maxrage wrote:
yeah maybe im silly but ive followed what the vpinball easy installer says to do put table in the table folder and r0m5 in the other and it keeps telling invalid set what give now im the noob DOH

I'm not sure if I'm meant to be providing help for VP here at MameAddicts, so here is a link to VPForums:

http://www.vpforums.com/forum/search.ph ... hid=151416 (EDIT: Again, this info is not valid now due to the loss of VPForums)

If you can't find an obvious solution in these threads I can also suggest you try a more refined search. VPForums search thing needs a search type entered, like this: Please Choose>Forums>type your query. If that don't fix you up you could try adding a question to an existing recent thread similar to your question, or as a last resort start your own thread.

Hope that helps you out Maxrage :)

Post January 6th, 2009, 9:36 pm
Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Chris wrote:
Wow that's emulation! Look like the real deal! Gonna have to check that out, and tilt the heck out of it.

Which PinMAME rom did you use?

You like the pics Chris? Cool. To say that JPG tables are photo-realistic doesn't seem to do them justice. Totally Hyper-Realistic Complete!?

I used the method I described previously as "Best way to go" which takes you to Phoenixx's Install Package. This is important because his VIP installs the latest versions of both Visual Pinball Editor and VPinMAME together in one, as well as a bunch of other stuff like VBScripts, etc. That's enough to get you started, oh, along with a table file and parent rom of course.

Or if you are feeling adventurous and have programming knowledge (which I don't) you could start creating your own table in VP Editor (good luck with that)!

Funny you should say that thing about tilting, Chris. There is actually a function in most tables called "Slam Tilt" which emulates the real-life pinball machine's ability to sense abusive contact and instantly call for a Game Over. You lose any remaining balls as well as the balls of other players if it was a multi-player game. Like you say, that is emulation.

It was all a happy accident that I stumbled across VP. I vaguely remember that I was doing some kind of search for MAME-related roms and noticed something in my periphery to do with roms for Visual Pinball. I thought, hey that sounds fun, bookmarked it, and forgot all about it for a few days. And well, now here we are...

Post January 7th, 2009, 5:01 am
Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I thought I'd show you guys another JPGPins table. This one's a hoot! Although there are many developers of VP tables, JPGPins are at the pinnacle of the art. I managed to capture this screenshot in the middle of a multiball (not an easy task)! Hopefully you've got your own VP up and running by now so you don't need me to tell you how well these things actually play.

"Sacre bleu"
Last edited by Hierophant on January 24th, 2009, 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post January 9th, 2009, 6:20 pm
Maxrage User avatar
Guru Supreme
Guru Supreme

ok i posted at that vp forums they wont help me because i dont have enough posts and they told me to make sure i like pinball b4 i dowload a bunch of tables so all im asking for is a file that has everything its not like i want them to build me a pinball machine i want 1 file that has everything so if anybody can get me that or can direct me to that it would be great

Next

Return to Other Emulators

Google+