Console Emulation

Although we like to keep it MAME only here, if you just HAVE to post about other emus, then here you go.
Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Console Emulation

Post by Nostalgia » March 23rd, 2010, 11:39 pm

Just thought I'd post up some different emulators to MAME, and console games that myself and some friends have been playing.

MAME is the king, but it doesn't hurt to mix it up from time to time :mario:

Ok so here are two great console emulators that use Kaillera for online play (P2P/regular server) just the same as MAME does. You can find them easily through Google:

SNES9k990z (SNES emulator)

Project64k (Nintendo 64 emulator)

As I just mentioned, these emulators use Kaillera just the same as MAME does. If you're unfamiliar with how to use/set up Kaillera then check out the following link because Hiero wrote the book on it a while back:

http://www.mameaddicts.com/phpBB3/viewt ... ?f=9&t=316

Although P2P is two players maximum, it should always be chosen over a server when you only have two players. The gameplay in P2P is lag-free.

I've found the most fun so far is while playing the Mario Kart and Mario Party games, but keep in mind that the libraries of games on these consoles are huge so don't feel as though you should only be playing Mario games! :link:

Lots of single-player fun to be had as well.

This thread will be updated from time to time with more console emulators, screenshots from online sessions, and anything else that seems appropriate such as top games lists, solutions to common problems, etc. Please feel free to contribute.

Please keep all related questions, etc, in this thread. This is an arcade forum, not a console forum.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Re: Console Emulation

Post by Hierophant » March 24th, 2010, 12:53 am

Great idea, Nos! I have a feeling this topic is gonna be a lotta fun. :woot:

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » March 24th, 2010, 11:28 pm

Yeah mate!

:woot:

So many awesome games... I'm pretty keen to go back and play through Donkey Kong Country on the SNES again.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » March 26th, 2010, 1:01 am

Uh oh... I still haven't gotten around to having my first ever play through of Donkey Kong Country yet. Bit of an oversight on my part.

:ohmy: :blush:

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » March 26th, 2010, 1:18 am

Alright, here's a quick description of what Nos mentioned before with Kaillera P2P.

From what we've tested so far (namely snes9k and Project64k) it would seem possible that any emu with Kaillera support can also be played in P2P. To give it a try, it's just a matter of swapping out the pre-packed standard Kaillera .dll with the far superior Open Kaillera .dll, available here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?2g5zw2nzivz

If you're not sure what we're talking about then go check out the Open Kaillera P2P thread.

Also gotta take my hat off to suits00, who wrote the original book on normal Kaillera server play here at MameAddicts in the Online MAME thread. You'd be well advised to read up on his words of wisdom, too.

:hello:

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » June 21st, 2010, 7:31 am

For something a bit different, try Wheel of Fortune for the n64!

Just like the tv show, there are three contestants and you can buy vowels, etc etc. I know for sure that you can play 2 players but i'm not sure about 3. I think that constestant might just always be cpu controlled.

Anyway, it's pretty cool and something you could easily just chill on ventrilo and play at somewhat of a more slow pace than you would in say, a fighting game.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » July 3rd, 2010, 8:54 pm

You seem to have a real fascination with Wheel of Fortune at the moment, Nos. Guess we'll have to play it online sometime.

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » July 3rd, 2010, 11:46 pm

Haha yeah mate, something a bit different. Got it on Sega CD now too!

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: X-Men

Post by Seraph » August 27th, 2010, 7:58 pm

When I get back home I want to seriously dive into this topic. It's too big for me to mention it in the next 5 mins. MMM..... consoles!
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt... and I'm all out of bubblegum. - George Nada (They Live)

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Post by Incito » August 27th, 2010, 11:21 pm

I am sorta a fan of psx emu cause it has all the bios and such all in one package. It is also more lightweight than the epsxe. You ought to check out Zophar's Domain for all these emus. That site has a good list of them. http://www.zophar.net/psx.html