Console Emulation

Although we like to keep it MAME only here, if you just HAVE to post about other emus, then here you go.
Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Re: Console Emulation

Post by Hierophant » January 23rd, 2012, 8:12 pm

Saturn was a real 2D powerhouse. When I first saw the beautiful hand drawn graphics in Astal at a friends place back in the day, I could hardly believe my eyes!

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » July 10th, 2014, 1:01 am

Found something pretty cool, it's a standalone emulator for Castlevania: Rondo of Blood. Saves having to play around with PC Engine emulation and includes controller support, graphics options and save states. They've done a really good job with the whole thing. I'm not super familiar with the original version but it appears like the whole game is here and it's only a 50MB download.

I've been playing quite a bit even though I suck at it. Details for download in this video's description:

Also just wanted to add, I love how creepy the music is in Rondo when you're close to a boss... You always know it's about to get serious when you hear this music!

FPU
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by FPU » September 20th, 2015, 10:36 am

Found some great Playstation emulators for 1 and 2:

PS1
http://www.epsxe.com/download.php

PS2
http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/

Tried Tekken 5 and Raiden III on the PCSX2 and RayCrisis - Series Termination on ePSXe. All worked very well, simple GUI interface.

FPU
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by FPU » September 20th, 2015, 10:40 am

Tazuto wrote:i could never get my PS2 emulator working, but i did get the ePSXe(playstation 1) emulator working so i can play my fav old games like Legend of Dragoon
Try this thread, it helped me get mine working but is was pretty straight forward with the build bot version.

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php? ... ost1821897

FPU
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by FPU » September 20th, 2015, 10:44 am

Nostalgia wrote:Have you guys seen Shinobi X on the Sega Saturn before? It looks awesome!
There is a 3D version of Shinobi for the PS2.

Voljega
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by Voljega » September 20th, 2015, 12:13 pm

Well I spent a large amount of my vacation time on emulation (trying games and cleaning romsets) and I must say I'm pretty delighted.

Everything up to the 16-bit generation works like a charm.
Sega 32x and SegaCD works good, even if the later has not a very good compatibility ratio
Jaguar is not really well working and the game list is not that interesting anyway
I couldn't get Saturn to work at all and it's one on the most complicated thing ever regarding emulation I think.
N64 is pretty crap emulated and the best emulator comes fully loaded with malware
Gamecube is OK but not so much
PSX is simply amazing with the latest ePSXe 1.9.25 works amazingly well with more than 95% of roms I tried working, Heart of Darkness being the most heartbreaking exception
PSX2 is on a good way too, PCSX2 even in its 1.1.0 version works really well, but my PC isn't even powerful enough, graphic card seems ok but the i5 frequency doesn't to be even to avoid major fps drop problems in most games, except vsfighting games, 2D games and not-so-demanding 3D games...

Now is time to try the Recalbox !

Voljega
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by Voljega » September 21st, 2015, 5:30 am

I also wasn't able to make Dreamcast emulation work with cdi iso format... Anyone knows how to do that with a good emulator ? I tried two of them, to no avail.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » September 21st, 2015, 7:44 am

I haven't tried that yet. Got Demul, but so far I've only ever used it as a MAME supplement for NAOMI and Atomiswave stuff which goes off MAME ROMs.

FPU
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by FPU » September 21st, 2015, 5:49 pm

So far I've got Demul working for:

Confidential Mission
House of the Dead 2
Ikaruga
Zero Gunner 2

But Sega Strike Fighters does something weird, splits into 3 small screens.

FPU
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by FPU » September 21st, 2015, 6:27 pm

The Dreamcast side of it doesn't seem to work for me and since I have ePSXe and PCS2 emulators for PS1&2, it seems like a lot of hassle for very little. Plus all the ROM downloads for Dreamcast are multi-layered .rar zips and it's just a pain.