Console Emulation

Although we like to keep it MAME only here, if you just HAVE to post about other emus, then here you go.
Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Re: Console Emulation

Post by Hierophant » September 21st, 2015, 8:35 pm

I'll see if I can get Dreamcast working in Demul some time and let you guys know. Could be nice for anyone who, like me, never played Shenmue.

Voljega
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by Voljega » September 22nd, 2015, 12:32 am

Well I still have the original console anyway so...

Demul was one of the two I tried... nothing was happening at all when I launched emulation.

I forgot to mention the funniest emulation I tried with a very custom method : the Virtual Boy with a Google Cardboard Headset !
http://www.droidgamers.com/index.php/ga ... -cardboard

Works very very well, but the infamous rumoured :sick: factor is definitely there even when you're not that sensible to VR dizziness like myself

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » September 22nd, 2015, 12:43 am

Woohoo, I did it! :woot:

Run Sega Dreamcast Games in Demul - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2421

FPU
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by FPU » September 22nd, 2015, 7:37 am

Thanks, that worked for me. Just played Mortal Kombat (323MB). Another point worth noting is that when unpacking them, don't bother unpacking all the nested .rar files. It's difficult and I don't think you can unpack the spanned files correctly without 7-zip (I only have basic winzip). Just unpack the .cdi file, select it with the GD-ROM menu and Run Dreamcast. There was a little bit of fiddling through the memory cards but in the end it worked.

Voljega
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by Voljega » September 23rd, 2015, 12:56 am

Thanks it worked too ! I just wasn't using the right plugin for GDRom.

I tried Cannon Spike, Virtua Fighter 3Tb and Soul Calibur and it's perfect !

One slight problem : It doesn't seem possible to choose a resolution setting (in video) which keeps the correct ratio for both windowed mode and full screen.
For the correct ratio in windowed I have to use stretch but for full screen it's 4:3.
Well it's really only a minor thing.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » September 23rd, 2015, 2:36 am

Cool, I'm glad it works for everyone. :hello:

Still got your Dreamcast, Voljega? Nice, dude! I never owned one, so much of it is news to me. I was too wrapped up in some other consoles back then and before you knew it, *Puff!*, Dreamcast was gone. At least it won't be forgotten.

FPU, I noticed somewhere you're using v0.7 of Demul. I haven't tried that version yet. It's an alpha build so I was wondering how stable it's been so far.

Voljega
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by Voljega » September 23rd, 2015, 3:00 am

Yep and it is still working, one of the defect of the Dreamcast being that part of the console rom is kept alive by a battery and a capacitor and if you keep it disconnected with no adapter for more or less 6 months it becomes a useless piece of plastic and empty microchip ! :bored:
I still really like the kinda 90s cyberpunk hacker's deck design of the thing !
But it was doomed from the start as a system, the games library was too much arcade compared to the PS2, when even the console games world was already leaning toward more AAA productions and it was much too easy to use pirated games.

It was my first console actually, as a kid all my friends and I were on the Amstrad CPC / Atari ST and then PC side of things.
By the way it someone knows a good CPC emulator wich uses the .disk format but is able to load the games automatically without having to use the load"game and run"game commands in the BASIC interface I would be really interested.

I used the 0.7 alpha version of Demul too, it seems pretty stable, although like FPU said there seems to be sometimes issues with the VMU.
After my first message I tried Powerstone 2 and Crazy Taxi there were both working very well too

FPU
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by FPU » September 23rd, 2015, 4:53 am

Voljega wrote:Thanks it worked too ! I just wasn't using the right plugin for GDRom.

I tried Cannon Spike, Virtua Fighter 3Tb and Soul Calibur and it's perfect !

One slight problem : It doesn't seem possible to choose a resolution setting (in video) which keeps the correct ratio for both windowed mode and full screen.
For the correct ratio in windowed I have to use stretch but for full screen it's 4:3.
Well it's really only a minor thing.
Have you tried 16:9?

Voljega
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by Voljega » September 23rd, 2015, 5:11 am

Yes, and this does not put the correct ratio in windowed mode neither full screen...

I have the following result :
stretch -> windowed : ok, full screen : distorted
4:3 -> windowed : distorted, full screen : ok
16:9 -> windowed : distorted, full screen :distorted

FPU
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by FPU » September 23rd, 2015, 5:38 am

Hierophant wrote: FPU, I noticed somewhere you're using v0.7 of Demul. I haven't tried that version yet. It's an alpha build so I was wondering how stable it's been so far.
Works fine. Got about 12 games working across Dreamcast, Naomi/Naomi2, Atomiswave, Cave CV1000, and System SP (runs off Naomi).

Only problem is Sega Strike Fighter. Splits into several small screens and can't make main screen large again???